Leica M11 - your next camera? {MERGED}

Al Brown

On 4/14/2021 at 4:34 PM, roma said:

I bet within a month people will already start complaining how M11's color is all wrong because of the new sensor tech, and this is wrong, and that's wrong, and how M10 is the best Leica ever made. All of this before a single M11 sees the light of day. We know the drill 😉 😀

Spot on! 😂

On 4/14/2021 at 6:18 PM, Mpi said:

I own a M10-R, if I just go by the rumors, I don't see anything that justifies the price of an upgrade. The two main things they could do to make me upgrade is IBIS (which apparently won't happen) or if they somehow manage to make the camera even prettier (yes I admit it, the main reason I started using Leica M is because I think they're the prettiest cameras on the market).The bottom plate is something I actually like, not for any functional reasons I just like the way it makes the camera look. BSI is nice, but imho not a big enough upgrade 

Agree. IBIS would be a thing that would tip me over upgrading from my 240.

On 4/14/2021 at 5:08 PM, mike3996 said:

This makes sense overall: M11 can then fit a bigger battery to deal with the battery life problems of M10.

This. Would love to see a big battery back in the digital Ms.

I sometimes (but not normally) miss the high ISO in M10/R, but do not like the smaller batteries.

On 4/15/2021 at 6:49 AM, andyturk said:

Not that I want another digital M (have two already), but here's my wish-list:

1. Instantaneous wake-from-sleep
  2. A battery with its own built-in USB charging port (i.e., doesn't require a separate charger)
  3. IBIS or some kind of computational image stabilization
  4. Fix the stupid Wifi implementation or remove it entirely
  5. Every digital M should have a faux wind lever like the -D
  6. Ditch the mechanical frame line lever on the front
  7. Low ISO capability so you don't have to carry ND filters
  8. A flash socket that's TTL compatible with Profoto

Would love to see your first four:

1. Instantaneous wake-from-sleep
  2. A battery with its own built-in USB charging port (i.e., doesn't require a separate charger)
  3. IBIS or some kind of computational image stabilization
  4. Fix the stupid Wifi implementation or remove it entirely

On 4/16/2021 at 8:23 PM, andyturk said:

Oh! I forgot about the LED frame lines. They don't come on until the camera is awake. Personally, I much preferred the old naturally illuminated frame lines of earlier Ms.

9. Naturally illuminated frame lines like the M9, M8, ...

I would like the return of the red LED frame lines. Even if I do not use frame lines too often, they are much nicer in red than clear white. Especially in low light situations.

On 4/17/2021 at 4:40 PM, jankap said:

My father bought an If. The camera was upgraded to a IIf. I got it for my exam. After a few years the shutter jammed. We decided to upgrade it to a IIIf together with the repair of the shutter. Sometimes I still use the camera, 60 years later without even a CLA.

A If can take pictures (times 25 to 1000), one has to use an optical viewfinder, but a flash socket is available. The IIf adds the rangefinder mechanism (with eye adjustment) and the viewfinder. With the IIIf the long times (and T) and the self timer are added.

Do you wish for a new iiif instead of a new M?

• Like 1

On 4/19/2021 at 2:50 AM, rramesh said:

Actually the latest watch is called a phone. It also doubles as a camera and an entertainment centre. And you can talk and interact with all your friends and relatives. If you are still not sure, ask Siri.

I actually the other way around; I use my Apple Watch as a phone. Love the small compact size! 🙂

On 4/20/2021 at 4:27 AM, John Ricard said:

God how I hope the eventual EVF "M" camera retains the "M" designation.  I can't tell you how tired I am of people on this forum constantly telling us the German word that the M stands for.  We know.  Stop already.  So I'm hoping they make a non-rangefinder camera and still call it an M just so we can move on from people telling us what we already know.

Sorry. I do not really see they point with a non RF M.

If you just want "M" logo, it is just a marketing thing. Just put an M on your Leica L-mount camera. Done.

I am all for improvements (IBIS, closer focus range, better ISO, higher speed, better EVF-option, bigger batteries, whether sealing, USB-charing, etc.), but without RF I will never buy an M camera.

That is the core definition of an M camera.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, martinot said:

Sorry. I do not really see they point with a non RF M.

Explained many times already. Some M lens users including truly yours want an M mount camera with an EVF instead of the RF. Calling it M, Z or W is not the point.

On 4/21/2021 at 10:10 PM, Steven said:

All this screen less talk is making me awfully miss my M10D. I sold it last month to protect my M7 and Portra rolls, which didn't get any time out of the house anymore. I regret. 

Was it any thinner than the normal versions with screen?

On 4/22/2021 at 11:53 AM, sinjun said:

My hope would be that Cosina might produce a mirrorless M mount camera, perhaps under the Voigtländer or Zeiss brand.

I really see not point in that. Just put the M-mount adapter on the Leica SL.

• Like 1

On 4/29/2021 at 6:00 PM, Steven said:

100% agree with you. 

An M with an EVF with quality as the one in the SL2 is the last camera I'll ever need. Just like film lovers sticked to the M6, RF lovers can stick to the M10 series, since 99% of them say that the M10 is enough for 99% of things. Let us M11 users embrace the future. The future is EVF. 

I prefer the form factor of my M, but I take BETTER, FASTER, and more ACCURATE photos with the EVF. Focus peaking works when you know how to use it. It's not meant to give you precise focusing, but set on low, it's a good aid for sporting the range of your focus point. 

Just mount the M-lenses on an SL-camera. Done.

Let M be M.

• Like 2

On 5/2/2021 at 9:02 PM, jdlaing said:

Well,

Leica is not financially struggling. They produce other lines than an M camera. First time buyers purchase M bodies as well as the fan base. They don’t have to follow the Saab mentality. Besides that Saab doesn’t have as many megapixels and Leica is not dependent on gasoline or safety features for travel on roads. Comparing an automobile to a rangefinder camera is an excercise in futility.

Yes. SAAB (the car makes) also was never financially profitable any longer time (I think only had one year in black during it's whole lifespan).

• Fang changed the title to Leak image of M11
  • jaapv changed the title to Leica M11 - your next camera? {MERGED}