DxO PureRAW

Advertisement (gone after registration)

2 hours ago, jaapv said:

Looks OK, but hard to tell with the motion blur.

look at the door behind the woman. It's very smoothed out though... It's kept passable detail in the hair and face though

2 hours ago, jaapv said:

CL not supported - lost interest.

My feelings (OMMV) are, might be worth it to save a very noisy shot, but I wouldn't want to run everything though it

I also tried to push an M240 iso3200 shot 2 stops and the colour completely fell apart

I want to recommend using DxO PhotoLab 4 instead of PureRAW. PhotoLab 4 integrates very well with Adobe software and has more possible adjustments. I typically use only its lens correction and DeepPrime noise reduction. The output is a linear DNG which has a considerable advantage over TIFF output. So far, I have used it mostly on m43 sensors, where noise can be more of an issue than on FF sensors.
The disadvantage of DxO is that they do not support all cameras. They are scheduled to support Leica CL and TL2 in a June update. Unfortunately, there is no plan to support SL2 and M10-R cameras. I suggest requesting additional camera supports here:  https://www.dxo.com/supported-cameras/suggest-module/

• 6 months later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Good news… DXO is adding M10R to the list of supported cameras in PureRaw. It’s the best noise reduction I’ve ever seen so I’m excited. It won’t make it into the next release unfortunately. It will be the version after that. So i imagine Q1 2022 but they didn’t give an exact date.  Anyone who cares about SL2 or SL2S support should definitely join the DXO forums and push for it. 

Edited by Crem
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Good news: the SL2, SL2-s and M10R support is coming in March 2022

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I like the idea of this software, but it seems to be so closely linked to camera+lens, and they don't have wide support for Leica cameras / lenses, so I haven't bothered trying it, particularly when the likes of Topaz use camera/lens agnostic optimisations and Lightroom has profiles for quite a few Leica lenses that benefit from it.

1 hour ago, jrp said:

I like the idea of this software, but it seems to be so closely linked to camera+lens, and they don't have wide support for Leica cameras / lenses, so I haven't bothered trying it, particularly when the likes of Topaz use camera/lens agnostic optimisations and Lightroom has profiles for quite a few Leica lenses that benefit from it.

I use PureRAW a lot with Sony files. I’m shocked at how much noise it can remove from even a 24MP Sony A73 file at ISO 800. So I’m really happy they are adding the leica sensors.

It’s ok if it doesn’t support your lenses. I turn all the lens corrections off in PureRAW because I like vignetting and Leica lenses generally have very pleasing distortion. You don’t need lens support to get noise reduction with PureRAW

5 hours ago, jrp said:

I think one should own both Topaz and DxO. If the camera is supported, DxO gives me better results in most cases. However, DxO must be used as the first step. Sometimes, noise reduction is better done after the heavy lifting of shadows. In that case, Topaz works better.

• 5 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

DXO Pure Raw 3 has just been released. This is an example of a Q2 photo at iso3200 having been run through Pure Raw 3 first and then edited. Colour me very impressed. The only downside I can see is that the processed DNG file is enormous at some 140mb compared to 85mb for the standard DNG from camera. The JPEG at 1500 long side is 4mb so not too bad. Click to zoom in.

The upgrade from V2 to v3 is £69 so not too punitive and certainly cheaper than a Q3 with an improved sensor!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Marc B-C
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Dennis said:

IMHO, doesn't work with the upgrade

PR3 is only going to be worthwhile if:

1. you need/want ongoing body and lens correction for new releases; or
  2. you want to use DeepPrime XD - from what ive seen it's not 'better' than DeepPrime as it adds more detail. this is prob a plus for shooters doing landscape / nature / architecture etc but not ideal for portraits (not unless you want to get clubbed by your subject)  
  • Like 1