Leica I, 1930?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Based on the serial number 47601, am I correct in assuming this is a Leica 1 from 1930? 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

A gold "Leica" lens cap on a Leitz camera? 

Sure, the cap could be 'after-market' but, as Jerzy points out, the gold plating - particularly on the lens barrel - is too too shiny so I too doubt that it's genuine unfortunately.

Pete.

1 hour ago, farnz said:

A gold "Leica" lens cap on a Leitz camera? 

Sure, the cap could be 'after-market' but, as Jerzy points out, the gold plating - particularly on the lens barrel - is too too shiny so I too doubt that it's genuine unfortunately.

Pete.

And the condition is too pristine. Still, a breath of fresh air to see a well-executed replica instead of the Ukrainian low-grade fakes.

16 minutes ago, pippy said:

Excuse me if I'm reading the OP incorrectly but isn't the question simply whether it is a Leica I? There is no mention of it being a Luxus in the first post.

Philip.

Exact Philip.

Yes it's a Leica I (A ?) from 1930 if we take the serial n° in account.

one of 25,183 of the year 1930 production

gold coated later 🙃

• Like 1

Is there anything 'non-Leica' about this apart from the finish and covering? I recently saw something similar on ebay, clearly a genuine (III series) Leica under the gold plating and reptile skin, priced above a normal camera but not remotely in the Luxus range. Is someone doing Luxus-style refinishing as a service? Gold plating isn't in itself an expensive process - the price a genuine Luxus goes for is of course all about rarity, not materials.

Edited by Anbaric

For me it is really a Leica I A of 1930 on the photograph all that one sees is correct and corresponds to the model I A, it was surely plated thereafter by a rather good craftsman, it is true that the reptile coating is a little too obvious! Often at Westlich they are sold more expensive than the equivalent black model. 

Philippe

• Like 1

Effectively a replica with a coating that I have already seen close to paper nothing to do with a real reptile skin. But in a showcase it will have its effect.

Pierre

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Some examples of lizard skin coverings (fake and original).