Leica M11 - your next camera? {MERGED}

Al Brown

Guest Nowhereman

Advertisement (gone after registration)

13 hours ago, Mr.Q said:

... to my knowledge, there is no "M9/CCD preset" in existence that can be applied to match the CCD look every time...

Actually, there are new profiles and simulations that have been developed by Cobalt-Image that look very good. I have only bought their profiles for the M10, which are at least as accurate as custom profiles. In addition, there are several simulation packs, including M9 simulations and Monochrom simulations. You can read a long discussion of all this, including lots of examples and comparisons on the Fred Miranda Forum

Edited by Nowhereman

50 minutes ago, evikne said:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Jaap’s phrasing is better... “90% of the print quality doesn’t depend on the hardware, nor the software, but is determined by the bioware.” I’ve been meaning to borrow his wording.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S
  • Like 1

"Leica M11 - your next camera?" Apparently not. Not for me anyway. After months of thought and reviewing reactions across the internet and forums, I just yesterday decided to purchase the M10-R and almost... patiently awaiting for it to arrive. I do have Steven to partly blame. Once I found out yesterday that he purchased the M10-R Again, that pushed me over the edge and click click "submit" 🙃 With that said, I will of course keep my eye on the M11 rumors as they progress or not. *Do we really think the M11 will come so soon after the M10-M/R ? I think we might see more M APO lenses first. 

And yes, assuming the M11 remains a rangefinder and does come with a BSI sensor, I'll probably buy at some point too. 

Edited by LBJ2

47 minutes ago, LBJ2 said:

"Leica M11 - your next camera?" Apparently not. Not for me anyway. After months of thought and reviewing reactions across the internet and forums, I just yesterday decided to purchase the M10-R and almost... patiently awaiting for it to arrive. I do have Steven to partly blame. Once I found out yesterday that he purchased the M10-R Again, that pushed me over the edge and click click "submit" 🙃 With that said, I will of course keep my eye on the M11 rumors as they progress or not. *Do we really think the M11 will come so soon after the M10-M/R ? I think we might see more M APO lenses first. 

And yes, assuming the M11 remains a rangefinder and does come with a BSI sensor, I'll probably buy at some point too. 

Why do you think it needs a BSI sensor?

1 minute ago, LBJ2 said:

I don't think the M11 needs a BSI sensor. But it would be a nice differentiator to the M10-R. More light is more light !

If they put the sensor of the SL2S in the M11...... oh my goodness 😇😇😍 Sadly they won't. 

What the rumored M11 Does need to have IMO is a much more powerful/efficient processor and support for UHS-II card speeds.  I've not tried the M10-R myself yet but too many confidants tell me it's noticeably laggy and buffer fills quicikly compared to the M10. Of coursing pushing more MPs around with the same processor is expected. Not a deal breaker but noticeable. 

Edited by LBJ2

38 minutes ago, LBJ2 said:

What the rumored M11 Does need to have IMO is a much more powerful/efficient processor and support for UHS-II card speeds.  I've not tried the M10-R myself yet but too many confidants tell me it's noticeably laggy and buffer fills quicikly compared to the M10. Of coursing pushing more MPs around with the same processor is expected. Not a deal breaker but noticeable. 

I confirm that my biggest complaint about the M10R is the laggy buffer. You try to take two photos quickly back to back and you need to pause. It’s very annoying. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Steven said:

I confirm that my biggest complaint about the M10R is the laggy buffer. You try to take two photos quickly back to back and you need to pause. It’s very annoying. 

Incredible... Unacceptable to me.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Mr.Q said:

Well this is a gear forum. And differences in rendering and color pallette are valid points to be made in a gear forum. 

If you truly believe that the photographer and his/her skill is all that really matters, I'm curious as to why you visit a gear forum as routinely as you do.

I think computers and developing software is part of that tool equation. So I agree with Jeff (in this case).

1 hour ago, Steven said:

not exaggerating a little? I take quickly 5-6  in raw+jpg before it slows. My style of shooting is double tap all the time when shooting people.

I find the M10-R images are a little compressed, I don't mean detail loss. the files a much smaller then SL2 files. and In editing they take much longer to read then SL2.

34 minutes ago, Photoworks said:

not exaggerating a little? I take quickly 5-6  in raw+jpg before it slows. My style of shooting is double tap all the time when shooting people.

I find the M10-R images are a little compressed, I don't mean detail loss. the files a much smaller then SL2 files. and In editing they take much longer to read then SL2.

Maybe it has to do with my memory card ? I use the pro grades V90 and they are very slow on my SL2S as well. Play back is unbearable. 

4 hours ago, Steven said:

It will cost 1000 dollars more, to begin with 🤪

That is a given - not a distinction.

Good Gawd Amighty - between prices and the hellish library module in Lightroom, sometimes I think about selling all my digital Leicas and going back to shooting only film.

Edited by Herr Barnack
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, LBJ2 said:

I don't think the M11 needs a BSI sensor. But it would be a nice differentiator to the M10-R. More light is more light !

BSI does not add more light with larger sensors. It improves readout speed and improves corners handling.

Latest BSI sensors have a a larger dual-conversion gain step.

34 minutes ago, SrMi said:

BSI does not add more light with larger sensors. It improves readout speed and improves corners handling.

Latest BSI sensors have a a larger dual-conversion gain step.

"A back-illuminated sensor or backside illuminated sensor (BSI) is an imaging sensor for digital cameras with a different layout from other sensors that allows more light to be collected at the pixel level. The resulting images have less digital noise, and low-light performance can be improved by as much as a stop or more."

https://www.photo-digitaltransitions.com/bsi-sensors-demystified/

https://www.adorama.com/alc/faq-whats-a-back-side-illuminated-sensor/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Fang changed the title to Leak image of M11
  • jaapv changed the title to Leica M11 - your next camera? {MERGED}