M10 Optical Viewfinder problem (doesn't work)

professorlightlight

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am using a Voigtlander Nokton 50mm f1.2 with an M10 monochrom. The combination has worked fine until this weekend when I resorted to using Live View. Normally I use the view finder and am comfortable with focusing through the optical alignment of split images. For reasons that I cannot understand the optical view finder no longer works. Despite adjustment of the lens focus it is impossible to align split images in the optical sight. However focusing through Live View is possible and works without problem.

There are no optical focusing problems when the lens is transferred to a film MP camera but it will no longer work on my M10. I have reset the camera and rebooted through removal of the battery but no joy. Can anyone advise? Thanks in anticipation.

The OVF of the M10 and all M cameras is a strictly mechanical device, so resetting the camera will have no effect on it.

I would suggest putting another lens on the camera and see if the focusing patch works with it. You could also remove the lens and you will see an arm with a roller on it at the 12 o'clock position. Carefully move it in and out to see if it is not binding. Look through the viewfinder while moving this arm and you should see the focusing patch move and align. Do the two patches align with each other vertically? That could be another problem if they do not. Then you would need to have the vertical alignment adjusted. Some people have done this themselves, but that is beyond most people's capabilities.

If the above works you are good to go. If not, you need to have the camera serviced. As you note, you can still use it in Live View in a pinch.

Do you see the split image at all, or is it just gone? If it is gone, check that there is not something covering the rangefinder window. That is the small window under the shutter speed dial. If that is covered or dirty, you will not be able to focus. Also make sure your finger is not covering it...

If it is just off, then it could be that the rangefinder was knocked out of alignment. If you can still see the two images, but they do not line up, then that is more likely what has happened. This can be caused by the camera being hit hard or otherwise impacted, or you could have potentially hit the roller cam in the lens body and caused it to go out. If that is the case, then you will need to get the camera serviced.

5 hours ago, professorlightlight said:

I don't recall knocking the camera and it certainly wasn't dropped. Either way I am massively relieved that it has been resolved and at least will know what to do next time! Thanks again.

It happens sometimes while mounting a lens if the red dots aren’t lined up. The lens mount can jam the lever. The good news is now you know how to fix it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...