Leica M11 - your next camera? {MERGED}

Al Brown

Advertisement (gone after registration)

2 hours ago, Steven said:

Since you ask so politely ! 

M11 Update: 

- The possibility of a previous design changed mentioned earlier on the thread seems to be an aborted lead. The M11 should look exactly like the M10, and have precisely the same dimension. Relief. 

- No space for EVF and Ibis (confirmed)

- Around 60MP BSI sensor with three different shooting modes for smaller files (confirmed)

- New visoflex should be compatible with M10. It will have a slightly rounder design but not much smaller. Oled hi res EVF. 

- No bottom plate to focus on weather sealing of the electronics (confirmed)

- New battery (not the same a Q2 and SL2) for almost double the duration time. 

- Maestro 3, faster buffer 

- High possibility of an electronic shutter allowing us to shoot faster than 1/4000th

Really hyped for new visoflex, M10 is still a very good camera, but glasses users suffer to see even 35mm framelines ;(

The red dot should come in the box for those who (don't) want it.  For me, it just took a small piece of black plastic electrical tape, but I'd rather have nothing to begin with.

I agree with those who say it's difficult to see the full frame while wearing eyeglasses.  I struggle with this sometimes.  

The biggest "annoyance" I know of is the inability to use other options for the hot-shoe, when I've got the thumb rest attached, and I like the thumb rest so much it almost never comes off.

A fixed bottom plate sounds good, but will require sealing around the memory card.  If PhotoMechanic could ingest the images direct from the camera electronically, I'd probably have no need to access the memory card.  For me, it's remove bottom plate, remove memory card and insert in computer, ingest images using PhotoMechanic, then return memory card to the M10 and format the card for the next use.

I wish there was a "plan b" for when I remove the thumb rest to mount the Visoflex, to find an equally secure way to hold the camera.  For me, the thumb rest has gotten to be an essential accessory.

2 minutes ago, MikeMyers said:

The red dot should come in the box for those who (don't) want it.  For me, it just took a small piece of black plastic electrical tape, but I'd rather have nothing to begin with.

I agree with those who say it's difficult to see the full frame while wearing eyeglasses.  I struggle with this sometimes.  

The biggest "annoyance" I know of is the inability to use other options for the hot-shoe, when I've got the thumb rest attached, and I like the thumb rest so much it almost never comes off.

A fixed bottom plate sounds good, but will require sealing around the memory card.  If PhotoMechanic could ingest the images direct from the camera electronically, I'd probably have no need to access the memory card.  For me, it's remove bottom plate, remove memory card and insert in computer, ingest images using PhotoMechanic, then return memory card to the M10 and format the card for the next use.

I wish there was a "plan b" for when I remove the thumb rest to mount the Visoflex, to find an equally secure way to hold the camera.  For me, the thumb rest has gotten to be an essential accessory.

Get a Thumbie instead of the hot shoe thumb rest.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 7/29/2021 at 1:12 AM, MikeMyers said:

There are thumb rests with a hot shoe on top of them. Alas, as you say "other options", I presume you mainly mean the Visoflex... which, unfortunately, does not work with any thumb rest attached.

the M240 Thumbie from Steve Barnett works on the M10 camera, it cost 32 pounds. It is brass painted black.

I had my M10-P thumbie for 2 years and took it off when I sold the camera. taking off the glue too a little bit of work, but left no trace.

It was the best solution to have support and VF2.0

on the new camera I use the Kameracraft grip. it is more useful then the leica version

• Like 1

On 7/24/2021 at 6:55 PM, Steven said:

M11 Update: 

- The possibility of a previous design changed mentioned earlier on the thread seems to be an aborted lead. The M11 should look exactly like the M10, and have precisely the same dimension. Relief. 

- Around 60MP BSI sensor with three different shooting modes for smaller files (confirmed)

- New visoflex should be compatible with M10. It will have a slightly rounder design but not much smaller. Oled hi res EVF. 

- High possibility of an electronic shutter allowing us to shoot faster than 1/4000th

Thanks for the update! 

Look forward to higher capacity batteries and new faster processing.

On 7/24/2021 at 3:27 PM, CptSlevin said:

…M10 is still a very good camera, but glasses users suffer to see even 35mm framelines ;(

Not my experience; clearly seen and a much better viewing experience than earlier models with larger diameter VF and better eye relief.  I also wear flexible frames with thinnest glass possible and scratch resistant lenses.  Fine even with an added .5 diopter. Mileage varies.

Jeff

On 7/24/2021 at 6:55 PM, Steven said:

M11 Update: 

Hi Steven,

Thanks for the info. A couple of follow-up questions:

- will the battery release be similar to the Q2 / SL2-S because that mechanism is genius?

- will the button layout on the back be similar to the Q2 / SL2-S?

- Q2 / SL2-S menus too?

Bottom line is I hope they add as many features from the Q2 / SL2-S to the M11 as possible while staying true to the rangefinder origin (read: no EVF).

• Haha 1

The optical viewfinder could use some work. I would like to see the bottom plate go away in favor of an SL/Q bottom. Would like the battery to match the SL and Q2. Would love an EVF option (don't throw anything). That ISO button needs a lot of work. SL2 type menus.

Edited by 6bit

On 4/14/2021 at 9:28 PM, RMF said:

I ‘really’ dislike the idea of a getting rid of the removable baseplate; to me it’s an essential element of what defines a Leica M. Hopefully this rumor is not going to become a reality.

I didn't care for the removable base plate at first, but now that I am using my M10-R much more, I like it.  If I'm using a tripod, I can substitute a RRS Arca Swiss plate with minimal mass addition.  If I want to use my handgrip, same thing.  Putting a hand grip or Arca Swiss baseplate on my Q2 really adds to the mass of the camera and thus I almost never use it.

On 4/14/2021 at 10:49 PM, andyturk said:

Not that I want another digital M (have two already), but here's my wish-list:

1. Instantaneous wake-from-sleep
  2. A battery with its own built-in USB charging port (i.e., doesn't require a separate charger)
  3. IBIS or some kind of computational image stabilization
  4. Fix the stupid Wifi implementation or remove it entirely
  5. Every digital M should have a faux wind lever like the -D
  6. Ditch the mechanical frame line lever on the front
  7. Low ISO capability so you don't have to carry ND filters
  8. A flash socket that's TTL compatible with Profoto

No on #6 - that's called a M (Type 240) and people wanted it back.  I use it all the time before changing lenses and it doesn't really take up any room.   Agree with everything else.

6 hours ago, T.J. said:

No on #6 - that's called a M (Type 240) and people wanted it back.  I use it all the time before changing lenses and it doesn't really take up any room.   Agree with everything else.

Plus, one of my M10 bodies has to have that jiggled from time to time for the correct frame lines to show up.

I got over the base plate after using a half case Arte di Mano. I welcome it disappearing. 

On 7/31/2021 at 2:45 AM, Jeff S said:

Not my experience; clearly seen and a much better viewing experience than earlier models with larger diameter VF and better eye relief.  I also wear flexible frames with thinnest glass possible and scratch resistant lenses.  Fine even with an added .5 diopter. Mileage varies.

Jeff

Jeff, hello!
Can you please share model of your glasses?
I would like to purchase them

• Fang changed the title to Leak image of M11
  • jaapv changed the title to Leica M11 - your next camera? {MERGED}