SLING BAG FOR LEICA SL2-S WITH A SIGMA 35mm f2 ATTACHED

kitreyes

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Ok, hear me out. I know this is a VERY POPULAR subject, but I want to keep this thread open to suggestions for bags that are NOT Billingham or Oberworth. 

I am looking for a durable and not very fancy sling bag that can comfortably fit an SL2-S with the Sigma 35mm f2 attached, plus a spare battery, and possibly an iPad Air 2020. No extra lenses. Something for when I walk around doing urban street photography and doesn’t look like there’s expensive gear inside. 

I am not interested in Billingham or Oberworth or anything designer targeted towards Leica users specifically. 

All I can find now on the internet in terms of reviews are the PD 6L or the Moment Rugged Sling 6L. If you use them, can you show me how it looks in the bag. 

What do you use?

Edited by kitreyes
Added a few points

Use (next to 3 other bags) the Thinktank Sling O Magic 10 when traveling light. Smart design that allows you to wear left and right. Nice small bag.

8 hours ago, kitreyes said:

I am looking for a durable and not very fancy sling bag that can comfortably fit an SL2-S with the Sigma 35mm f2 attached, plus a spare battery, and possibly an iPad Air 2020. No extra lenses. Something for when I walk around doing urban street photography and doesn’t look like there’s expensive gear inside. 

What you describe fits easily

I'm using this one: https://www.tenba.com/en/products/dna-15-slim-messenger

It's priced fair and worth every penny. I'm using it with the 24-90 attached, and it leaves space for the 100-400 Sigma or two M/R primes plus batteries, filters, charger and whatnot. There's also space for a 13" Macbook, but I find it too cramped. An iPad, however, would work. There are smaller siblings plus a tad spacier twin, which isn't labelled slim.

These messenger-styled bags are of good quality, thought-out, and don't cry photo. Plus, they don't use leather, which is, for me, more important than ever.

I challenge bags from a professional perspective, meaning they must have a small footprint, work as a friendly and versatile company on a journey, protect the gear as advertised, and leave no room for annoyances. I don't expect them to be a collector's item, nor is my camera. That's why Oberwerth or Billingham are not on my list. 

• Like 1

Beside other bags :D I have a Thinktank Retrospective 7 for many years and it still is my most favorite shoulder bag. It's a very durable, not too fancy but very functional and well thought out bag.

The Retrospective 7 is maybe a bit too large for what you are asking, but the Retrospective 5 or 6 could fit your bill. 

Cheers

Daniel 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

2 hours ago, hansvons said:

These messenger-styled bags are of good quality, thought-out, and don't cry photo.

I’ve heard good things about Tenba, and my colleague who is a cinematographer swears by their backpacks. Would my setup fit fine on the DNA 8 you think (might have to sacrifice the iPad) or is the 10/11 better? I think the 15 will be too big for my day to day photo carry as I already own a normal-sized messenger bag. 

Well I did that wrong, but the link should take you to my post (#10) about the PD6. Great bag, but may be larger than what you want. I too don't care for the leather trimmed canvas bags. I find them pretentious and they scream tourist!

Edited by Rob L

13 minutes ago, Rob L said:

I too don't care for the leather trimmed canvas bags. I find them pretentious and they scream tourist!

Haha same. No so much that they seem pretentious, but the style of the Billingham is too feminine for me. And they’re ugly. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder I guess. 

One word on the SL-2 and size. We all know that the SL-2 is more of the size of a conventional DSLR than of a modern mirrorless, which makes it leaving a bulge in a bag that is too slim.

3 hours ago, kitreyes said:

Would my setup fit fine on the DNA 8 you think (might have to sacrifice the iPad) or is the 10/11 better?

I ordered the 15 Slim and an 11, but sent the 11 back, because it was too tight for my needs. Can't remember though if the bulge issue was too pronounced. But I do remember that  the 11 wasn't deep enough for the 24-90 combo. If I were you, I'd do the same. You'll be amazed how little the footprint of the 15 Slim is compared to similar sized bags. Perhaps the 11 meets exactly your needs.

• Like 1

the PD 6L fits the SL2 with one lens attached , the iPad Pro 11 is not a good fit since you have to get everything out of the bag to get it in and out. if I ad the 24-90 the bag is difficult to zip up. I always run out of room. the front pocket is useless once you have a few lenses inside. I would not buy it again.

everyone has different requirements. this Billingham was less the $200 and it is 10 years old and still presentable, rain proof and durable. plus it is the one of the lighter bags.

I have a dozen thinktank and temba, donkey bags that don't look good after a few years of normal use.  zipper problem, rubber gets old, straps anti slip coating falls apart .

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Photoworks said:

I have a dozen thinktank and temba, donkey bags that don't look good after a few years of normal use.  zipper problem, rubber gets old, straps anti slip coating falls apart .

That's what we call in German Zahn der Zeit / tooth of time (ravages of time). Mostly, you get what you pay for. I'd be delighted if there was a manufacturer for high-end messenger bags that don't explicitly tell the photographer story and have a small footprint. 

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Rick in CO said:

A LowePro Passport Sling is very unobtrusive, inexpensive and the inside can be customized as needed. I've had mine for years and while it is beginning to have some stitches unravel, the replacement cost is not a concern.

Completely agree - and you can use it perfectly well with the 24-90 with hood reversed.