Leica M11 - your next camera? {MERGED}

Al Brown

Advertisement (gone after registration)

11 hours ago, Steven said:

It is rumoured to be a BSI sensor ! If it is anything like the one in the SL2-S, it is a GAME CHANGER.

It feels the M system is lagging behind with tech that most of the competition already has...Rather is about time the M will get bsi. It should of been with the R, but Leica likes to build anticipation with its incremental upgrades 😉

8 hours ago, Jeff S said:

For the newcomers here, this is the same routine with every new or rumored release.  First, a wish list (search related M11 discussions). Then rumors.  Then release (or not if false rumor * ). Then complaints. Then praises. Until the next cycle. 

* Leica Rumors, 

Fact of life...dream, reality, disappointment, crisis, acceptance..repeat.

Theres always hope for a better M 😉

• Like 1

M11 - Your next camera?

No, thank you! With my M10, I'm more than happy, and I don't see the point to upgrade, or even downgrade depending what they have prepared 😜. I would instead spend in an M10M or Q2M. In this case, yes, it makes more sense to me. BW sensor is another world. But having already an M10, whatever specs the M11 will have, I can happily live w/o it.
I'm positive my M10 will be more than enough for a few years. It's a bright 0.72x OVF, small, light, and beautiful. Up to 6400 iso works excellent, and it's my primary choice for travels, street photography, family, landscape, and projects. What can I ask more?

But I'm definitely interested in a new Visoflex. It could be a very significant addition to my tiny Leica bag. Helpful when needed, small space, and highly effective.

• Like 3

In FF sensors, BSI does not help with low light capabilities. It helps with faster readout and with corners when using older wide-angle lenses (steep beam angle).

At ISO 160 and higher, Leica M10/M10-R has the same DR (low-light capability) as a Nikon Z 7 (BSI sensor). It is unlikely that it can be improved, with or without BSI.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 6

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Not that I want another digital M (have two already), but here's my wish-list:

1. Instantaneous wake-from-sleep
  2. A battery with its own built-in USB charging port (i.e., doesn't require a separate charger)
  3. IBIS or some kind of computational image stabilization
  4. Fix the stupid Wifi implementation or remove it entirely
  5. Every digital M should have a faux wind lever like the -D
  6. Ditch the mechanical frame line lever on the front
  7. Low ISO capability so you don't have to carry ND filters
  8. A flash socket that's TTL compatible with Profoto
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, andyturk said:

2. A battery with its own built-in USB charging port (i.e., doesn't require a separate charger)

Give me 1, 5 and 7 (in the form of faster shutter speeds) and they can take my money.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SrMi said:

What I'd like in M11 is a stacked sensor with very fast readout speed so that M11 can be used with electronic shutter instead of the mechanical one.

Electronic shutter and electronic first curtain shutter would both be welcome additions, alongside mechanic shutter of course.

The purpose of optionally enabled EFCS:

• decrease shutter lag when in LV mode (no need to close the shutter before then opening it up again to start exposing)
  • decrease shutter lag when using other exposure metering programs than classic
  • quieter shutter

The purpose of optionally enabled ES:

• silent operation in places where silence is paramount
  • filter-free wide aperture shooting 24/7 (just keep in mind about the limitations of sensor readout)
Edited by mike3996

10 hours ago, andyturk said:

Some excellent suggestions. I'll second 1,5, 7 & 8

48 minutes ago, Sid Bolan said:

Some excellent suggestions. I'll second 1,5, 7 & 8

Out of this list, here are the three most important feature, in order from the most important to the least:

1. Wind lever 

2. 1/8000th shutter speed

3. Instant wake up time

That's all I need to make a check. 

6 minutes ago, Steven said:

Out of this list, here are the three most important feature, in order from the most important to the least:

1. Wind lever 

2. 1/8000th shutter speed

3. Instant wake up time

That's all I need to make a check. 

My M8 has 1/8000th on the dial, but the mechanism capable of moving that quickly sounds like a garbage truck going past on every exposure.

Interesting that the "wind" lever is getting some traction here. I miss that from the old Epson RD-1, where the lever actually cocked the shutter even though it was a digital camera.

10 minutes ago, andyturk said:

My M8 has 1/8000th on the dial, but the mechanism capable of moving that quickly sounds like a garbage truck going past on every exposure.

The M8.2, with 1/4000 speed, still had an awful sound, which emanated from the re-cocking action (delayed with ‘discreet mode’).  Fortunately we’ve gotten well past that.

Jeff

18 hours ago, jdlaing said:

No, it does not. Leica does not use off the shelf sensors.

To quote someone somewhere on the internet...

I mean, maybe they do actually store it on the shelf somewhere in a factory, but I mean they don't get it off any regular shelf, accessible to all, it's a high up shelf.

• Haha 3

46 minutes ago, junix said:

To quote someone somewhere on the internet...

I mean, maybe they do actually store it on the shelf somewhere in a factory, but I mean they don't get it off any regular shelf, accessible to all, it's a high up shelf.

Not quite. They specify and design certain things they want and a sensor manufacturer supplies exactly what they want.

8 minutes ago, jdlaing said:

Not quite. They specify and design certain things they want and a sensor manufacturer supplies exactly what they want.

I thought it was quite clear I was joking.. quoted Kai W with his M10-R hands-on.

1 minute ago, jdlaing said:

If you were joking it should have been funny.

It was really funny to me. :)

Back on track, I look forward to the M11, but most of all the updated Visoflex as the current version was obviously not designed for the M series.

• Like 2

• Fang changed the title to Leak image of M11
  • jaapv changed the title to Leica M11 - your next camera? {MERGED}