Hypothetical question: which zoom to keep?

solareslarrave

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Which one would you keep between these two: the 28-70 f3.5-4.5 ROM, or the 35-70 f4, also ROM?

Just for kicks... and because I'd like to know what you'd do. I hope never to be in that predicament, though. Right now, I only have one body: a black R8, but I'm expecting delivery of an anthracite R9 from Germany. I also got a 50mm Summicron ROM last week.

Thanks!

vor 5 Stunden schrieb solareslarrave:

Which one would you keep between these two: the 28-70 f3.5-4.5 ROM, or the 35-70 f4, also ROM?

Just for kicks... and because I'd like to know what you'd do. I hope never to be in that predicament, though. Right now, I only have one body: a black R8, but I'm expecting delivery of an anthracite R9 from Germany. I also got a 50mm Summicron ROM last week.

Thanks!

Hi Francisco, 

I would actually sell them both and buy a Vario-Elmarit-R 28-90 mm ASPH f/2.8-4.5 instead! It is a wonderful zoom both on the R and SL. It may be difficult to find at a reasonable price, though. Even a beaten up lens like the one I found 4 years back may be around $2,000. My lens had been serviced by Leica and still works perfectly. They just didn't have spare parts for the focus ring which was worn out from the outside. 

- Matti

48 minutes ago, solareslarrave said:

That's an idea I didn't think about! Thanks, Matti! Now... the problem will be to find one under $5000.

I’ve seen them for $3k recently, box, case and in great shape.... Leica Store SF just had one ...

7 hours ago, msh58 said:

Hi Francisco, 

I would actually sell them both and buy a Vario-Elmarit-R 28-90 mm ASPH f/2.8-4.5 instead! It is a wonderful zoom both on the R and SL. It may be difficult to find at a reasonable price, though. Even a beaten up lens like the one I found 4 years back may be around $2,000. My lens had been serviced by Leica and still works perfectly. They just didn't have spare parts for the focus ring which was worn out from the outside. 

- Matti

I entirely agree. Here in the UK Red Dot (who support this Forum) has two specimens, one at £3.5k and the other at £3.7k. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

vor 10 Stunden schrieb solareslarrave:

That's an idea I didn't think about! Thanks, Matti! Now... the problem will be to find one under $5000.

Also, if you add Vario-Elmar-R 21-35 mm f/3.5-4 you will have the wide angle end well covered as well. The 21-35 is another excellent zoom Leica introduced at the twilight of the R system.

- Matti

• Like 1

Thanks to all of you for your kind advice. I started exploring the interwebs and found one copy of the 28-90 in the US at a "reasonable" price, and then another at the auction site, for a bit less (which is more "reasonable"). Seems to me that I will put the 28-70 on the selling block at some point later this year. I must admit that I'm somewhat attached to the 35-70 f4 because I like the constant aperture.

I have seen the 21-35 R for sale... Looks like it's even more scarce than the 28-90... The good thing about these lenses is that I can use them as well with my Nikon digital gear with an adapter, so they'll be doing double duty. In any event, I'll see what I can do with our Lady of the Bank Account.

Again, thanks for your suggestions!

Edited by solareslarrave