Leica M11 - your next camera? {MERGED}

Al Brown

Advertisement (gone after registration)

11 hours ago, Photoworks said:

How can limiting Dynamic range true CCD sensor be progress ?

you can still buy an M9, but WHY? Kodak and Imacon are already history.

I've got to believe that a modern CCD sensor would also benefit from newer silicon just as CMOS sensors have. Is there some special CCD magic? I wouldn't bet my life on it, but it seems plausible. And it seems perfectly in line with the M-series concept to go back to system optimized for stills only (i.e., no live view, and no video).

P.S. I still have an M8. With enough light, the images are wonderful. But overall, it's no nearly as good a camera as an M10.

P.P.S. OnSemi still makes a 50MP CCD sensor, but not with a 3:2 aspect ratio.

12 hours ago, M10 for me said:

So as we learn there is no CCD look. We hope that there is at least the Leica look. I fear that this one is a myth as well. 

There was a huge thread about that a few months back.

Conclusion, there is a Leica look (sometimes, some places, with some lenses, with a kind of contrast, or another kind of contrast, or a glow, or......maybe just any picture that looks like it might have been taken by Cartier-Bresson, on an off day) ;)

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, stefanusj said:

just gimme a thinner M10 body with a better battery (battery life), 24MP, remove the red dot and.... paint it GLOSSY BLACK (aka: black paint). 

... just call it M11

I'll just buy it!!!

You want a Black Paint M?! Get your wallet ready. 

2 hours ago, Steven said:

You want a Black Paint M?! Get your wallet ready. 

Less than 200 to be made available.  That sounds like a typical Leice end-of-series product. Not an M11.  Buy that (if you can) and then be prepared for the almost ready  M11 in November.  

Buyer beware, as they say!

Edited by lucerne

Advertisement (gone after registration)

6 hours ago, adan said:

Conclusion, there is a Leica look (sometimes, some places, with some lenses, with a kind of contrast, or another kind of contrast, or a glow, or......maybe just any picture that looks like it might have been taken by Cartier-Bresson, on an off day) ;)

This ought to be a 'Sticky', and referenced at least weekly!

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, lucerne said:

Less than 2000 to be made available.  That sounds like a typical Leice end-of-series product. Not an M11.  Buy that (if you can) and then be prepared for the almost ready  M11 in November.  

Buyer beware, as they say!

• Thanks 1

Reading that article, Mr. Farkas makes a good case that one can emulate the CCD look by post-processing the files side-by-side.

However, to my knowledge, there is no "M9/CCD preset" in existence that can be applied to match the CCD look every time.

All he proved is that you need to go out shooting with both a CMOS and CCD camera to get a CCD look 😁

So to Mr. Farkas I'd like to say thanks but no thanks.  I'm keeping my M9-P.

24 minutes ago, Mr.Q said:

However, to my knowledge, there is no "M9/CCD preset" in existence that can be applied to match the CCD look every time.

Farkas did indeed create a preset, which he shared (see end of link), to emulate his M9 desired rendering for the M240. At the time, he hadn’t done it for an M10, but wrote that it was quite doable.  But as he notes, presets are only a starting point for his editing, with each picture typically demanding its own tweaks (as most any critical editor/printer would require).

https://www.reddotforum.com/content/2020/04/lightroom-presets-for-leica-cameras/

Jeff

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Jeff S said:

Farkas did indeed create a preset, which he shared (see end of link), to emulate his M9 desired rendering for the M240. At the time, he hadn’t done it for an M10, but wrote that it was quite doable.  But as he notes, presets are only a starting point for his editing, with each picture typically demanding its own tweaks (as most any critical editor/printer would require).

https://www.reddotforum.com/content/2020/04/lightroom-presets-for-leica-cameras/

Jeff

Right, a preset is only a starting point. Just like film, the CCD look can be simulated, but not completely replicated with presets.

His article only proves that digital images can be manipulated side-by-side to look very similar.  As if we didn't know that already.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mr.Q said:

Right, a preset is only a starting point. Just like film, the CCD look can be simulated, but not completely replicated with presets.

His article only proves that digital images can be manipulated side-by-side to look very similar.  As if we didn't know that already.

The point is that the user determines the ultimate output.  One doesn’t need to go out with two cameras, or need side by side files, to understand how to edit images for a desired rendering.  A good eye and good judgment is what’s required; the tools between the ears.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Jeff S said:

Jeff

Leica Miami has an agreement with Adobe and therefore pushes their new products. Unfortunately therefore the presets only work with Adobe CC. I am still on LR 5, and I am not going to upgrade since I started to move to alternative software for PP. 

Edited by Martin B
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, Jeff S said:

The point is that the user determines the ultimate output.  One doesn’t need to go out with two cameras, or need side by side files, to understand how to edit images for a desired rendering.  A good eye and good judgment is what’s required; the tools between the ears.

Jeff

Actually that's more of a point you like to make repetetively on this forum. I feel like I've read that line at least 10 times.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mr.Q said:

Actually that's more of a point you like to make repetetively on this forum. I feel like I've read that line at least 10 times.

Probably more.  As long as others like you keep making statements about gear and end results.  A never ending pursuit.

Jeff

• Thanks 1

Well this is a gear forum. And differences in rendering and color pallette are valid points to be made in a gear forum. 

If you truly believe that the photographer and his/her skill is all that really matters, I'm curious as to why you visit a gear forum as routinely as you do.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mr.Q said:

Well this is a gear forum. And differences in rendering and color pallette are valid points to be made in a gear forum. 

If you truly believe that the photographer and his/her skill is all that really matters, I'm curious as to why you visit a gear forum as routinely as you do.

Hard to make photos without gear (and colors/rendering can be easily changed via gear/profiles, etc, as dictated by the user). I love photography, while keeping the tools in perspective. I’ve never made a final pic/print without edits and choices...before, during and after the shoot.

The forum is entertainment for me in retirement, although my real satisfaction has come from occasionally helping others, especially getting a number of members (at their PM request) started down the printing path, and helping others resolve problems with gear and/or process.  The gratitude I’ve received makes the banter worthwhile.

Jeff

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mr.Q said:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Haha 3

• Fang changed the title to Leak image of M11
  • jaapv changed the title to Leica M11 - your next camera? {MERGED}