Leica M11 - your next camera? {MERGED}

Al Brown

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, BlackBarn said:

If you think the M is the way to slow down, focus and frame…..suggest try going out with a pencil, paper, rubber and maybe a stick of charcoal.  The M is a gadget full of bells and whistles by comparison. Bells and whistles simply offer another unique way of engaging visually with the world, regardless wether it’s  a Leica,  Sony or Fuji.  

My choice is the M and I love the way each of my models carry their own character, limitations, imperfections and sense of place and time. I have no need for more characters in my tool kit  ... I’m fairly certain the M11 will bring its own unique character, ability and flaws to the M family along with the  joy, pleasure and some frustration to its new owners.

That resonates with me - it echoes my own thoughts about the M system.  However, I do have a critical need for a black paint M10R.  😊

Regarding "pencil, paper, rubber and maybe a stick of charcoal,"  many of us have no ability in terms of traditional artistic media, which is why we took up photography.  I am in that boat, but I don't regret it.  Photography fulfills my need to create.

At the end of the day, I would say to the world - create art any way you can.  Creating are beats hell out of having a war.

Edited by Herr Barnack
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, michaelbrenner said:

And so I wait with baited breath, eagerly and with hope, for the M11 and M11P.

While having no impact on your excellent post, with which I agree....I'll use this as a "teaching moment." ;)

"baited breath" means you just ate a plate of sushi, or possibly some especially fragrant worms.

"bated breath" means you are holding you breath (your breath is a-bated, or interrupted) in anticipation of some event.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Q. Anyone use their M (digital) for their edc?

I was hoping years ago i could use it as a throw around edc like my film rangefinder but for whatever reason find it too cumbersome. Great for specific photographic outings, but day to day not so imo. Horses for courses though..

Dabbled with the fp and other p & s  but still left wanting...

I think ill give the ricoh gr3x a go. Heresy in this forum but im not a fanboy.

Had leica made a digital minilux with 40mm and manual focus of some sort, or snap focus then it'd probably be my edc. Just a thought

Edited by cboy

36 minutes ago, adan said:

"bated breath" means you are holding you breath (your breath is a-bated, or interrupted) in anticipation of some event.

Indeed, per Shakespeare (Shylock, in Merchant of Venice).  

But don’t be surprised if continual misuse prompts a commonly accepted  alternative dictionary spelling. 

Geoffrey Taylor wrote these clever words in his poem ‘Cruel, Clever Cat’…

Sally, having swallowed cheese,
Directs down holes the scented breeze,
Enticing thus with baited breath
Nice mice to an untimely death.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, adan said:

While having no impact on your excellent post, with which I agree....I'll use this as a "teaching moment." ;)

"baited breath" means you just ate a plate of sushi, or possibly some especially fragrant worms.

whoops(!)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

3 hours ago, Artin said:

Ok yes we know you can take pictures of anything with the M   But what I said if you were doing this for a living   IE.  shooting for sports illustrated or any kind of a sporting event as a hired photographer, you are not going to show up with an M10 and a 90mm Summicron? Let’s get real here 

Not me, anyone who has the courage to try.

5 hours ago, Artin said:

Ok yes we know you can take pictures of anything with the M   But what I said if you were doing this for a living   IE.  shooting for sports illustrated or any kind of a sporting event as a hired photographer, you are not going to show up with an M10 and a 90mm Summicron? Let’s get real here 

Nope - a 135 TE on a MM1. ;)

Cropped (thanks to the resolution of both camera and lens) to about 400mm equivalent. (click to enlarge). 2.6 Mpixels - or exactly the same as pro shooters got out of their Nikon D1Hs.

A hypothetical M11 60Mpixel cropped the same would be about 6 Mpixels - bit more than a D1X; about the same as a D100.

Hired? Yes, with myself as the client. But 25 years working for newspapers has instilled in me the pro habits - never come back without a picture, know the sport(s), watch the game flow, be prepared.

And as you said earlier - expect good photographs to be hard work, not "relaxation."

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by adan
  • Like 8

https://leicarumors.com/2021/10/23/first-leaked-picture-of-the-leica-m11-camera.aspx/?fbclid=IwAR1I0USpkas_aJljUU9KP2Z-0bbTrIFNVKj1yTgDl9205m_VGXfKMaAhkvc

Did anyone see the leaked photo of the M11? I assume the button would be for cropping with @Steven's hint. 

Looks like iso starts at 64 ! 

Edited by Ktsa5239
  • Like 2

Look at Steve's thumb nail in the picture from the 35 APO thread. Very similar to the hand holding the M11, isn't it? 😉

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

12 minutes ago, Artin said:

Yes my first request looks like is coming true base ISO. Is 64.  

W-eee-ll, the lowest ISO on the M10 dial is 100 - but it is a "pull," not the "true base ISO." And subject to more risk of blown highlights.

But we shall see. I don't object to lower ISOs - so long as they don't compromise higher usable ISOs as well.

8 minutes ago, adan said:

W-eee-ll, the lowest ISO on the M10 dial is 100 - but it is a "pull," not the "true base ISO." And subject to more risk of blown highlights.

But we shall see. I don't object to lower ISOs - so long as they don't compromise higher usable ISOs as well.

I doubt Leica will make the same "mistake" again. Many felt cheated by the almost useless ISO 100 on the M10. Now I hope they serve us a real ISO 64!

5 minutes ago, evikne said:

I doubt Leica will make the same "mistake" again. Many felt cheated by the almost useless ISO 100 on the M10. Now I hope they serve us a real ISO 64!

Oh, I don't know. According to some, "Leica has made the same mistake" across five cameras since 2006 - i.e. not including a built-in EVF. ;)

It just depends on who gets to define what a "mistake" is.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, AndreasG said:

Are you sure? For me, thumb nails look all the same like cloned sheep. The right photo in #2328 does not show sufficient detail to come to your conclusion I think.

They come in many varieties. I immediately recognized the slightly long, flat nail and the smooth skin. And how many people are there who have this opportunity for close contact with a future camera model?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, beewee said:

The extra button next to shutter reminds me of the M240. I wonder if video is back?

It is NOT.

2 hours ago, Artin said:

Yes my first request looks like is coming true base ISO. Is 64.  

For me too. My second feature request for a Shutter speed of 1/8000th, however..... unlesss ???? 

• Like 3

• Fang changed the title to Leak image of M11
  • jaapv changed the title to Leica M11 - your next camera? {MERGED}