M6 light leak or shutter curtain?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

After reading as much as I can on the usual forums I still am struggling to identify the problem I have with my M6 and would love anyone's feedback or opinions. I am pretty sure it need a full service but thought it was worth asking. If this has been covered in previous threads then a point in the right direction would be appricated. 

My M6 is displaying either a light leak or shutter problems. At first thought it was the shutter at higher speeds but now think its s light leak. I can see a light leak using all the standard methods. Every do often I get a double frame that looks underexposed/fogged. The frame is misaligned and overlaps into the margin o gfx the film i. e. Not within the normal frame. So would this be a light leak? I am home developing. This has hapened on a coupe of films put through my m6 and not on other films put through other cameras and home dev'd. 

Thanks Jamie

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

What about a light leak? I would give it another test.

Expose the camera to strong light, keep it in a dark bag, wind the shutter before shooting, wind after shooting and that with a dark scene.

3 hours ago, 250swb said:

The areas jankap has thoughtfully pointed at with the arrows are curious and do look more like a light leak. I don't think there's any reason a slow shutter would cause the offset shadow areas top and bottom.

That’s right, I just noticed the dark band at one side of the image. The M6 did have problems with curtain seals causing leaks, until they changed the material of the seals. My M6 (1985) got updated seals replaced as part of a CLA.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

You could check for leaks by loading a fresh film and pointing a light source at various parts of the camera for different frames (no lens, keep the body cap on, and also try shining the light into the lens throat.

However, it is either a leak or shutter issue so maybe just take it to a repairer with those negs and let them sort it out.

It could even be a leak and a shutter fault!

Edited by earleygallery
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I read that light can leek into the camera from the black triangular plastic grommets located behind the camera strap attachment loops and that, they can be bought new for a reasonable price from Leica. 

I have a M6 and light affects the first two to three negatives. I wonder can you tell me if a full service would solve the problem. Is there a seal or some thing that a service could detect as faulty and replace?