New Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG DN coming in a few days

Simone_DF

First reviews I have seen say that the Leica SL 2/35 shows somewhat better correction for CA wide open, but stopped down a little it becomes impossible to see which lens is used in a given photo. And Leica costs 5x more. Sigma is truly amazing.

• Like 3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

13 hours ago, Simone_DF said:

I wonder about AF performance. The Sigmas are inconsistent in AF-C

I think if you want solid, top-class AF-C performance, there are better systems than the L mount cameras. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, oldwino said:

I think if you want solid, top-class AF-C performance, there are better systems than the L mount cameras. 

That's for sure. It's no secret that the L mount is at the very bottom of AF-C performances.

But what I meant is that the Sigma AF-C performances are worse in comparison to Panasonic and Leica lenses.

This is not just an issue in L mount, apparently the Sigmas have similar issues on Sony bodies (though I don't have a Sony anymore to confirm).

• 4 weeks later...

I have one on backorder at Adorama forever it seems. I don't use AF-C much, so that doesn't bother me. what I am interested in is a 35mm lens that can match the Summicron through most of the aperture range and actually the Summicron can't match the Sigma at f/1.4. 

For $899?

It's a no brainer for me, can't wait to shoot it. perfect companion for my Sigma 85 DN

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, thatkatmat said:

I have one on backorder at Adorama forever it seems. I don't use AF-C much, so that doesn't bother me. what I am interested in is a 35mm lens that can match the Summicron through most of the aperture range and actually the Summicron can't match the Sigma at f/1.4. 

For $899?

It's a no brainer for me, can't wait to shoot it. perfect companion for my Sigma 85 DN

It seems that the 1.4 is a bit of a half way house. Neither as good as the 1.2 nor as compromised as the 2.0. I think that if you want a companion to your 85 DG DN then you’ll probably need to look at the 35 1.2 …

• Like 1

From all the videos and reviews I've seen it sure looks like it, but I guess I'm going to find out, as,  another vendor had one in stock and I'll get it Thursday.

I owned the 1.2...it stayed in the bag because of it's size. I have the 35/1.4ZM and the Canon 35/1.4mkII as well, was just hoping to find a native option that isn't HUGE with AF.

I'll give it a shot ....Who knows, maybe mine's gonna be the one copy that's awesome :)

14 hours ago, thatkatmat said:

From all the videos and reviews I've seen it sure looks like it, but I guess I'm going to find out, as,  another vendor had one in stock and I'll get it Thursday.

I owned the 1.2...it stayed in the bag because of it's size. I have the 35/1.4ZM and the Canon 35/1.4mkII as well, was just hoping to find a native option that isn't HUGE with AF.

I'll give it a shot ....Who knows, maybe mine's gonna be the one copy that's awesome :)

This is something that bothers me about the L mount system compared with Sony E mount. Sony make a number of high quality fast primes that are smaller and less expensive than their counterparts in just about every other system. 24mm f1.4 G, 20mm f1.8, 35mm f1.4 G, even the 55mm f1.8 is very small compared with a good fast 50 from any other company.

The Sigma 35mm f1.2 looks great, but I'm more likely to use it only for very specific paid work, due to its size and weight.

I'm leaning towards Panasonic because I've used and loved their cameras for a good eight years, but the lens options are either fast, heavy and high quality, or smaller but much slower. The Panasonic f1.8 primes are promising but only one has been released so far, and it remains to be seen how the 24, 35 and 50 perform.

As for the Sigma 35mm f1.4 DN, it's still bigger than the Sony 35G. I'm sure it's a great lens, but not at that size and weight.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Archiver said:

As for the Sigma 35mm f1.4 DN, it's still bigger than the Sony 35G. I'm sure it's a great lens, but not at that size and weight.

They are both big, although the Sigma is slightly bigger. You need to look at the Sigma f:2.0 for something significantly smaller (or an M-mount 35/1.4).

• Like 1

On 5/29/2021 at 12:52 PM, Archiver said:

The Panasonic f1.8 primes are promising but only one has been released so far, and it remains to be seen how the 24, 35 and 50 perform.

According to a recent Nokishita leak, the Panasonic 50mm 1.8 will be announced this week

Here's the first leaked pictures

Holy cow, from what I've been reading I expected my 35 1.4 DN that I just got today to be pretty good, was hoping for decent, I figured the CA would be terrible and the close up focus wouldn't be as sharp as my other lenses. Some of the reviews for this lens just got me worried I guess.

What I got was an amazing 35mm lens that is VERY sharp wide open, close up or mid range. The CA didn't "catch my eye" I almost forgot to look for it because it looks "normal" I guess...For a fast prime...Not bad at all, in fact, pretty good, so i don't know what everyone was looking at and frankly don't care now :)

The bokeh is BEAUTIFUL and the contrast gives it cool 3d effect and rich Artistic look. Definitely not the sterile bokeh from the past. Build is amazing, AF is lightning fast, focus is DEAD on...It feels perfect on my SL2s, not heavy at all, definitely doesn't feel big (but I've been adapting Canon L primes and using my Noct. so....) 

Perhaps this lens is from a new batch (I missed the 1st batch I think) I'm glad I sold my 35 Summicron SL and WOW...did I find an AF replacement for my 35/1.4ZM ??? I'll try and post some pics If I can shrink em small enough for this forum.

Who knows, maybe Leica will come out with a 35/1.4 from Japan and sell it for $2995

Edited by thatkatmat
  • Like 7

Am 4.6.2021 um 03:43 schrieb thatkatmat:

Who knows, maybe Leica will come out with a 35/1.4 from Japan and sell it for $2995

Here is a nice review

https://dustinabbott.net/2021/04/sigma-35mm-f1-4-dn-art-review/

The Cons say it all (and the Pros are also very good - sharpness/AF)

Cons:

• Too sharp?
  • Larger and heavier than GM lens

So it could be a good alternative to the Summicron SL.

A 1,4/35 from Japan? I don't think Leica makes this with primes. But who knows

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, TeleElmar135mm said:

A 1,4/35 from Japan? I don't think Leica makes this with primes. But who knows

I was 1/2 kidding regarding the 35 :)

Here's some samples, all wide open on my SL2-s, I love the rendering wide open, handles flare like it doesn't exist and is very punchy.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by thatkatmat
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

and a couple wide open with 100% crops

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

... Mr. Kabe must have a consultancy agreement with Sigma :)

without kidding. It looks good to me. Nice bouquet and the sharpness is also looking good but not to harsh. Teh only thing I dislike is the left part from the portrait in 100%. It's looking a bit unnatural - but that could come from the 100% viewing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/12/2021 at 6:12 AM, thatkatmat said:

I was 1/2 kidding regarding the 35 :)

Here's some samples, all wide open on my SL2-s, I love the rendering wide open, handles flare like it doesn't exist and is very punchy.

These images look great! Since you have the Distagon 35, can I ask you to take pictures of the same scene for comparison? The Distagon 35 is my favourite M mount lens, and I have a S5 on the way, so I'm wondering if the Sigma is a reasonable alternative with autofocus.

• Like 2