LEICA VARIO-ELMARIT-SL 24–70mm f/2.8 ASPH

theseus79

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It look pretty obvious to me that this will be a rebaged Sigma 24-70. The form looks very similar and the focus direction is the same. I hope Leica offers a few things: 

- Better resistance against dust: this is a common problem with the current Sigma version

- Changed focus direction, though it is already shown in the picture this won’t be the case

- All metal build quality

- Better adjusted focus capabilities: The current sigma is obviously worse when it comes to CAF as compared to the native leica lenses

- Price ca. 2.000-2.500 Euro. If Sigma offers the lens for 1.200 Euro for the same optical design, leica needs to manage its pricing carefully. 

In general I think this is very, very good news for Leica SL shooters. The 24-70 draws wonderfully (I have tested the lens for a few days). 

Edited by simon_hsn

2 hours ago, Simone_DF said:

it was reported previously that the upcoming Leica 24-70 was actually made by Sigma, and it looks awfully similar, although the leaked photo is way too small to make a proper comparison.

Where was this reported? I've read a lot of speculation, so it would be good to read from an informed source.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, simon_hsn said:

It look pretty obvious to me that this will be a rebaged Sigma 24-70. The form looks very similar and the focus direction is the same. I hope Leica offers a few things: 

- Better resistance against dust: this is a common problem with the current Sigma version

- Changed focus direction, though it is already shown in the picture this won’t be the case

- All metal build quality

- Better adjusted focus capabilities: The current sigma is obviously worse when it comes to CAF as compared to the native leica lenses

- Price ca. 2.000-2.500 Euro. If Sigma offers the lens for 1.200 Euro for the same optical design, leica needs to manage its pricing carefully. 

Why spend twice the amount of money for a metal barrel and dust resistance? 

Should I get some dust or damage the lens, I can just buy a second copy and still pay less than the (alleged) rebadged Leica.

The Sigma is available for about 1000€ with used copies going for 800-850

vor 18 Stunden schrieb Photoworks:

lets hope it is not the photoshopped version LOL.

so launch 05/06.. that means in December most of us can buy it..

I guess the delivery will be faster in this case

Advertisement (gone after registration)

19 hours ago, Simone_DF said:

Why spend twice the amount of money for a metal barrel and dust resistance? 

Should I get some dust or damage the lens, I can just buy a second copy and still pay less than the (alleged) rebadged Leica.

The Sigma is available for about 1000€ with used copies going for 800-850

what I heard from a reliable source that this lens has a different coating than sigma version, the lens coating is made by leica so the overall performance of the lens will be better than Sigma  

• Like 1

vor einer Stunde schrieb Ashkanani1985:

what I heard from a reliable source that this lens has a different coating than sigma version, the lens coating is made by leica so the overall performance of the lens will be better than Sigma  

overall performing better only with coating? Lens flares ok. - better contrast ok. - but that helps not for better corner sharpness (see camerlabs) or genral imporvement of sharpness or other lens errors. That would be nice and an easy and cheap(er) way to make great lenses. And Sigma made zooms for Leica in R-Times and coated them. So I have stomach grief that this is the break through.

Other wrote that they change glas formulars - that would be funny if this works. But hope dies at last.

• Like 1

The secret sauce of Leica’s coatings determines how a lens renders colour and how it performs regarding speed and flares. 

Creating a product line beneath regular “top tier” Leica lenses could be an exciting endeavour for Leica. It would be interesting to see that expanded to primes and other zooms. Sigma’s Contemporary primes could be an appropriate starting point. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TeleElmar135mm said:

overall performing better only with coating? Lens flares ok. - better contrast ok. - but that helps not for better corner sharpness (see camerlabs) or genral imporvement of sharpness or other lens errors. That would be nice and an easy and cheap(er) way to make great lenses. And Sigma made zooms for Leica in R-Times and coated them. So I have stomach grief that this is the break through.

Other wrote that they change glas formulars - that would be funny if this works. But hope dies at last.

I think we are demanding too much here, so Leica make the cheapest and lightest lens for SL line, and you as buyer has an option you can buy Pana, sigma or Leica  as its fit your budget, in the end its 3K lens and will perform like a 3K lens nothing more and nothing less 

• Like 1

Such a disappointment, to see Leica going back to its bad habits of rebranding other companies lenses. (Leica R era)
This one is even worst, because normally you only rebrand a lens not already available in your lens mount ! 
Such as Pentax rehoused several Tamron or Tokina lenses not available in K-mount. 
Or Olympus who now sold its own version of Sigma 100-400mm DG DN. Which is not available in m4/3 mount. 

Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 DG DN is already available in L-mount ! Why bother ? 
Such behaviour will continue to fuel the belied that Leica is only a rebadge Panasonic !

Remember the Sofort a mere redesign of Fujifilm mini 90… for twice as much. With the same plastic toy lens. 

Please stop that Leica… it hurts you more than it help your bottom line. 

Edited by nicci78
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Simone_DF said:

No, it will perform like a 1000€ lens, the original Sigma. A lens coating won't do much.

Did you try it and saw it perform like a 1000 euro lens?  One can say that canon and nikon 24-70 2.8 as well perform like a sigma 1000 euro lens?! You will have a lens that will be equally to what other Japan companies are selling like sony and canon … etc and on same price range …. You want something better than buy the Germany made Leica lenses and you get what you pay for 👌

Edited by Ashkanani1985

Let‘s wait and see. Do I think it’s sexy to buy a more expensive just rebadged Sigma lens. No, for sure not. 
Not that Sigma is a bad thing, I have two Sigmas and like them.

For this lens I will make my opinion once the lens is really available and comparable. Not before.

There are so many variables in lens construction, and the mere optical design is just one of them.

BTW: Even a rebadged 2.0 28-70 Canon RF could be tempting 😁 ;) 

Edited by Daniel C.1975
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just as a reminder. 
Did D-Lux 7, V-Lux 5 or C-Lux perform better than Panasonic LX100 II, FZ1000 II or TZ200 ? 
Nope : same IQ, same build quality, same RAW files, same colour, same UI, same user manual, etc… just a slightly more attractive design.  

Did the Sofort performs better than  Fujifilm instax mini 90 ? 
Nope exactly the same crappy plastic lens and same everything. Except different design. 

But they all cost way more than their original counterparts  

So lower your expectations. It will be exactly the same as Sigma 24-70mm DG DN for double or triple the price. 

1 hour ago, nicci78 said:

Just as a reminder. 
Did D-Lux 7, V-Lux 5 or C-Lux perform better than Panasonic LX100 II, FZ1000 II or TZ200 ? 
Nope : same IQ, same build quality, same RAW files, same colour, same UI, same user manual, etc… just a slightly more attractive design.  

Did the Sofort performs better than  Fujifilm instax mini 90 ? 
Nope exactly the same crappy plastic lens and same everything. Except different design. 

But they all cost way more than their original counterparts  

So lower your expectations. It will be exactly the same as Sigma 24-70mm DG DN for double or triple the price. 

Leica never sold a triple price product just because its rebadged product, yes the product you mention is a rebadged product but again its only 200 to 400 us more expansive not triple the price, so if leica is offering a lens that is triple price of sigma than its not just a rebadged product….. i think your example of rebadged product is not the same case here 👍

Edited by Ashkanani1985

44 minutes ago, Ashkanani1985 said:

Leica never sold a triple price product just because its rebadged product, yes the product you mention is a rebadged product but again its only 200 to 400 us more expansive not triple the price, so if leica is offering a lens that is triple price of sigma than its not just a rebadged product….. i think your example of rebadged product is not the same case here 👍

The D-Lux are triple the warranty, not triple the price. I can see why people are confused.

Their purpose is to give Leica Boutiques something else to sell, in between product launches. They are simple cameras that can be offered to spouses, parents, kids, etc.

A 24-70 Elmarit-SL would be none of these things.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Ashkanani1985 said:

Err...

The Leica Sofort was 300€ vs the Instax Mini 90 that was 110€, that's 3x the price.

Even the film was 100% the same, Leica only replaced the cardboard box and sold it for more. 🤮

Anyway, only a few days to wait, I really hope it's not just a rebadged Sigma or I'll just get the original.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, BernardC said:

The D-Lux are triple the warranty, not triple the price. I can see why people are confused.

Sorry but D-Lux 7 has only 2 years of warranty. Just like LX100 II in Europe. 

At launch the price difference will start with 60% or 80% more
then as time goes, the Panasonic will drop in price, however Leica’s price will stay steady. Resulting in twice to three times the price difference. 
Just look at LX100 price history vers D-Lux typ 109. 

The rumors are talking about a 3000€ price. Almost 3x the Sigma one. 
It will be available as a kit. But don’t be fooled. Even at kit price it will be more expensive than Sigma’s one. 

I will never buy a rebranded by Leica product.
I cannot stand such behaviour. Therefore will never support it. 

You can vote with you wallet. If nobody bought such thing, they will disappear for good.