Leica M11 - your next camera? {MERGED}

Al Brown

46 minutes ago, ianman said:

The 907X special edition. Because it has a “On the moon since 1969” plaque on the side.

Hasselblad stopped making those. You can get one on eBay for $15k. I am not selling mine :).

7 minutes ago, SrMi said:

The name X1D 100C is just a place holder for whatever X1D 50c successor will be :).

I'm not sure what you'll gain - the 50c is really exceptional.  That sensor is in so many cameras, despite its relative age ...

4 hours ago, evikne said:

Leica was so close to the perfect camera with the M10-D. The ideal D model would be an analog M, only with a digital sensor. It should be as independent as possible of other time- and power-consuming solutions.

Have you considered the MD-262 ? Sensor performance not significantly different to the 10 (in most people's opinion), same colour renditions as M10, ISO on the back, no wifi or other electronic add-ons .. and black paint so it brasses.  Beautiful. however it is of course slightly bigger than the M10 body although I held both and felt it to be a non-issue - the lack of screen makes it seem much smaller than it's contemporaries that have a screen . 

Of course it doesn't have the advance lever, which seems quite polarising anyway.  I kinda liked that feature although didn't really like the icons for 'wifi' etc being present on a camera of this ethos, so ultimately went for the 262.

But it was a hard decision - No doubt that both of the D's are beautiful.

Edited by grahamc

4 minutes ago, IkarusJohn said:

I'm not sure what you'll gain - the 50c is really exceptional.  That sensor is in so many cameras, despite its relative age ...

Agreed, I am very happy with the 50c as well. Since Fuji is soon launching a new camera with that 50MP sensor, maybe X1D successor will still use the 50MP sensor. I'll be fine with that.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, earleygallery said:

Where do you think most M users use their cameras? Looking at random examples in the photo forums would suggest city centres and residential suburbs, where I think wifi is not an issue.

It's hard to imagine a street photographer, a landscape photographer, a wedding photographer or other photographic styles working to capture a moment having to have WiFi or GPS.  The primary exception is, of course, sports photography or other similar types of photography such as live news coverage where files are immediately streamed to an editor.  I suspect most M shooters want to do their own editing and post.

5 hours ago, ianman said:

As things are looking my next camera could be a Hasselblad.

As aggravated as I sometimes get with M10's slow start-up/wake-up time, always new accessories/batteries with every digital M model, or poor turn-around repair time, it's still the only company that gives me an option of using film and digital and truly enjoy the experience.

I'm also hoping the next M is not too radical of a change in form factor. The existing one would be great, but I'm sure it will change, at least some, to accommodate the SL's battery.

11 hours ago, michaelbrenner said:

An M should be a -- first and always -- a camera and not a computer.  The critical purpose of an M is to take pictures.  All other properties should be secondary, if even included at all.  Realistically, what matters more to an M user -- capturing the moment or having WiFi/GPS running?  The essential use of an M often precludes WiFi as there often is no network availability where one is likely to use an M.  GPS is certainly convenient, but not at the expense of greatly-shortened battery life.  I would venture to suggest that most M shooters have top priority of capturing that magic moment and could care less about WiFi or GPS, if it means missing the moment.  For example, if waking up the camera or turning it on is slowed by WiFi or GPS, I certainly would not want those features active.  My "priority" and that of the M camera ought always be to GET THE PICTURE as quickly as one can before the moment is lost or missed.  There is nothing so frustrating in photography as to watch that magic moment go by with one's eyes while frantically trying to get a picture only be held back by the camera not being ready.  A properly configured M camera should "out draw" any other modern camera on the market as all settings are already set and the shutter merely needs to be released.  Not so, if you are sitting there waiting for the M to "get ready."

It would be perfect if it had a removable sensor module with all electronics integrated. 

• Fang changed the title to Leak image of M11
  • jaapv changed the title to Leica M11 - your next camera? {MERGED}