SL2-S Firmware Coming soon 👏

Ashkanani1985

Thanks for the heads up re the firmware update. Much improved and consistent auto focus!!!!!.....PLEASE. I don't expect it to be as good as the Sony products, but even some real improvement with body and face tracking could make a huge difference. In my own comparison tests with the FX6 and FX3,  (in my opinion) the SL2S is equal or better in IBIS stabilization, low light IQ, and over all color and image quality. Its really just the auto focus that is lacking and inconsistent from lens to lens.

Also looking forward to some additional codecs. Iv been using HLOG at 400 Mbps. It looks fantastic right of the camera.  but of course the files are huge)

I find the mp4 codecs bit too contrasty even with internal adjustments. I'd be interested to hear what other video shooters are using

• Like 1

1 minute ago, markieh said:

I'd be interested to hear what other video shooters are using

I only use L-log because it doesn't bake in a fixed contrast curve and thus is much more flexible. But on the bright end of things, both preserve the highlight equally well. L-log seems to be a 10 Bit log encoded Rec 2020 file that works well in tandem with the original corresponding Leica LUT in the Rec 2020 colour space (I use Natural) or in ACES with the IDT set to Rec 2020. Both workflows allow for matching results. 

I absolutely agree with your opinion regarding sensor sensitivity and colour. In my opinion, in that regard, the SL2-S is best in class. However, AF has much room for improvement for video. But I never needed AF when filming. But I can see the option to have vide AF is nice to have.

Thanks for the Log info. I can see the LUT working on the cameras LCD screen, but not HDMI out to the 5 inch  monitor I'm using. I recall that being "a thing". The the HDMI doesn't  output that kind of info, ( including the focus tracking marker) . I believe I can import LUTs into this monitor and will try that.

9 hours ago, markieh said:

Thanks for the Log info. I can see the LUT working on the cameras LCD screen, but not HDMI out to the 5 inch  monitor I'm using. I recall that being "a thing". The the HDMI doesn't  output that kind of info, ( including the focus tracking marker) . I believe I can import LUTs into this monitor and will try that.

I dont think you can monitors LUT on the SL2(s) just yet, unless you already are testing the next firmware... But you can install luts on compatible monitors like Atomos, Small HD, Swit...etc

15 hours ago, markieh said:

many monitors and recorder take LUT's , the monitor lots are easy to make in Davinci resolve. the two LUT's from Leica are more like a creative lut.

20 hours ago, markieh said:

That's right. The LUT isn't applied to HDMI, because otherwise you would be recording with the LUT, defeating the purpose of using LOG. Most monitors can apply a viewing LUT in standard format, you just need to copy the LUT file to the recorder and select it in the menu.

You will need to apply the LUT again in your editor of choice. Alternatively, you can also apply an ACES IDT, as hansvons pointed-out.