Leica M11 - your next camera? {MERGED}

Al Brown

Advertisement (gone after registration)

64mp internal storage? I did not watch the whole video but it is hard to believe that the reviewer mistakes MPs for GBs. Otherwise i don't quite see the point of cramming a big sensor in a compact camera. For an M11R perhaps but for the M11 i would not hold my breath. I'm no beta tester though so don't take my imput as an info or a rumor. As for downsizing the sensor it can only crop it i guess so i wonder how the frame lines could manage such a crop mode if they stay mechanical. FWIW. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, lct said:

64mp internal storage? I did not watch the whole video but it is hard to believe that the reviewer mistakes MPs for GBs. Otherwise i don't quite see the point of cramming a big sensor in a compact camera. For an M11R perhaps but for the M11 i would not hold my breath. I'm no beta tester though so don't take my imput as an info or a rumor. As for downsizing the sensor it can only crop it i guess so i wonder how the frame lines could manage such a crop mode if they stay mechanical. FWIW. 

I wondered about the same when watching the video. It's an interesting idea though with internal memory compensating for a second SD card. I might be wrong, but I still think the M11 will have a dual SD card slot on the bottom of the camera. In case the camera fails, the larger internal storage won't help either. The option to use a second SD card similar to mirror-imaging your hard drives at home is the much better idea. Me personally would be fine just with one SD card. In > 15 years shooting digital, I have never even once had a card fail on me (even I admit it can happen like many others report). 

1 hour ago, lct said:

He said 64Gb in the video I think it was a typo by whoever mentioned it - I just bit the bullet and listened again to check

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Martin B said:

I wondered about the same when watching the video. It's an interesting idea though with internal memory compensating for a second SD card. I might be wrong, but I still think the M11 will have a dual SD card slot on the bottom of the camera. In case the camera fails, the larger internal storage won't help either. The option to use a second SD card similar to mirror-imaging your hard drives at home is the much better idea. Me personally would be fine just with one SD card. In > 15 years shooting digital, I have never even once had a card fail on me (even I admit it can happen like many others report). 

Like you Martin, in more than 15 years shooting digital I've never had a card fail on me after appearing to take images (I've had ones that refused to work any more, but that's different). On the other hand I don't see why the large internal storage wouldn't work - if your SD card has failed, then you could use the images on the internal storage and vice versa (couldn't you?). I have to say that the only time I ever use both card slots in the SL2 is shooting a wedding or similar.

Best

Jono

• Like 4

5 hours ago, jonoslack said:

Gordon Bennett!

I lost the will to live - he could have said all of that in 1 minute! and anyway, as you say @beeweeall of that has been predicted here already (whether it's right or wrong, who can say!)

Yeah. A few of his early videos had some interesting content with some nice in-depth look at lenses but I found them excessively verbose. The more recent ones are becoming more clickbaity where it seems he’s just chasing views with not much substance at all. Combine that with the excessively long format, I have largely stopped watching his stuff even though he’s one of the more prolific youtubers that cover Leica gear.

• Like 2

I would guess that whatever's coming, if it is coming in November will be pretty set in stone by now..

Confirmation prototypes will be with the beta testers, manufacturing tooling will be largely set up and component spec and inaugural volumes agreed with suppliers

Probably just the firmware to work on now...

(Personally I got a M9P in 2017, an M240 in 2020 and an M10 in 2021 - so I look forward to my potential M11 ownership circa 2025 😅)

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

2 hours ago, jonoslack said:

Like you Martin, in more than 15 years shooting digital I've never had a card fail on me after appearing to take images (I've had ones that refused to work any more, but that's different). On the other hand I don't see why the large internal storage wouldn't work - if your SD card has failed, then you could use the images on the internal storage and vice versa (couldn't you?). I have to say that the only time I ever use both card slots in the SL2 is shooting a wedding or similar.

Best

Jono

How would you get the images from the internal storage unless they brought back the USB port?

1 hour ago, jdlaing said:

How would you get the images from the internal storage unless they brought back the USB port?

Personally, I would very much appreciate internal storage capabilities in the M11 and a tiny USB-C /USB 4 port for export and/or wireless export via Fotos app could also be made to offer the option to delete files upon wireless export. Couple of viable options I think that are no too far fetched. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, jonoslack said:

He said 64Gb in the video I think it was a typo by whoever mentioned it - I just bit the bullet and listened again to check

I guess even the mathphotographer can dream too--if not a typo. Anybody know who he is in real life? Clearly he knows his "math"  ha ha 

9 minutes ago, LBJ2 said:

Anybody know who he is in real life?

I would guess either someone that owns a camera store (posing as a Leica enthusiast) or a very well healed Leica enthusiast with a serious case of GAS. I can’t imagine an actual working photographer owning that much gear and staying profitable as a business.

Edited by beewee

7 minutes ago, LBJ2 said:

I guess even the mathphotographer can dream too--if not a typo. Anybody know who he is in real life? Clearly he knows his "math"  ha ha 

1 minute ago, beewee said:

I would guess either someone that owns a camera store (posing as a Leica enthusiast) or a very well healed Leica enthusiast with a serious case of GAS. I can’t imagine an actual working photographer owning that much gear and staying profitable as a business.

Certainly well healed - wears expensive watches as well - but I don't think he owns a camera store.  Do camera store owners make that much money?

He often talks about his close relationship with the Leica Store Zurich and he was able to purchase a Silver Noctilux f1.2.  That's a bit like walking into a Porsche dealership and driving out with a 911 GT3 Touring!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, T25UFO said:

Certainly well healed - wears expensive watches as well - but I don't think he owns a camera store.  Do camera store owners make that much money?

He often talks about his close relationship with the Leica Store Zurich and he was able to purchase a Silver Noctilux f1.2.  That's a bit like walking into a Porsche dealership and driving out with a 911 GT3 Touring!

The mystery man who really does know his math if you've seen some of his calculations and yes, he does seem to have the opportunity to review very, very interesting gear. As they say, maybe not what you know but who you know 😉

4 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

relates to the size of the wells for photon capture

The size of pixels does not have much influence on the dynamic range. It is the size of the sensor that dominates. That is why a FF sensor, same technology, has very similar PDR regardless if it is 24MP or 47MP.

4 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

Thank you for the link.

Smaller pixels are noisier than larger pixels. However, when you downsample low resolution output (large pixels) and high resolution output (smaller pixels) to the same sized output, you will notice little difference.

When you check PDR measurements at PhotonsToPhotos, Sean Reid's comparisons of M10P vs. M10R, or DPR Scene Test, you will see that smaller pixels do not impact noise in a significant way. You will also notice that the sensor size has a significant impact on PDR.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SrMi said:

However, when you downsample low resolution output (large pixels) and high resolution output (smaller pixels) to the same sized output, you will notice little difference.

I guess the question here is: if you are going to downsample to the "same sized output" - why did you pay the money for the extra (smaller) pixels in the first place?

I'm just going by the stated reason most people gave to explain their "need" more pixels and more resolution, and couldn't survive with just 24Mpixels - which was to make BIG output (BIG prints). Or to crop - which is not the same thing as downsampling.

If you downsample - that destroys the claimed advantage of 40 Mpixels.

If you don't downsample, you may (depending on what other technological improvements have been made) get a higher noise floor, and thus less DR.

;)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, jdlaing said:

Well, they might have an option to copy to the SD card (some other camera had that - Maybe a T?)  - or they might bring back the USB port - after all, everyone else has usb charging these days, which would definitely be an asset.

• Like 2