What's wrong with this negative?

bags27

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The past several rolls, at least 2 or 3 photos have these blotches at the top. I must have fallen into a bad habit, but it's hard to figure out what. I've been really careful about keeping the 120 rolls tightly rolled and in the dark. All my dark room procedures have remained constant (at least I've thought so) from before this became an issue. Thoughts? Thanks!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Yes, bubbles up against the edge of the reel. Usually either not enough developer or fixer and/or not enough agitation, but also can be caused by not rinsing off wetting agent from tank and reels after the final rinse of the previous batch, so soapy bubbles. If in real life the bubbles look a little grey try refixing the film although the damage is done.

• Like 1

Did you say it was 120 film ?

the black spots look like light leaks, pin holes if it is a cloth shutter, but are they on other negatives or just this one ?

The bubbles look unusual with black edges. Can you show a picture of the negatives, more than one if possible, the whole width of the film upto the edges.

How was the picture you  have shown made, darkroom or scanner?

Edited by Pyrogallol

Thanks so much, all.

I see it on HP5 and Tri-X. None of these has been true standing development. The longest has been HC110 1:120 (726mm for a single 120 roll). 30 seconds inversion followed by 15 seconds/3 minutes.

I seems to be happening on around 3 or 4 shots/roll and not necessarily consecutive. 

I'm pretty sure I clean out the tank and reels well, but I'll try to be more careful.

Developing some tomorrow, and will report back.

Thanks!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

If you fill the tank all the way up to the top there is no air space to allow the chemicals to be stirred up when you turn the tank over. I just put a bit more liquid in the tank than the correct amount for the size of spiral, 35mm or 130. It has worked fine for almost 50 years.

• Like 2

Thanks again, all. The problem hasn't recurred, and perhaps it is because I've gone more to a semi-standing approach that does involve filling the tank to the top. I appreciate your suggestions!

15 hours ago, Pyrogallol said:

If you fill the tank all the way up to the top there is no air space to allow the chemicals to be stirred up when you turn the tank over. I just put a bit more liquid in the tank than the correct amount for the size of spiral, 35mm or 130. It has worked fine for almost 50 years.

Right, leave just a little air space. You don't actually need anywhere near as much agitation as is widely believed. Inverting and rotating the tank is all that is necessary. But don't leave the tank motionless! 'Stand' development was used in the old days, with glass plates placed perfectly horizontal in developing trays. It is incompatible with roll film held vertically in a tank.

Edited by Ornello