Leica M11 - your next camera? {MERGED}

Al Brown

4 hours ago, Datsch said:

80% of my photos are not on M because they are in the 0.01 to 0.7m range -- and I'm not alone, as many people like to take pictures of food, flowers, watches, babies, hands, jewelry, face closeups, phones, cameras, etc etc all of which appear to be invisible to Leica's M department.

For this I have the perfect camera. It's called an iPhone.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

If true, this rumour makes me even more happy I own the M10-R. It's a wonderful camera, and 41MP is the absolute perfect amount for me. Any more in the M11-R down the line and the files will be crazy in size, and I love the grain the the M10-R produces; it's genuinely very random and reminds me a lot of film.

If they add IBIS I'll buy an M11, otherwise I don't feel the need currently to replace my camera, but I hope it sells well nonetheless.

Typically I've just ordered a Visoflex 020 for my M10-R today; I would hope the next version might be smaller overall and offer more definition.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Datsch said:

80% of my photos are not on M because they are in the 0.01 to 0.7m range [...] but something that gives say 0.45cm MFD on 50mm lens for example.

0.45m won't help you with taking pictures at 1cm distance. With life view, it is no problem to shoot macro with a digital M. I do this frequently. But I never needed to get that close. Probably because I am using a tele (80mm) for macro, not a wide angle lens.

• Like 1

Macro and proxi photo are not the same things. Focusing all the way from 0.3m to infinity opens new possibilities like those provided by M lenses on bodies with shorter registration distance. Here at about 0.2m with a Super-Angulon 21/3.4 (Sony A7r2 mod). https://photos.smugmug.com/Diverse/n-QFBj4/Sony-A7r2-Leica-2134-pre-asph/i-mvJs5W6/0/75e24780/X5/DSC00157_si-X5.jpg

On 4/14/2021 at 3:00 PM, Knipsknecht said:

Here in Cologne, Germany, this is the moment when the next carnival season will start🥳. If, and only if Covid will be at bay at that time, the whole city will be full of partying folks🍻🤢. A good opportunity to test a new camera😇😅.

Leica Helaoooo !!  🤴🏾💂🏾‍♀️

Edited by robert_parker
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

The no ibis makes me sad, I have tremors and I can manage the q2 . I have tried every trick short to bolting a m camera to my head, I am still a 80 to 90 percent blur rate. I have only rented the q2, If found it in stock that I didn’t have to go through PayPal (really hate PayPal) I would scoop it up in a heartbeat. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cabosdad said:

The no ibis makes me sad, I have tremors and I can manage the q2 . I have tried every trick short to bolting a m camera to my head, I am still a 80 to 90 percent blur rate. I have only rented the q2, If found it in stock that I didn’t have to go through PayPal (really hate PayPal) I would scoop it up in a heartbeat. 

When Henri Cartier Bresson was too old to hold his Leica steady, he declared: Sharpness is a bourgeois concept.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, SrMi said:

When Henri Cartier Bresson was too old to hold his Leica steady, he declared: Sharpness is a bourgeois concept.

If one is going to be a smart-arse - don't forget to include the "smart" part. ;)

Cartier-Bresson may have said that in 1998 - but he was practicing it in his pictures as early as 1932 (age 24).

He is in museums world-wide - R U?

https://collections.artsmia.org/art/37290/hyeres-henri-cartier-bresson

https://www.moma.org/collection/works/49257

3 hours ago, lct said:

SrMi was kidding i guess but a smiley would has been useful for people unfamiliar with the life and the works of HCB :cool:

Actually it was HCB who was kidding, but a smiley should have been part of my post:

“He had his little Leica,” [fashion photographer Helmut] Newton remembers, “and he simply would point and shoot.” Since Cartier-Bresson’s hand isn’t as steady as it used to be, some of the pictures were a bit fuzzy. “Sharpness,” he told Newton, “is a bourgeois concept.” Newton sits back and laughs: “I thought that was just divine.”

– Dana Thomas, Newsweek, 6/1/03

Source

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Much better in context - especially vis-à-vis Newton, know for both "action-fashion" on the go, and also biting sharpness from MF negs that still puts many sensors (with or without IBIS) to shame. Two supreme pros kidding each other.....

;););)

Edited by adan
  • Like 1

If, as rumoured, Leica abandon the removable baseplate with the M11, won't they have to add a door somewhere for the SD card

The removable baseplate always seemed a good way of keeping the lines of the camera clean, and the battery and SD card securely protected from harm. With practice, it's quick and easy to swap out a battery or SD card

A hinged door on an M, I don't know..

• Like 1

M camera without bottom plate would be like a new recipe Coca-Cola. Kidding aside, battery can be incorporated into the bottom like SL or Q models, decent size/capacity for slender M body is different issue if M10 thickness is to be maintained yet provided with good battery for extended shooting and external EVF. It shouldn’t be beyond company capability to develop secure memory card compartment.

• Fang changed the title to Leak image of M11
  • jaapv changed the title to Leica M11 - your next camera? {MERGED}