Leica M11 - your next camera? {MERGED}

Al Brown

2 hours ago, Steven said:

The M has frame lines. And it has a new evf that is going to be the star of the show. 
and it has a buffer that’s improved  and could handle ….. I don’t know …. Maybe AI ? ….. like an iPhone that fakes perspective and dof at the press of a button ….. no. What am I saying. They wouldn’t do this to us M shooters. How could they dare. That would be too polarizing.  

I do believe computational photography is the future. Software is eating the world, and photography is in many ways the ideal field to unleash that… With Luminar Bokeh AI (or whatever it’s called) you don’t even need fast lenses anymore for shallow DOF. But I didn’t think Leica would be the one to push that forward, though I may be wrong…

• Thanks 1

vor 9 Stunden schrieb MrFriendly:

Overall, i'm not impressed with all the leaked information.  There is nothing innovative about M11.  Leica is just playing the mega-pixel game and milking for profit.

vor 9 Stunden schrieb Steven:

Then it’s going to be really bad. Sorry to disappoint. But as I said, very polarizing. Think q2, software wise. 
There is one good news though. The colors are going to be special. 

This is the problem with leaking: We judge without having seen the camera or working with it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Steven said:

If I was into leica for the APO lenses, I wouldn’t be into leica. I think that the canon 50 1.2 is much better lens than the 50 APO M, and it has not much to envy from the 50 APO sL. 
but I’m into leica for lenses with character, which canon can do too, but with much less options. 

Very interesting. When i had my M240 and M 50 Summicron v5, I kept wishing the output looked more “film-like”. I went down a rabbit hole of getting the M 50 APO, hoping its microcontrast would add more depth to the images, but for my eyes I merely got a look (ie, very high acuity, and higher macro contrast) that was even further from my target of something more gentle and film-like! 😳

Hence why I’m curious, in the 50mm bracket, which lenses “with character” that you especially like when paired with a digital sensor, and if you find they help provide a more gentle look on digital?

Edited by Jon Warwick

10 hours ago, bags27 said:

Well, Leica has put a lot of work into phone photography, right? 

Not really, but Peter Karbe does speak about mobile phone photography on occasion. He still proudly uses the Huawei P9 for which he and his team developed the tiny Leica Summarit H 1:2.2/27 ASPH lens - if memory serves me well Leica had 5.6mm space to squeeze the tiny 7-element lens inside.

24 minutes ago, Jon Warwick said:

Very interesting. When i had my M240 and M 50 Summicron v5, I kept wishing the output looked more “film-like”. I went down a rabbit hole of getting the M 50 APO, hoping its microcontrast would add more depth to the images, but for my eyes I merely got a look (ie, very high acuity, and higher macro contrast) that was even further from my target of something more gentle and film-like! 😳

Hence why I’m curious, in the 50mm bracket, which lenses “with character” that you especially like when paired with a digital sensor, and if you find they help provide a more gentle look on digital?

"film look" or a more organic look is usually related to imperfections introduced by the lenses of the old era. Going APO will be inevitably lead you further away from achieving that look. Maybe try to put some film simulation preset in the post with added de-sharpening, I found it quite helpful. Also, I find I can achieve the result better with the Fujifilm GFX or Hasselblad X1D medium format sensor due to the greater latitude of adjustment you can do with colors and such.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, JimmyCheng said:

Also, I find I can achieve the result better with the Fujifilm GFX or Hasselblad X1D medium format sensor due to the greater latitude of adjustment you can do with colors and such.

There is the 35mm film look and there is the 120 film look. The latter is more yummy, IMHO. And then there is the large format film look...

Just now, Al Brown said:

There is the 35mm film look and there is the 120 film look. The latter is more yummy, IMHO. And then there is the large format film look...

ah, indeed. We shall not go down that rabbit hole though. That's why I shoot both 35mm in film/digital and 120mm in film/digital. Each has its own charm (sometimes I might even find the mamiya7 shot too be a touch too digital because of the perceived sharpness, which should be a good thing)

14 hours ago, M10 for me said:

I just come back from an event shooting with the EOS R5. Ups, what a difference to former EOS 5 models (I still have the Mk II, III and IV) and of course to the M10! And what upsets me most: The R5 body with a 35mm 1.8 or a 50mm 1.8 is the same weight as my M10 plus lens (of course these are no L lenses but they are excellent). Probably Leica has to buy a few very warm jumpers for the next season. With my experience I think that my next Leica M 10 is still the M10. Why change? The M11 would have to make such a big jump.

A Sony A7 with a 35/1.8 is equally light/excellent at delivering good images. I am quite sure that all the current cameras from the major makers are very 'fit for purpose'. I don't think that there is any point in trying to quantify which is 'better' because they are all good and no doubt all offer slight differences in order to appeal to people with slightly different tastes. If anything Leica needs to keep at a distance with a distinctly different design and approach. Evolving the M and converging towards other offerings will (as has been recently shown in other threads) soon start price and 'value for money' comparisons, which are becoming harder to justify when there is little translation into significant image output differences.

• Like 1

vor einer Stunde schrieb pgk:

A Sony A7 with a 35/1.8 is equally light/excellent at delivering good images. I am quite sure that all the current cameras from the major makers are very 'fit for purpose'. I don't think that there is any point in trying to quantify which is 'better' because they are all good and no doubt all offer slight differences in order to appeal to people with slightly different tastes. If anything Leica needs to keep at a distance with a distinctly different design and approach. Evolving the M and converging towards other offerings will (as has been recently shown in other threads) soon start price and 'value for money' comparisons, which are becoming harder to justify when there is little translation into significant image output differences.

I agree with that. The M has to remain the MESSSUCHER. That is its exclusive USP. And according to what has leaked it will remain that.

I am very much interested in the coming M11 but the M is always my light and beautiful and high quality and high image quality camera. Not my workhorse. 

• Fang changed the title to Leak image of M11
  • jaapv changed the title to Leica M11 - your next camera? {MERGED}