Are all S006 (potentially) affected by corrosion?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

This is probably going to be a stale topic, but I couldn't find a conclusive answer on it in a hurry. 

Are all S006 (potentially) affected by the corrosion problem or only individual batches? If the latter, can this be inquired in advance by serial number at Leica? Are used S006s with a replaced sensor protected against renewed infestation?

If the answers are all negative in this regard, I have to ask honestly, how could anyone even consider such a model in recent years if it can become a total loss at any time? 

And does anyone know what can favor or possibly prevent the development of corrosion?

3 hours ago, Frühlingsbote said:

This is probably going to be a stale topic, but I couldn't find a conclusive answer on it in a hurry. 

Are all S006 (potentially) affected by the corrosion problem or only individual batches? If the latter, can this be inquired in advance by serial number at Leica? Are used S006s with a replaced sensor protected against renewed infestation?

If the answers are all negative in this regard, I have to ask honestly, how could anyone even consider such a model in recent years if it can become a total loss at any time? 

And does anyone know what can favor or possibly prevent the development of corrosion?

Yes, it will happen sooner or later for all of original ones. And for one with replaced sensors, it will not happen again per Leica. 

everything comes with a price. If price is attractive enough, people will buy with original sensor. Shooting at wider aperture is fine. So you can clone the spot out. Comparing You buy a new camera, the depreciation will be more than modest charge for a beautiful S006. 

10 hours ago, ZHNL said:

Yes, it will happen sooner or later for all of original ones. And for one with replaced sensors, it will not happen again per Leica. 

everything comes with a price. If price is attractive enough, people will buy with original sensor. Shooting at wider aperture is fine. So you can clone the spot out. Comparing You buy a new camera, the depreciation will be more than modest charge for a beautiful S006. 

From where do you get your information?

9 hours ago, djmay said:

From where do you get your information?

Well, be a S users long enough will have lots of chance to talk with store and customer service even headquarter people in Germany. 

which above info you refer to? Maybe quote directly so I can answer more specific. 

38 minutes ago, ZHNL said:

Well, be a S users long enough will have lots of chance to talk with store and customer service even headquarter people in Germany. 

which above info you refer to? Maybe quote directly so I can answer more specific. 

All S006 cameras

Advertisement (gone after registration)

7 minutes ago, djmay said:

All S006 cameras

I was told by Leica NJ that Leica found out sensor problem and solution after stop 006 and SE and have 007 in production for years already. So all original 006 have the same sensor cover glue are prone to corrosion over time.

I have seen 006 cameras with almost zero use show random corrosion spots. 

I know of no statement from a reliable Leica source that all S006 sensors are affected. A Leica store employee is no different than a Toyota store employee when it concerns specific information about a product component.

I have been told false information on many occasions by people who repeated rumors; Leica and other manufacturers. Since I have been bound by confidentiality agreements I could not reply. 

If such a statement from Leica exists, I would be interested to know.

6 minutes ago, djmay said:

I know of no statement from a reliable Leica source that all S006 sensors are affected. A Leica store employee is no different than a Toyota store employee when it concerns specific information about a product component.

I have been told false information on many occasions by people who repeated rumors; Leica and other manufacturers. Since I have been bound by confidentiality agreements I could not reply. 

If such a statement from Leica exists, I would be interested to know.

I don’t think this could be a NDA case (telling us there is problem free original 006)

if you disagree with this statement about corrosion root cause and time line, I am all ear if you have evidence or inside info to share. 

the problem cause is well known. The key is time line.  It is not a rumor by any stretch but more a common logical sense to me. 

I don't know about the S006, but I know my fair share about the S2. My S2 is affected. Leica Customer Support in Wetzlar (Kirstin Masney and Gerald Wagner) claim not all Leica S2 units are affected and do not qualify the issue as a production or design flaw, and therefore will not replace the sensor free of charge, but will charge 3'800 Swiss francs, about the same in USD for a sensor switch, which is absolutely ridiculous.

If it isn't a design or production flaw, what is it? User error?

This kind of behaviour is incredible for a company like Leica. I escalated the issue up to the CEO (Matthias Harsch), to no avail. They won't even answer specific questions and just tell you that you can repair or exchange or basically go away. They will give you 2'200 Swiss francs (2000 Euros) trade in value for the S2 to buy a S3 (18'500 CHF) or a factory refurbished S 007 for 6'800 CHF (trade-in already deduced). These prices are ridiculous for clients who spent close to six figures on Leica gear over the years.

There is absolutely no recognition that it is their mistake and make absolutely no effort to solve the issue in a decent client-oriented way. Incredible considering the price of this system and the reputation of the company

Posted (edited)

That’s part of the frustration with Leica Service; the haves and have-nots.  Some get fast and/or free service for a given issue, while others experience extreme delays and/or pay a significant amount.

The lack of clear and transparent communication regarding the source of some issues, and corresponding service policy, exacerbates the problem.  With M cameras, the company eventually ‘comes clean’ and addresses an issue (M8 LCD screen, M9 sensor corrosion), but only after complaints here and elsewhere from the vital M customer base.  (Even then, there are reports of disparate  service treatment.) Leica S system owners don’t seem to have the same clout or warrant similar attention.  There still is no clear statement from the company on the exact cause of S lens AF motor issues, or the extent of the problem.  After M8 screen issues, Leica reps responded directly here on the forum regarding the cause, and issued a policy response. 

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

Here was the response from Leica, posted directly on the forum by Stefan Daniel, regarding M9 sensor glass corrosion, including  an explanation, an apology to customers and a policy statement.  I’ve never seen anything comparable with any S related issues.

Jeff

Am 22.4.2021 um 19:45 schrieb djmay:

I know of no statement from a reliable Leica source that all S006 sensors are affected.

I had already written this in the other thread - I directly emailed Wetzlar (in German) shortly after writing the post. A day later I received the answer that the Leica S 006 can have sensor problems and this can not be excluded by serial number etc.. From this, one can only deduce that it can affect any Leica S 006, unless the sensor was subsequently replaced. 

Leica seems to make no secret about this when asked. At the same time, the answer did not give me the impression that they want to be of great help. 

In this respect, I have to agree with PetersDreams.