X1 internal battery replacement

dkCambridgeshire

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I wish someone would post a You Tube video showing how to replace the X1's internal battery ... thus avoiding the need to reset the time and date each time the regular rechargeable battery is changed. The anomaly only applies to X1 cameras with 'shot' internal batteries ... if the internal battery is still OK the problem does not arise. I do not want to pay out for an unnecessary full camera service which could cost more than the camera's s/h value. 

Edited by dkCambridgeshire
typo

Update to the post above, I received an email from Leica New Jersey this morning and they are shipping it back to Germany to carry out the repair and will let me know when they receive it back. So we'll see when it gets back what the actual cost is. Watch this space for updates!!

Dave

Edited by DaveMo
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Further update to the story, Leica have come back with a cost of $235.00US to change the battery along with a CLA on the X1. The work will be carried out in Germany so I'm thinking the camera should be like new when it comes back. I have given them the go-ahead to proceed with the work. I'll let you know when it returns to me.

Thanks,

Dave

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I wonder if the internal battery can be replaced without having to send it to Leica. 

I have tried searching online yet I have not found anyone who has done it so far. 

I tried disassembling the camera, but I could not figure out how to separate the upper metal housing which I believe is holding the plastic main housing from splitting. 

The bottom metal deco-housing is only held by four tiny screws. inside, there are 4 additional screws and two inside the HDMI/USB connector door.