Leica M11 - your next camera? {MERGED}

Al Brown

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Well I too hope that the form factor of the M will not change in the future, but for me it's a moot point because it's very doubtful that I will be upgrading beyond the M10's myself. 

After Leica came back to near film M size bodies with the M10 range changing the form in anyway would be disappointing and doubtless turn many people off of upgrading to the 11 and losing the pretty much perfect body shape of the M10's. As for the other rumoured improvements on the M11, that's good but of little interest to me as I've decided to stick with the M10P/M10-D that I have and 24mp has proven to be just fine for me in a number of ways including the "look" of the 24mp sensor. More electronics with added features too would give me pause too because sadly Leica's electronics haven't proven to be as bullet-proof as other manufacturers, at least in my experience and I've the work orders to prove that.............Plus of course the continued expense of upgrading the cameras every 1-2 years gets somewhat ridiculous, ( the leaked rumours and the pumped-up excitement of a launch day reminds me so much of that master merchandiser Steve Jobs....." oh yes, there's one more thing"! )...........At sometime or another one just has to say "enough" and use what you have.

Having said all that I do applaud Leica's continued development of the M line and hope that it attracts enough people who can afford the step-ups to continue to enable the company to flourish.

I have to admit that all this M11 talk and speculation are making me want to buy an M10D again. It might become a timeless classic now. 

I forgot to say: I've asked if we can hope to ever see an M11D. I was told that Leica has probably given up on screen less digital cameras. The M10D might just be the last of it's kind. 

7 minutes ago, Steven said:

I have to admit that all this M11 talk and speculation are making me want to buy an M10D again. It might become a timeless classic now. 

I forgot to say: I've asked if we can hope to ever see an M11D. I was told that Leica has probably given up on screen less digital cameras. The M10D might just be the last of it's kind. 

If the M11 is square, then my next camera is probably an M10D too.

4 minutes ago, anickpick said:

The M11 won‘t be square.

It is marginally less wide compared to the M10 with a cleaner design.

I probably won’t have a marginally less wide camera either. One reason why I don’t use a half case is that it makes the camera look more square, and I don’t like it.

• Like 1

So the M11 is gonna be more or less like this?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Haha 4

Advertisement (gone after registration)

30 minutes ago, Simone_DF said:

I hope not! Where am I supposed to get gaffer tape in that colour of blue to cover up the red dot? 😳

• Haha 4

45 minutes ago, Denys said:

I hope not! Where am I supposed to get gaffer tape in that colour of blue to cover up the red dot? 😳

You can get the Black Paint Jack Limited Edition

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Simone_DF
  • Haha 2

24 minutes ago, Simone_DF said:

You can get the Black Paint Limited Edition

Actually...   ..I did see that in my local dealer - there’s no lcd screen on the back, so I assumed it was the 11-D version..😳👍📸

4 hours ago, Steven said:

My M10-D is at Wetzlar again, it's fourth visit "home" since new.........Once more for an electronic issue, but if it is repairable as I have been told it is then I will be pleased to have it back with my Leica M kit. I intend to keep it until the camera or I proves to be unrepairable.

3 hours ago, evikne said:

I probably won’t have a marginally less wide camera either. One reason why I don’t use a half case is that it makes the camera look more square, and I don’t like it.

I agree.  I think marginally in this case means less than 1mm - probably the rounded sides are ever so slightly less round.

As mentioned above, this rumor sounds like a red herring, probably designed to scare us into buying the M10-R BP now.  Almost worked on me - for the first time I'm actually considering it.  Plus, I for one, would hate to lose the base plate.

6 minutes ago, ELAN said:

I agree.  I think marginally in this case means less than 1mm - probably the rounded sides are ever so slightly less round.

1mm narrower I can accept. Maybe the change is not so dramatic after all.

But anyway, what I am waiting for, is the M11-D. So it's even more scary when @Steven says that Leica might stop making screenless cameras. I really hope that's not true.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, anickpick said:

The M11 won‘t be square.

It is marginally less wide compared to the M10 with a cleaner design.

I wonder which buttons will they remove this time, but I’m looking forward to a cleaner design. :)

If we push to the extreme LV, MENU and PLAY can be completely removed from the left side of the screen (something Fuji did on the X100V, IMHO great design as you can operate the camera with the right hand only) and integrated in the Direction pads on the right side, something like this: UP for LV, RIGHT for MENU and DOWN for PLAY, LEFT can be user customizable.

Just thinking aloud.. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Simone_DF said:

Don't knock it!

That is essentially the first camera I ever used to take pictures with artistic intent (rather than just family snapshots).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diana_(camera)

They were handed out to all the students in my introductory art class in high school (ca. 1970), to explore line and shape and pattern and texture and so on.

It kicked off a life-time career.

• Like 2

On 6/27/2021 at 12:37 AM, Steven said:

M11 Update: 

Here is what I know so far. It was reconfirmed to me that the new BSI sensor will be able to shoot around 60MP, with lower resolution compressed raws. Not sure exactly of the numbers but it will be something around 20-40-60 MP

No baseplate confirmed. 

Q2 style battery confirmed. 

Highest weatherproofing rating of any M yet. 

Low light capabilities will be unprecedented. 

No EVF confirmed. New visoflex with the same resolution and latency as the SL2. 

Now, here's the new thing I know. The designed will be different, and apparently, most of us will hate it. It is said to be smaller than the M10, but not in height, just on the sides. I am hearing the design will be more squared than round. The people who've seen have said very bad things about it so far. 

After all, the M10R BP might be the last great digital M. 

What about the fake advance lever? 

• Fang changed the title to Leak image of M11
  • jaapv changed the title to Leica M11 - your next camera? {MERGED}