Best 180mm R lens for hand held shooting

Shu_downunder

Advertisement (gone after registration)

5 hours ago, Shu_downunder said:

I have a 1.4/80, which is 690g, plus 270g = 950g. nearly as heavy as 2.8/180mm.
The benifit, though, is that I do have an equiv. of 2.8/160mm. which could be cool. And, I don't need to purchase anything. 
I might just give it a try this weekend. 

One can see your calculation with other eyes too. The 2.8/160mm weights 270g only, because you already have/carry the 80mm.

Last Sunday I made a test with my 135mm Elmar (f/4) giving 180mm on APS-camera and my Telyt 180mm with a lens booster (Metabones), also giving 180mm. And finally the Telyt single at the larger distance of 10 meter.  Pictures of the Color Checker in my bookcase all equally large, 3 samples of 3 pictures. In the middle (the Color checker) of the best result pictures no large differences, but the Telyt single gave the best result still. I´ll try the Siemens star too.

PS. On a not so super tripod.

Edited by jankap

For me it is definitely the APO Elmarit 180/2.8. I’m time and again surprised by the lack of movement blur when I see the results. The smooth focus handling seems to help there, because you support the system easier because you can very precise focus with your little finger

13 hours ago, a.noctilux said:

I'm happy to have custom made my grips at right size for my use ( for decades now, on Leica R then and now on M , time pasts so quick ).

For Shu, as I never used the Apo-Extender x2 with the Summilux-R 80mm.

Out of curiosity, tried  to hand hold and focus the setup

it is very usable ...

showing how I would focus with two fingers and still firmly holding the set

Really good invention! I guess I can handle something heavier if I copy your way!

9 hours ago, jankap said:

One can see your calculation with other eyes too. The 2.8/160mm weights 270g only, because you already have/carry the 80mm.

Last Sunday I made a test with my 135mm Elmar (f/4) giving 180mm on APS-camera and my Telyt 180mm with a lens booster (Metabones), also giving 180mm. And finally the Telyt single at the larger distance of 10 meter.  Pictures of the Color Checker in my bookcase all equally large, 3 samples of 3 pictures. In the middle (the Color checker) of the best result pictures no large differences, but the Telyt single gave the best result still. I´ll try the Siemens star too.

PS. On a not so super tripod.

In my particular case, I don't need to consider the overall, or additional weight of all the gear, but the actual weight when I'm shooting 180mm. Unless you mean I use the 80mm on the body, and add the 2x extender when I need longer length, in the same trip. If that's the case, I'd better use 80-200 instead.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Shu_downunder said:

In my particular case, I don't need to consider the overall, or additional weight of all the gear, but the actual weight when I'm shooting 180mm. Unless you mean I use the 80mm on the body, and add the 2x extender when I need longer length, in the same trip. If that's the case, I'd better use 80-200 instead.

OK, OK. Have you tried the combination? The question is, that you will use the 80mm at f/1,4, at least that would be my first try. But the 80mm at f/1.4 is not at his best, I suppose.

26 minutes ago, jankap said:

OK, OK. Have you tried the combination? The question is, that you will use the 80mm at f/1,4, at least that would be my first try. But the 80mm at f/1.4 is not at his best, I suppose.

No. I will give it a try this weekend and report here. F1.4 is already very good to me, in most cases. 

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 4/23/2021 at 9:05 PM, Shu_downunder said:

I wonder what in your experience is the best for 180mm when using hand held?

4/80-200 which I have is really good. However the zoom is not always what I want and the additional weight and length become a drawback.

2/180 is apparently not the best for hand held.

So for F2.8, F3.4, and F4:

Would F3.4 APO is best option which balance in terms of image quality and light weight? The only drawback I could think of is closest focusing distance of 1.7m, although not that bad comparing to the 1.5m of the Elmarit.

I had and used the Elmarit-R 180/2.8 for a time. It was a lovely lens but very heavy, to the point where I didn't use it much. 

I have and use the Elmar-R 180/4. It's light, the imaging qualities are just fine by me (a little lateral CA, a little longitudinal CA, easily cleaned up in post). It works very nicely with the 2x Extender-R as well. I used it with the M-P240 and SL bodies, now I use it with the CL body (and very occasionally the R6.2 or Leicaflex SL, as well as adapted to the Hasselblad 907x). 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Sizzle, Valentine Bear
Leica SL + 2x Extender-R + Elmar-R 180mm f/4
ISO 400 @ f/8 (f/16 effective) @ 2.5 sec

G

Edited by ramarren
  • Like 2