LEICA VARIO-ELMARIT-SL 24–70mm f/2.8 ASPH

theseus79

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Does anyone know -with hard evidence- who makes "Leica" lenses in Japan ? I mean the modern, current ones... I already know about the (more or less verified sources for) the Leica R lenses...

Is it Sigma, or a proper "Leica" branded factory like they have in Portugal?

vor 2 Minuten schrieb Slender:

they don't have such a proper Leica-branded factory in Japan, only Portugal;

as far as I know there are different rumors who builds Leica's Japan lenses including Cosina and Sigma - but we don't know

vor einer Stunde schrieb Ashkanani1985:

This Lens will be made in Japan, not Germany, it will priced around 2500 US Dollar and on first release will be kit lens with SL2-S and maybe later will be sold alone, wight will be around 850g so its not a rebranded Panasonic lens! And way smaller than Panasonic 24-70

i Like the idea of Leica releasing affordable lenses for users who can not afford Lenses made in Germany, and hope on the future more lenses like this will be released 👌

good news!

You mean this new lens will be smaller than the others 24-70/2.8 like the Panasonic and Sigma for L-Mount or for example Nikon's Z 24-70/2.8? They all share 82mm filter size!

1 hour ago, Slender said:

Unless its a 28-70... It has been said many times by Leica reps that it is the extention from 28 down to 24mm that makes the 24-90 a bit "larger". Cf the latest Sigma or Leica R (made in Germany) 28-90 f2.8-4.5 (e67)

Totally agree, and I'm interested in getting one no matter if 24 or 28, but Nokishita confirmed it's a 24-70, not 28. I guess we'll discover it soon-ish.

2 hours ago, MediaFotografie said:

good news!

You mean this new lens will be smaller than the others 24-70/2.8 like the Panasonic and Sigma for L-Mount or for example Nikon's Z 24-70/2.8? They all share 82mm filter size!

100% sure the lens is much smaller than 24-70 panasonic but not Sigma because Sigma 24-70 is already small for 24-70 2.8, and almost half size (almost) of Leica 24-90, regarding wight 100% sure its around 850... 😉 and price will not be more than 3000 US some where around 2.5K 👍

• Like 3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

16 minutes ago, Simone_DF said:

Totally agree, and I'm interested in getting one no matter if 24 or 28, but Nokishita confirmed it's a 24-70, not 28. I guess we'll discover it soon-ish.

Its 24 not 28 and this lens will start shipping as kit lens with SL2-S for a while but I agree that it will be with all Leica SL users, I like the idea of carrying 800g all rounder lens and will preforms as good as its get with 2.5K US lens price and very nice travel lens.... I wish in the future to see more lenses like this released from Leica for SL line specially Zoom lenses.....  

• Like 1

On 4/20/2021 at 6:28 AM, Slender said:

Does anyone know -with hard evidence- who makes "Leica" lenses in Japan ? I mean the modern, current ones... I already know about the (more or less verified sources for) the Leica R lenses...

I would be interested in finding-out, if only because I am a fan of photographic trivia, but the answer would probably be unsatisfying. Hasselblad XCD lenses are made by a small company that no-one had heard of before, other than industry insiders.

Japan has a huge network of high-end optical companies, many of which have never sold lenses under their own names.

Does anyone know who makes Angenieux's "cheap" cine zooms?

3 hours ago, BernardC said:

Does anyone know who makes Angenieux's "cheap" cine zooms?

Haha! They are surely not made by Angenieux. Word of mouth is they are made (not calculated and designed) in China by Jebsen CineCast or a sub contractor. I own a short Optimo and had both, the Optimo and the EZ zoom in question on a projector. Two worlds. And haptically on different planets. But they are light weight and affordable zooms that offer FF which is today a must-have for many (I don't think so).

18 hours ago, hansvons said:

Haha! They are surely not made by Angenieux. Word of mouth is they are made (not calculated and designed) in China by Jebsen CineCast or a sub contractor. I own a short Optimo and had both, the Optimo and the EZ zoom in question on a projector. Two worlds. And haptically on different planets. But they are light weight and affordable zooms that offer FF which is today a must-have for many (I don't think so).

I thought that the EZ lenses were made in Japan?

Just now, BernardC said:

I read that in the Newsshooter.com review, so I assumed it was right, given that they had access to the lenses.

I believe he's a reliable source. But we don't know for certain. Which brings me to this: the result is what counts and not the country of origin. In this particular case, the price-value ratio is good. And they are in many ways typical Angenieux, although not Optimos. But that was never the idea. Don't know what that means for Leica though.;)

1 hour ago, hansvons said:

But that was never the idea. Don't know what that means for Leica though.;)

Nothing much. The original question was about who manufactures the Summicron-C cine lenses in Japan. I was just curious about the similar line from Angenieux. As you said, as long as the performance is there, it really doesn't matter.

More info here: https://leicarumors.com/2021/04/22/additional-information-rumors-on-the-upcoming-leica-vario-elmarit-sl-24-70mm-f-2-8-asph-lens-l-mount.aspx/

• The Leica VARIO-ELMARIT-SL 24-70mm f/2.8 ASPH lens will be a part of a new “economy line” from Leica (not sure for the exact name of the new product line)
  • The official announcement should be in May
  • The lens will be priced just slightly higher than the Panasonic Lumix S PRO 24-70mm f/2.8 lens for L-mount (still under €3,000/$3,000?)
  • The lens will not have an all-metal body like other Leica SL lenses
  • The design and construction will be very similar to the current Panasonic Lumix S PRO 24-70mm f/2.8 lens for L-mount:
  • Like 1

vor 4 Stunden schrieb beewee:

More info here: https://leicarumors.com/2021/04/22/additional-information-rumors-on-the-upcoming-leica-vario-elmarit-sl-24-70mm-f-2-8-asph-lens-l-mount.aspx/

• The Leica VARIO-ELMARIT-SL 24-70mm f/2.8 ASPH lens will be a part of a new “economy line” from Leica (not sure for the exact name of the new product line)
  • The lens will be priced just slightly higher than the Panasonic Lumix S PRO 24-70mm f/2.8 lens for L-mount (still under €3,000/$3,000?)
  • The design and construction will be very similar to the current Panasonic Lumix S PRO 24-70mm f/2.8 lens for L-mount:

If this is true, and I have no reason to doubt it, we unfortunately cannot expect a more compact lens. Which was a hope I had / still have

But let's wait and see. 

Edited by Daniel C.1975

7 hours ago, beewee said:

Many miss leading info, first the coming Leica lens is completely different than Panasonic 24-70 2.8 to the point that the minimum focus distance in new Leica lens is way less than Panasonic 24-70 2.8 so completely different optical design 👍 again if you read the same article (from Leica rumors) down he mentioned “not the first time Leica rebranded Sigma lenses” and up he is saying similar to Panasonic 24-70 2.8! So is it Panasonic 24-70 or Sigma 24-70 Leica is rebranding?! As both theses lenses is completely different?! 

Edited by Ashkanani1985