Leica M11 - your next camera? {MERGED}

Al Brown

Advertisement (gone after registration)

5 minutes ago, M10Alpine said:

I totally disagree - like you, (as far as I understand it) I don't develop myself and I LOVE the wait. I actually shoot film for that specific reason, its no instant gratification, I also had a M10D from its release fro that reason. I shoot film, I misplace some roles, find them, hav them developed and suddenly I have a memory. The mystery of not know what was captured, if it was good and what it will look like is for me the very the foundation of my love affair with film. 

I sometimes shot very diligently with a note book, marking all strings for each picture. But I also just grab a MP or my M7 and snap away. The cost is negligent if one can afford Leica's for fun, with zero pressure to make money of pictures. I spend more on gas for my car, books, food, clothing, not to mention Cuban Cigars. A good smoke is more than a role of film developed and scanned. 

Just my two cents. 

I don't understand from your message which part you "totally disagree" with? 

My initial statement, in summary, is the following: 

The M10D + M10R + M7(or MP or M6 if you prefer) cannot cohabitate. Only two of these cameras can live together in harmony. There will always be one of the three, depending on the person, that will be confusing in the combo. For me, as much as I loved it, it was the M10D. For some, it would be analog camera, for others, it would be the digital camera with a screen. Two of them, whichever combination you choose, makes a lot of sense. Three of them, not so much, IMO. 

Edited by Steven

7 minutes ago, Steven said:

I don't understand from your message which part you "totally disagree" with? 

My initial statement, in summary, is the following: 

The M10D + M10R + M7(or MP or M6 if you prefer) cannot cohabitate. Only two of these cameras can live together in harmony. There will always be one of the three, depending on the person, that will be confusing in the combo. For me, as much as I loved it, it was the M10D. For some, it would be analog camera, for others, it would be the digital camera with a screen. Two of them, whichever combination you choose, makes a lot of sense. Three of them, not so much, IMO. 

I might have missed your point (if so I apologies), but as I understood it, you disliked the wait for the film to be developed and the cost of film etc. 

4 minutes ago, M10Alpine said:

I might have missed your point (if so I apologies), but as I understood it, you disliked the wait for the film to be developed and the cost of film etc. 

I like it when I don’t have an m10d. But when I have the m10d that gives me a film like experience, I’m often tempted to just pick up the m10d for convenience, and I end up sacrificing my M7. Therefore, I sold the M10D. In order to protect my M7. So yes, like you I like waiting for my film. This is what i meant. 

I do miss my M10D again now. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Steven said:

I like it when I don’t have an m10d. But when I have the m10d that gives me a film like experience, I’m often tempted to just pick up the m10d for convenience, and I end up sacrificing my M7. Therefore, I sold the M10D. In order to protect my M7. So yes, like you I like waiting for my film. This is what i meant. 

I do miss my M10D again now. 

I'm shooting film and waiting for the M11D! 

Unlike most I actually don't know if I actually want an upgrade. What can they actually pack in that we need? I don't need 47MP even if I have that in my M10M. 

I just bought a M9P - going backwards....  Mainly because I found a MINT black paint and the unique sensor has its appeal. I think I bought it mostly as a "collators" item.

If they release a black paint M10P its going to be hard to resist....

1 minute ago, M10Alpine said:

If they release a black paint M10P its going to be hard to resist....

We will fight for the top spot on the waiting list ! I would die for this camera. 
is it even in the rumor mill? I did hear about it last year then was told it was cancelled due to covid. 

Edited by Steven
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

9 hours ago, M10Alpine said:

I don't develop myself and I LOVE the wait. I actually shoot film for that specific reason, its no instant gratification

Ahh, the perennial debate...

Some people do photography to get something done - and some people do photography to not get something done... ;)

• Haha 1

vor 1 Minute schrieb lct:

Thank you. Would you have a link to this rumor by chance? Just curious as i have no Facebook account :eek:.

Here is a screen shot 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Am 2.5.2021 um 20:54 schrieb Al Brown:

Maybe an end was inevitable for Saab. Maybe there was just no market left anyway. We will never know for sure.

The problem with SAAB was that the people who owned SAAB did not have a clue about what SAAB was actually all about. In other words, it was a management problem. GM, who owned SAAB for the better part of the last decades, could have transformed SAAB into their high end European luxury brand, just like VW did with Audi. It does take time, but if done right it works. When I was young, Audi was in the same league as Opel and Ford in Germany. For at least the last twenty years, however, they are on par with Mercedes and BMW.

Instead, GM forced SAAB to use Opel/Vauxhall platforms (including engines), which SAAB, SAAB being SAAB, extensively modified to at least meet their own safety standards. Of course, that did not particularly help in making SAAB profitable. SAAB customers did not want rebadged Opel/Vauxhall Vectras, they wanted real SAABs (at least most of them). SAAB had one of the most loyal customer bases in the industry, but GM apparently never understood what it takes to take advantage of that customer base. It is a shame, really. 

I still own a SAAB convertible, and will most likely keep it for the rest of my life. It is not my daily driver, but whenever I drive it, it puts a smile to my face. It is just so much fun to drive. 

Turning to Leica, it seems that Leica's management made a lot of clever decisions in the last 10 - 15 years, so I do not fear that they will follow SAAB's path anytime soon.

Andy

Edited by wizard
  • Like 1

vor 22 Minuten schrieb lct:

Thank you much. So no rumor about the M11 or a possible Q3 if i understand well.

Yes, you're right. However, there is a discussion about the Battery slot etc. for the upcoming M11. I don't think that we will see a Q3 in the next future. But the M11 will be lauched in November 2021. That's the raison that I assume the picture is not a Q2 or Q3 but the M11. AGAIN, all this is speculation.

• Like 1