SL2-S Firmware Coming soon ūüĎŹ

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I would advise members that fighting and above all personal attacks are not allowed on this forum. I had to delete 21 (!) posts from this thread, unfortunately including some innocent bystanders. Even then, consistency may be slightly impacted. Feel free to express your opinions but do so in a respectful manner to fellow members.

Posted Images

Can someone who has NOT upgraded to v2.0 check the situation with user profiles?

If I set a profile, it normally shows in the quick start (icon-based) menu as a profile number. In v2.0, if I switch off the camera and switch on again, it does not show the profile number unless I select that profile again. This is annoying - you cannot quickly check that you have the chosen profile..

I am sure that in the previous version the profile number would remain on display, whether or not you turned the camera off, until you actually changed one of the camera settings. This could be just my faulty recollection though, so I'd be grateful if someone would check it.

There is a further one-off irritation in that, after updating the firmware and reloading the profiles, the profile numbers will not display in the quick start menu, even when you select them (the profile settings appear to be 'set' though, which is odd). You have to Save the profile again - then the profile numbers will be displayed - until you switch the camera off!

30 minutes ago, Kim Dahl said:

do not think Leica is betting on customers like us - photojournalists.

The field of photojournalism is wide. I'm kind of working in that realm from time to time and don't need an AF that can track bird's eyes in a millisecond. I don't do sports either. I do people, portraits and am relying on the situation and on the moment. That way, a great AF can be helping. But the joy of working with the Leica on the set and later in post outweighs potential technical flaws that are not show-stoppers and make my pictures better. And in that regard, the LS-2s AF options are sufficiently fast and reliable. But if I relied on AF more than anything else like sports photographers do, I'd buy the latest Canon 1d iteration without thinking. Horses for courses.

On the video side, for me, the AF is a non-issue. I am pulling focus for 20+ years, and I'm happy to do so in the next 20+ years. Focus is part of the storytelling in filmmaking, and thus in my line of work not a thing left to AF. But I can see that other people have valid arguments for a great continuous AF that will do wonders in certain situations, such as selfies and walking interviews. But I can't stand walking interviews and don't film my face either, so I don't miss the AF. 

Regardless, Leica's next generation of professional cameras must have an industry-level AF System to stay relevant. Outstanding colour and lenses don't outweigh the flawed video AF for many potential customers. The SL line is not the M line.  

That being said, the new waveform monitor is a very welcome addition. And many other things make the SL-2S a better video camera too, like the option to split video files in 1min chunks for safety or use LUTs for viewing and Log for recording. The last one is huge and essential for professional filmmaking.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, Daniel C.1975 said:

A R5 with 2.0 28-70 was very tempting

I have an R6 and the 28-70 f2.. AF is lightning fast and reliable.. what I am truly drooling for is the R3.. I’ll be swapping the R6 right out when it’s becomes available 

3 hours ago, Kim Dahl said:

I have to agree with Steven. AF is very important for a photojournalist. I have been a photojournalist for 30 years.

There are many photo assignments in one day (4-10) and the requirements for the best result are getting higher and higher. Quick to be able to switch from photo to video, with good AF !.

Today where I was in a fatal accident in a car accident (for my newspaper) - things just have to work fast.

Right now I'm testing Canon R5 (today I has Nikon D5 and privat Leica) and next week Sony A1 (we have already got it on loan)

I do not think Leica is betting on customers like us - photojournalists.

I do not more believe that Leica is able to improve AF so it comes in line with the cameras that are on the market today -Sony A1 - Canon R6 / 5.

My point I love Leica - the colors - leica M etc etc etc .

But as Steven writes: Do not lie to any new customers that AF in a Leica is in line with the best on the market - or just close. There are so many other qualities Leica needs to brand itself on - but not AF.     Sorry.

Agreed, mate. 
i loved the r5 when I tried it, and that lens was stellar. 
i mentioned photojournalist because to me, Leica has a heritage in photojournalism, and I know many journalist who still use Leica ! 

I would advise members that fighting and above all personal attacks are not allowed on this forum. I had to delete 21 (!) posts from this thread, unfortunately including some innocent bystanders. Even then, consistency may be slightly impacted.
Feel free to express your opinions but do so in a respectful manner to fellow members.

Posted (edited)
vor 7 Stunden schrieb jaapv:

I would advise members that fighting and above all personal attacks are not allowed on this forum. I had to delete 21 (!) posts from this thread, unfortunately including some innocent bystanders. Even then, consistency may be slightly impacted.
Feel free to express your opinions but do so in a respectful manner to fellow members.

I of course respect and accept this decision, and I think it is a real pitty that it was necessary. I've not seen the posts where things got out of hand, but I can imagine it. 

However, as many here I am a very busy person, but still have taken the time to post my experiences with the new software,  including a few tips on how to improve the overal experience using the new functionalities.

This post is gone, as is one additional and also explanatory post, which I've posted afterwards. What still remains is a quote from my second post, which has been ripped out of context and has, standing alone, nothing to do with the new FW, but is giving a queer impression. AND, I really don't want to be called bystander, the implication is quite negative. In dubio pro reo, I take this as a language thing. 

I am not happy with this, at all, and might in the future think twice before investing time to share my experience here or giving tips.

With this, I also want to give my thanks to everyone not knowing how to communicate in a proper and civilized manner and so seemingly force the moderaters here to delete posts - obviously also some helpful ones. Thanks for putting some here and the moderators in this unfortunate position. 

Regards

Daniel

Edited by Daniel C.1975
10 hours ago, jaapv said:

I also think it's important we can talk sensibly.  But I will say like Daniel I am also a busy person with many photo assignment every day.  I think this Forum is good and it is great that we can openly tell about our experiences.  I think I can contribute as a working pro photojournalist.  But if posts get deleted if one does not like the content, then I will think about how I spend my time.  My post has been removed and I do not think it is wrong in any way.  Like all brands, Leica has advantages and disadvantages.  It's important we can talk about them.
Regards Kim

I must say, I understand why you removed my last post, which was a harsh answer to the provocation and unethical statement of the original poster. I could have messaged him privately, or even just ignore him, therefore I share a part of responsibility, I suppose. But deleting 21 subjective posts from everyone commenting on the bad (or not so bad) AF performance of the SL2/S seems like an excess of authority. 

In my opinion, only two posts needed to be deleted. The post from the OP addressed to me, and my answer to him. The rest didn't need to go. 

4 hours ago, Daniel C.1975 said:

However, as many here I am a very busy person, but still have taken the time to post my experiences with the new software,  including a few tips on how to improve the overal experience using the new functionalities.

It would be great if you could repost these observations, perhaps without any references to other posts?  I'm coming to this late an only interested in the FW tips.  Thank you.

27 minutes ago, hydet said:

It would be great if you could repost these observations, perhaps without any references to other posts?  I'm coming to this late an only interested in the FW tips.  Thank you.

Highlight-weighted metering - works very well, i have left it on almost permanently

Image Overlay - works nicely

Enhanced Live View - is very nice but no peaking

i dont use AF lenses, so others can talk about those features, i did try the AFC_ face tracking with a friends 75 summicron SL, indoors in available light, it worked very well

Posted (edited)

I dislike highlight weighted metering, which just shows how different we all are. If I use exposure preview for the EVF then the EVF goes dim the moment a bright spot enters the frame e.g. a window if I am shooting indoors, a lamp or a streetlight. I will leave it switched off. As I use the histogram and exposure compensation in tandem, I don't think I need it. 

Edited by LocalHero1953
4 hours ago, Steven said:

I must say, I understand why you removed my last post, which was a harsh answer to the provocation and unethical statement of the original poster. I could have messaged him privately, or even just ignore him, therefore I share a part of responsibility, I suppose. But deleting 21 subjective posts from everyone commenting on the bad (or not so bad) AF performance of the SL2/S seems like an excess of authority. 

In my opinion, only two posts needed to be deleted. The post from the OP addressed to me, and my answer to him. The rest didn't need to go. 

Fully agree with this statement. My post got deleted, because I pointed out the technical limitations of a contrast detect AF system vs. a phase detect system, which proofs to be better suited for CAF in VIDEO. I am sure it was with good intentions, but a forum should also be an open place for different opinions. 

Besides the fact that there is still room for improvement in the AF department in CAF in video, we have to give kudos for Leica for this brilliant firmware 2.0. It is just amazing what the SL2-S offers in the video department (like 48 fps - Amazing!!!) and I think we will even see more down the line, such as external ProRes Raw recording. I would never trade my SL2-S against any Sony FX3/A7sIII or Canon R5, simply because of the nice image it produces and the superiority in handling and usability. 

I think at this stage the room to further improve AF is very small. The Maestro III is probably at its limits, and sensor readout has a big impact too. 

We have to wait for a SL3 to see further jumps in performances