Jump to content

Leica M11 - your next camera?


Recommended Posts

Advertisement (gone after registration)

8 hours ago, Herr Barnack said:

 @Steven    The Black Cat will give you the correct exposure for low light and overly bright scenes that a conventional light meter may not be able to read.  It lists scores of different scenes and assigns a letter of the alphabet for it.  Example:  Neon signs = H; Night Clubs w/dim lighting = O; Moonlit landscape w/full moon = S; Christmas trees, outside at night w/lights = K.

On the front of the Black Cat, there is a circular slide rule type device.  You align the letter for your scene with the ISO you want to use, and you align the triangular part with the aperture you want to use.  The triangular part has a window which then shows the shutter speed you need to use.

Example:  Night Clubs w/dim lighting = O.  Align your chosen ISO (in this case I will use ISO 800) with the letter O.  If you want to use a shutter speed of 1 second (the shutter speed I'm using for this example), the outer ring tells you that f/5.6 is the aperture you want to use for a correct exposure (zone V).  It shows zone IV (-1EV) as needing a 1/2 second exposure.  The exposure scale (the triangular part) gives you the correct shutter speed for everything from zone I (-4EV) to zone IX (+4EV) for bracketing purposes.

I have had a Black Cat since 1997 and it's a good tool to have at hand for scenes that have extremely low or bright lighting and for scenes  that are difficult to meter for such as fireworks displays or outdoor Christmas trees with lights at night.  The Black Cat can also be a lifesaver when shooting film in extreme lighting situations.

Hope this helps...

Thank you so much for this. Just ordered one. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Since @bags27  isn't able to post pictures from his dp-Merrills, here are a couple from my Sigma SD-14 with a Foveon-3 sensor to show why I, too, have always liked the Foveon sensors.  The SD-14 has had its Sigma lens mount replaced with a Leica R-mount and I took these two shots with my 60/2.8 Macro-Elmarit-R . Pete. Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden!   Hello guest!

Another unofficial factoid:  The price will be €111,121. 😳

True. A very good friend of mine has been field testing the M11 for several months and has just given me permission to post this photo of the prototype in his possession. It's got a 400MP sensor. Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden!

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Artin said:

My favourites are the ones that keep telling us how great the Sony, and Fuji systems are. I really don’t understand the comparison. I don’t want a gadget full of bells and whistles , I don’t care about auto focus , I have no use for GPS and wifi , I really have no use for 8k Video. 20 page menus. And lenses that are the size of bazookas. And I can not stand lenses that are fly by the wire. But most of all I really get jacked when somebody starts telling us about how great their I phone is as a Camera.  If you don’t want to slow down and enjoy the Art of photography, learn to use the equipment you have, and just want to press a button and take 20 frames a second of your dog running around in the back yard then the M system is not for you. Wildlife and sports photography, the M system is not for you. Paparazzi ? Not for you . You want to slow down , focus , frame , select your aperture shutter speed and walk around with just a few pounds of gear all day long and not come home with a backache.. hey welcome to the M 

Well said! You have distilled the essence of why we love our M cameras. I started with the M over 50 years ago, and I’m still using it.

Of course, I had my dalliances with the R system, Nikon both film and digital, Hasselblad, Sony Alpha and Fuji. The M is the one constant. Horses for courses, of course!

Of course, I can also blame the M for my love of Leica, which has become a life long obsession. First, as a teenage photo geek, Leica counter salesperson at 16, and eventually a Leica dealer with my dad. Became a major Leica collector. Joined the LHSA in my late 20’s. Became the VP and then President. Editor of the Viewfinder since 2000. Worked with Leica on the Special Edition cameras and lenses. And now leading Leica tours to Wetzlar in my spare time. And made scores of wonderful friends! A wonderful obsession!

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Artin said:

My favourites are the ones that keep telling us how great the Sony, and Fuji systems are. I really don’t understand the comparison. I don’t want a gadget full of bells and whistles , I don’t care about auto focus , I have no use for GPS and wifi , I really have no use for 8k Video. 20 page menus. And lenses that are the size of bazookas. And I can not stand lenses that are fly by the wire. But most of all I really get jacked when somebody starts telling us about how great their I phone is as a Camera.  If you don’t want to slow down and enjoy the Art of photography, learn to use the equipment you have, and just want to press a button and take 20 frames a second of your dog running around in the back yard then the M system is not for you. Wildlife and sports photography, the M system is not for you. Paparazzi ? Not for you . You want to slow down , focus , frame , select your aperture shutter speed and walk around with just a few pounds of gear all day long and not come home with a backache.. hey welcome to the M 

I guess the M was not for Cartier-Bresson either, then. The guy should have slowed down, cut down on the number of shots he took in five minutes - he might have made a better name for himself.😉

Seriously, it's worth watching the videos of him in action and looking at his contact sheets to get a better idea of how other people work at speed with the M.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, LocalHero1953 said:

I guess the M was not for Cartier-Bresson either, then. The guy should have slowed down, cut down on the number of shots he took in five minutes - he might have made a better name for himself.😉

Seriously, it's worth watching the videos of him in action and looking at his contact sheets to get a better idea of how other people work at speed with the M.

Indeed. Digital Ms have become so sluggish that some people believe slowness is part of the Leica ethos nowadays. The same people prefer a 60MP (?) sensor to instant startup times i guess...

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, lct said:

Indeed. Digital Ms have become so sluggish that some people believe slowness is part of the Leica ethos nowadays. The same people prefer a 60MP (?) sensor to instant startup times i guess...

 

 

There is no way on this earth you can be that naïve.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, lct said:

Indeed. Digital Ms have become so sluggish that some people believe slowness is part of the Leica ethos nowadays. The same people prefer a 60MP (?) sensor to instant startup times i guess...

 

 

That video doesn't show much action - I've seen others where he is moving faster and shooting more frequently. His contact sheets confirm this.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Yep, I always shoot at a snail's pace with my M's.... can we lose that old canard already? If anything the M is quicker than any other cameras I've used (just not the start up). 

M9, 18mm Elmar: 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, derleicaman said:

Well said! You have distilled the essence of why we love our M cameras. I started with the M over 50 years ago, and I’m still using it.

Of course, I had my dalliances with the R system, Nikon both film and digital, Hasselblad, Sony Alpha and Fuji. The M is the one constant. Horses for courses, of course!

Of course, I can also blame the M for my love of Leica, which has become a life long obsession. First, as a teenage photo geek, Leica counter salesperson at 16, and eventually a Leica dealer with my dad. Became a major Leica collector. Joined the LHSA in my late 20’s. Became the VP and then President. Editor of the Viewfinder since 2000. Worked with Leica on the Special Edition cameras and lenses. And now leading Leica tours to Wetzlar in my spare time. And made scores of wonderful friends! A wonderful obsession!

And I'm sure much more to come ! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LocalHero1953 said:

I guess the M was not for Cartier-Bresson either, then. The guy should have slowed down, cut down on the number of shots he took in five minutes - he might have made a better name for himself.😉

Seriously, it's worth watching the videos of him in action and looking at his contact sheets to get a better idea of how other people work at speed with the M.

No the Leica M was perfect for him because he did not wish for 25000 ISO film or a camera that could fire 30 frames a second he did not not need GPS  he did not need 18-300 mm zoom 

He was a Photographer that relied on his skills knowledge for his images.

and by the way that video or any other that I have watched, I really do not see him sweating it out, If you think walking around in a Paris street with a 3 piece suit taking pictures of people buying groceries is hard work with a Leica M, try covering a civil War in Beirut....  

Edited by Artin
Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, charlesphoto99 said:

Yep, I always shoot at a snail's pace with my M's.... can we lose that old canard already? If anything the M is quicker than any other cameras I've used (just not the start up)...

Hi Charles - Yes, I'm always amazed by the posts in which some M-users say that their M's are too slow for photographing their "fast as lightening grandchildren", for which they "need" autofocus. Never mind that autofocus can have it's own issue on what it focus on in close-up shots.

My interest is in having a camera that I can shoot one-handed, which I can manage with the M-10 — but the for which the Ricoh GR III/GR IIIx are extremely suitable.
_______________________________________
Frog Leaping photobook and Instagram

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Artin said:

My favourites are the ones that keep telling us how great the Sony, and Fuji systems are. I really don’t understand the comparison. I don’t want a gadget full of bells and whistles , I don’t care about auto focus , I have no use for GPS and wifi , I really have no use for 8k Video. 20 page menus. And lenses that are the size of bazookas. And I can not stand lenses that are fly by the wire. But most of all I really get jacked when somebody starts telling us about how great their I phone is as a Camera.  If you don’t want to slow down and enjoy the Art of photography, learn to use the equipment you have, and just want to press a button and take 20 frames a second of your dog running around in the back yard then the M system is not for you. Wildlife and sports photography, the M system is not for you. Paparazzi ? Not for you . You want to slow down , focus , frame , select your aperture shutter speed and walk around with just a few pounds of gear all day long and not come home with a backache.. hey welcome to the M 

@Artin I couldn't agree more - you nailed it.

Quote

...[Henri Cartier-Bresson] was a Photographer that relied on his skills knowledge and worked hard for his images. Hence my point. 

Bull's eye.

Every photographer I know that has had any level of success has worked to the point of exhaustion for their images - and done it it more times than they can count. There's no way around it, there's no substitute for it.  Obsession, persistence and plain old working your ass off gets results. Anything less gets you less. 

As for those who claim the M10R is turning out "garbage" - that is the most comically childish/ignorant statement I have read in a while.  It made me laugh out loud.  😅

 

Edited by Herr Barnack
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Herr Barnack said:

...As for those who claim the M10R is turning out "garbage" - that is the most comically childish/ignorant statement I have read in a while.  It made me laugh out loud.  😅

You're misrepresenting what @Steven wrote. He already responded on page 110 that he was only referring to lowlight performance — but never mind, this is only the internet.
_______________________________________
Frog Leaping photobook and Instagram

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Nowhereman said:

You're misrepresenting what @Steven wrote. He already responded on page 110 that he was only referring to lowlight performance — but never mind, this is only the internet.
_______________________________________
Frog Leaping photobook and Instagram

Less than stellar low light performance is one thing and Steven does make a valid observation about that;  my Q2 has the same issue.  Having ISO 50,000 available doesn't mean much if you need to stay around ISO 6400 or lower to keep noise in check. 

What I was referring to is other posters who run down the M10R that I have read on this website in the past.

Edited by Herr Barnack
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Herr Barnack said:

Less than stellar low light performance is one thing and Steven does make a valid observation about that;  my Q2 has the same issue.  Having ISO 50,000 available doesn't mean much if you need to stay around ISO 5000 to keep noise in check.  What I was referring to is other posters who run down the M10R that I have read on this website in the past.

Note that Q2, similar to SL2, has worse low-light performance (noise in shadows) than M10-R or SL2-S (according to my tests and available measurements).

Link to post
Share on other sites

my god have we ever turned into a spoiled bunch , Imagine during film days ISO 400 was already to grainy , If you wanted to sell your images to a stock agency or were by any chance hired by an Ad agency for some commercial work, you had to get the work done by Kodakchrome 64 or Fuji Valvia to get images good enough to keep your foot in the door and make a buck..How the heck did we ever get anything done. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Artin said:

my god have we ever turned into a spoiled bunch , Imagine during film days ISO 400 was already to grainy , If you wanted to sell your images to a stock agency or were by any chance hired by an Ad agency for some commercial work, you had to get the work done by Kodakchrome 64 or Fuji Valvia to get images good enough to keep your foot in the door and make a buck..How the heck did we ever get anything done. 

It’s a great point. I keep telling myself I ‘can’t do’ landscape photography with my M10-P.  I need my Nikon Z, my filter kit for long exposures and my zoom lenses.  

I’ve recently picked up one of Brian Bowers books lined with pages of photographs shot on a variety of film M cameras.  I keep looking at the photographs he’s taken with a couple of different prime lenses and think yeah, course it’s do-able.
 

It’s me that’s the issue not the camera 😂

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Nowhereman said:

Hi Charles - Yes, I'm always amazed by the posts in which some M-users say that their M's are too slow for photographing their "fast as lightening grandchildren", for which they "need" autofocus. Never mind that autofocus can have it's own issue on what it focus on in close-up shots.

My interest is in having a camera that I can shoot one-handed, which I can manage with the M-10 — but the for which the Ricoh GR III/GR IIIx are extremely suitable.
_______________________________________
Frog Leaping photobook and Instagram

And FTR, I wasn't looking through the viewfinder when I took that. Out of the corner of my eye I saw Mike do a little skip and then I swooped the M9 down to my side and pointed it up for one shot (it's about 75% of the full frame). It just takes years and years and years of practice, and blessed with the ability to be quick. My karate teacher once said, while telling me to slow down during sparring, that I was very quick for my age (57). And I replied, of course, that's what I've been doing for a living my whole life. My philosophy has always been take the picture, release the shutter, no matter what. Don't worry  if your settings aren't perfect or the focus not set, the parallax wrong. That stuff will come with practice, and most exposure mistakes can be fixed to a degree, and can even sometimes add to the character of the image.

I think in general it behooves one to become looser,  which is really the M ethos imo, or at least it always has been to me. Embrace the accidents that can occur solely because of your choice in a camera sans a mirror, and focus on the moments. Embrace the technical limitiations and then break through them with ingenuity vs waiting for the next best thing to do it for you. The M11 will be a fantastic camera no doubt about it, but what you now have in your hand, of any M generation, is far from broken. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd like to withdraw the comment about the M10R's low light performance being garbage. I understand that it might have been too harsh, that it offended some who didn't understand/share my feeling, and that is in fact it was not constructive in the conversation. 

So what I meant is that by today's standard, I am not satisfied at all with the performance of my M10R in low light, and I am strongly convinced that unlike what some say, there is a very big room for improvement in the M11. 

One more thing to add: people kept commenting on the grain of the M10R at high ISO. But the truth is that it's not the grain that bothers me. Actually, I find it quite nice. What bothers me a lot is the colours. I think they start shifting to yellow/green very fast, and the image doesn't please me anymore. This is why I end converting to black and white. It doesnt mask the grain. It masks the color. 

To be even clearer, here are the ISO levels that I am confirmable with as far as my Leica digital cameras are concerned:

- On my Q2, I am confortable shooting at ISO 800. In case of an emergency, I'll go up to 1600. Beyond that, it's unacceptable to me. 

- On my M10R, I am confortable shooting at ISO 1600. In case of an emergency, I'll go up to 3200. Beyond that, it's unacceptable to me. 

- On my SL2-S, I am confortable shooting at ISO 12500. In case of an emergency, I'll go up to 2500. Beyond that, it's actually still acceptable to me.

So yes, once again, there is room for improvement as far as low light in concerned. The M10R is not garbage, but it's not the SL2S. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, erniethemilk said:

It’s a great point. I keep telling myself I ‘can’t do’ landscape photography with my M10-P.  I need my Nikon Z, my filter kit for long exposures and my zoom lenses.  

I’ve recently picked up one of Brian Bowers books lined with pages of photographs shot on a variety of film M cameras.  I keep looking at the photographs he’s taken with a couple of different prime lenses and think yeah, course it’s do-able.
 

It’s me that’s the issue not the camera 😂

I'm sorry, but I don't think it's a great point. I never understood why if something was possible a hundred years ago mean we can't wish for progress. A hundred years ago, we could drive across our countries by car. Today, we can do it ten times faster, with AC and surround music blasting. I prefer. One day, my kids might be able to do it without holding the steering wheel, and no need to stop at the gas station. Even better. 

The point is, of course I can shoot a landscape at night at 400 ISO. Doesn't mean I can't wish for 2,8 Million ISO. The photography of before is not the same as today. Embrace progress, don't settle for mediocre, be opened to new possibilities.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Artin said:

My favourites are the ones that keep telling us how great the Sony ..... systems are. I really don’t understand the comparison.

If you read the post 2177 which says that the live view can be used on the M, then you are no longer discussing the rangefinder operation and using an M as an EVF camera which obviously invites comparisons. The M is IMO a quite simply best at being what it fundamentally is - a rangefinder. Adding functions to it will always be a compromise because it simply cannot compete with other cameras inherently designed to provide a plethora of functions (whether you like or want to use them or not). Much better to leave the M alone as a unique high quality rangefinder and not try to make it compete, or draw comparisons, with other cameras.

Edited by pgk
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...