LEICA VARIO-ELMARIT-SL 24–70mm f/2.8 ASPH

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 5/16/2021 at 4:59 PM, Simone_DF said:

Wow, an official Leica dealer says that the Leica lens is better than the same lens with different barrel at half the price.

Who would have thought? 

In long term use that metal barrel and more solid construction may prove valuable in the field, there are also several reports out there saying that the focusing is much faster on the Leica version of the lens.For a product you might be using for quite a few years these things have some value.Also they were pretty fair and honest in their comments, leica dealers or not.

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sigma is second largest sellers of optics. After Canon and before Nikon.  Sigma is also producing everything in house : toolings, glasses, magnesium, DC motors.  So they cut down every middle men possible and have a huge economy of scale by supporting most lens mounts.  And everything is made in Japan at 90%.  They are also producing ODM lenses for everybody. Some are clones for a specific brand : Leica with the 24-70mm and Olympus with the 100-400mm.  Some are exclusive design : Lu

Agree! I'm done with spending the fortunes that I've spent on Leica lenses in the past. Lens design & technology has evolved dramatically over the past few years, manufacturers like Sigma & Voigtlander are producing outstanding lenses.   Over the past 18 months I've amassed a small arsenal of Sigma L mount lenses which I use on the SL2, so far not one has disappointed me. IQ & build quality are excellent. I'm also always banging on about the fact that many of these lenses have a

The collective effort to imagine/will a difference into existence here is commendable.:) A much easier route would be to wait for test comparisons.

Posted Images

1 hour ago, 2M6TTLs said:

In long term use that metal barrel and more solid construction may prove valuable in the field, there are also several reports out there saying that the focusing is much faster on the Leica version of the lens.For a product you might be using for quite a few years these things have some value.Also they were pretty fair and honest in their comments, leica dealers or not.

In long term if needed I can buy a second copy of the Sigma and still save a bunch of €€€

Sorry but I don't think a dealer should do reviews, they are clearly biased and with a vested interest in selling you that lens. 

Also if AF is less performing on the Sigma, given that it's 100% the same lens, then the L Mount is a broken promise. If you buy a third party lens for Sony, Canon or Nikon, they perform the same. I don't know if it's Leica or Sigma's fault (or both), but clearly there's something wrong 

1 hour ago, Simone_DF said:

If you buy a third party lens for Sony, Canon or Nikon, they perform the same.

I suppose you should buy the less expensive one if they are all the same. seams that price is all that makes the difference.

it is possible that the material used are different, different motors . that can influence the performance. Anyway the Sigma L lenses have all slower AF in my arsenal. I find leica lenses much faster to reach AF on the same camera

vor einer Stunde schrieb Simone_DF:

In long term if needed I can buy a second copy of the Sigma and still save a bunch of €€€

Sorry but I don't think a dealer should do reviews, they are clearly biased and with a vested interest in selling you that lens. 

Also if AF is less performing on the Sigma, given that it's 100% the same lens, then the L Mount is a broken promise. If you buy a third party lens for Sony, Canon or Nikon, they perform the same. I don't know if it's Leica or Sigma's fault (or both), but clearly there's something wrong 

I decided me for the Sigma (bought used 2 weeks old at a good price - in germany there was a ocassion for panasonic cameras with a special price for the lens - so you could buy the lens very cheap 2nd hand). I have no problems with it and the AF and sharpness is is not bad :) - better say great . I have no experiences with Leica AF-lenes, because I use the SL wit my M & R-lenses.  At 24mm full open it is tack sharp from center to extreme corner. Till now I did'nt find a bad focal length.

The side by side test from PetaPixel is interesting in this discussion here  https://petapixel.com/2021/06/11/leica-24-70mm-f-2-8-versus-sigma-24-70mm-f-2-8-is-there-a-difference/

Perhaps Sigma makes a firmware update. Actual there is 1.2 from 09/2020. Let's see. For the 1/3 of the price from the Leica I'm happy and satisfied with the lens.