Leica M11 - your next camera? {MERGED}

Al Brown

Advertisement (gone after registration)

vor 4 Stunden schrieb Steven:

Thanks for starting this thread. You forgot to add the most important unofficial feature. 

It is rumoured to be a BSI sensor ! If it is anything like the one in the SL2-S, it is a GAME CHANGER. The low light capabilities of the M11 will finally be worth mentioning, and it will remove all need for ibis. 

Fixed bottom plate, I am curious about that ! 

Fixed bottom? I guess It means same battery slot as Q or SL

For the newcomers here, this is the same routine with every new or rumored release.  First, a wish list (search related M11 discussions). Then rumors.  Then release (or not if false rumor * ). Then complaints. Then praises. Until the next cycle. Some users of existing model firmly state up front that they are content, and even opposed to a new iteration... these folks often become the new model’s best advocates (usually after Jono’s review).

* Leica Rumors, the source here, had a good track record for years after the M9 release, but have been wildly inaccurate in several instances since, including the ‘M/CL’ debacle,  the missed timing on the SL2 (twice in the course of a year), etc.  They are in the business of attracting new viewers, not necessarily being accurate.

Jeff

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 5

6 minutes ago, Al Brown said:

It's the same people lol

Peter.  He hates the publisher of another rumor site, which I maybe wrongly confused with your link.  In any event, the rumor had a source, with more info, not disclosed in your opening post.

Jeff

38 minutes ago, humerc said:

For me the most important question is: will there be an M11-D?? :)

While I care much for that question too, the most important question not yet answered isn’t this. The most important question left is: EVF or RF ? 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Al Brown said:

So the unofficial rumor has it that 11/11/21 is the launch date for M11.
Unofficially no ibis.
Unofficially 36 megapixels.
Apparently fixed bottom plate.

(BSI sensor).

IBIS - don't care. Unless it requires a larger body, then, NOT INTERESTED

36 Mp - not for me, unless, as mentioned, a reduced-raw (18Mp .DNG) file format is an option.

Trap doors in place of removable bottom - not interested. Having worked at a camera shop, the number of broken "trap door" latches and hinges that I've seen on battery and card compartments makes me doubtful.

BSI sensor - Good idea, depending on actual implementation. Been kinda waiting for this.

- Should reduce IR/red contamination (remember the "foveon-effect" - red wavelengths penetrate deeper into silicon)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foveon_X3_sensor

- Should improve ISO capability (etched circuitry on back, more photo-sensitive surface facing lens).

- May increase capture speed and frame-rate, depending on what is attached directly to the back of the sensor (buffer, processor). But "stuff on the back" may not fit in an M.

Things I want that are not yet mentioned.

- Much better flare protection inside the camera chamber: metal baffles as in film Ms ever since the original M6, "ultra-black" interior paint.

https://mymodernmet.com/stuart-semple-black-paint/

Accessories: still waiting for a "rear-LCD-sized" add-on top viewing plate that attaches onto the hot shoe and uses the Viso contacts (NOT wifi or FOTOS!) - for waist-level compositions with the eye-point 0.3m/1ft or more away from the camera. One of the all-time great features of pro cameras like Hasselblads, Rolleis, Nikons (through the F5) and Canons (through the F-1).

A flip-out LCD would be a just-acceptable alternative (extra built-in weight, vulnerable hinge).

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

I guess this means 2 things..

1. Soon(ish) there might be a stripped down M-E"10" budget Leica that I can't afford

and

2. Looks used M10 prices will reach my comfort zone some time around 12/2021-02/2022

Finally everything's coming up Milhouse 😅

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

vor einer Stunde schrieb Steven:

While I care much for that question too, the most important question not yet answered isn’t this. The most important question left is: EVF or RF ? 

Without an RF it wouldn’t be an M (Messsucher). So I think that isn’t really a question in this case (let’s hope ;))

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Steven said:

With a rumored new Visoflex, one would presume RF.

Jeff

6 hours ago, Herr Barnack said:

That was my initial reaction, too. 

I can't see how sticking with the M10R's 40.89 megapixel resolution would be a bad thing in a BSI sensor.

Rumor is that Sony is putting a 36mp BSI sensor in the new A7IV...I wouldn't be surprised if this is the same sensor. After all, doesn't the SL2-S have the same sensor as the A7III?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SiggiGun said:

Resolution vs. Low light is every time a compromise 

I had been thinking that this tradeoff had been resolved, but apparently not. 

Leica digital M cameras seem like slow pokes compared to some of the dizzying ISO claims made by other camera makers.  I read earlier today that Nikon's D6 flagship camera can have its "sensitivity range set natively from ISO 100-102,400 or expanded to ISO 50-3,280,000."  I am guessing that with the D6, ISO 102,400 is somewhat usable in terms of image quality but that using ISO 3,280,000 would result in hideous image quality.  I am also guessing that in Nikon speak, "natively" = not pushed while "expanded" = pushed.

I'm also guessing that Leica's modest maximum ISOs are a result of Leica's desire for higher image quality.  If your intent is to make exhibit quality prints, it's a necessary tradeoff.

I have shot for 5 1/2 years with my M-P 240 with a maximum ISO of 6400.  My Q2's max ISO of 50,000 was a huge improvement, even if the higher ISO images from the Q2 start to crumble in terms of IQ.  

When I got my M10 Monochrom, I thought I was in Leica's high ISO promised land.

Edited by Herr Barnack
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, KateStarr said:

Rumor is that Sony is putting a 36mp BSI sensor in the new A7IV...I wouldn't be surprised if this is the same sensor. After all, doesn't the SL2-S have the same sensor as the A7III?

No, it does not. Leica does not use off the shelf sensors.

• Like 3

• Fang changed the title to Leak image of M11
  • jaapv changed the title to Leica M11 - your next camera? {MERGED}