Leica M11 - your next camera? {MERGED}

Al Brown

I just come back from an event shooting with the EOS R5. Ups, what a difference to former EOS 5 models (I still have the Mk II, III and IV) and of course to the M10! And what upsets me most: The R5 body with a 35mm 1.8 or a 50mm 1.8 is the same weight as my M10 plus lens (of course these are no L lenses but they are excellent). Probably Leica has to buy a few very warm jumpers for the next season. With my experience I think that my next Leica M 10 is still the M10. Why change? The M11 would have to make such a big jump.

Sorry I am just under the influence of such a great experience with Canon R5.

4 minutes ago, M10 for me said:

I just come back from an event shooting with the EOS R5. Ups, what a difference to former EOS 5 models (I still have the Mk II, III and IV) and of course to the M10! And what upsets me most: The R5 body with a 35mm 1.8 or a 50mm 1.8 is the same weight as my M10 plus lens (of course these are no L lenses but they are excellent). Probably Leica has to buy a few very warm jumpers for the next season. With my experience I think that my next Leica M 10 is still the M10. Why change? The M11 would have to make such a big jump.

Canon? What’s that? Never heard about.

6 minutes ago, M10 for me said:

If I was into leica for the APO lenses, I wouldn’t be into leica. I think that the canon 50 1.2 is much better lens than the 50 APO M, and it has not much to envy from the 50 APO sL. 
but I’m into leica for lenses with character, which canon can do too, but with much less options. 

i also think that the raw files from leica are much more pleasing and malleable than canon. It makes me years to edit a canon file into something I like. 

the leica premium feel is also a big part of why I prefer it over canon and Sony. 

• Like 1

vor 19 Minuten schrieb Steven:

i also think that the raw files from leica are much more pleasing and malleable than canon. It makes me years to edit a canon file into something I like. 

Hm, did you try a CR3 file from an R5 in Lightroom? Its far away from the M10. So much easier.

But to make it clear: By no means i want to start bashing the M10. But since I have the R5 I see what the world looks like. On the other hand the R5 is a complex tool that I need for my assignements and I never was of the opinion that I can do everything with the M10. I always used Canon. I am just so thrilled about the new technology of the R5. I do not speak about an RF 50mm f/1.2 or an 28-70mm f/2.0. These make the system very heavy and I look forward to come back to my M10. I will stay with my M10. No doubt.

Edited by M10 for me

21 minutes ago, M10 for me said:

Hm, did you try a CR3 file from an R5 in Lightroom? Its far away from the M10. So much easier.

But to make it clear: By no means i want to start bashing the M10. But since I have the R5 I see what the world looks like. On the other hand the R5 is a complex tool that I need for my assignements and I never was of the opinion that I can do everything with the M10. I always used Canon. I am just so thrilled about the new technology of the R5. I do not speak about an RF 50mm f/1.2 or an 28-70mm f/2.0. These make the system very heavy and I look forward to come back to my M10. I will stay with my M10. No doubt.

I hate cr3 files. And anyway, the r5 doesn’t compare to the M10 to me. It compared to the SL2/S, which produce much nicer and easier photo files to me. And for video, which I need, comparing my SL2S to the R5 would be an insult to the SL2S. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

vor 9 Minuten schrieb Steven:

I hate cr3 files. And anyway, the r5 doesn’t compare to the M10 to me. It compared to the SL2/S, which produce much nicer and easier photo files to me. And for video, which I need, comparing my SL2S to the R5 would be an insult to the SL2S. 

Great that there are different views. I appreciate your post. I must say that video is not my thing at all so i can not discuss this with you 😀.

Its certainly not about Canon here. But an SL can never compete with the technology of Canon in terms of sensor and auto focus (including RF lenses). Sony and Canon have it.

Edited by M10 for me

6 hours ago, Yarosuav said:

One thing I’m trying to understand is the sensor that will apparently offer three different resolutions in RAW.

How is this going to be implemented? Because physically the sensor will have 60 million photosites  (if it’s a 60MP sensor), so in the lower resolution modes, will it deactivate some of those photosites? Or will it combine information from neighboring photosites to generate a lower resolution RAW file? If set to lower resolution, will it offer better noise handling than full resolution mode?

Other than smaller file size, I don’t really see an advantage to lower resolution RAW modes, unless it offers some actual benefits of a smaller resolution sensor (such as lower noise).

What am I missing? 

Just a guess, with a 60MP sensor, one of the modes could be an equivalent of 15MP output with 4 samples per pixel (a.k.a super sampling), and in theory this would produce higher quality output than a native 15MP sensor (with 1 sample per pixel).  But, what would be the point?  We can already do this on the desktop computers without draining the precious battery.

If, on the other hand, it's some kind of crop mode, where a 50mm becomes a 75mm, then that would be really bad.  

Overall, i'm not impressed with all the leaked information.  There is nothing innovative about M11.  Leica is just playing the mega-pixel game and milking for profit.

Just now, MrFriendly said:

Just a guess, with a 60MP sensor, one of the modes could be an equivalent of 15MP output with 4 samples per pixel (a.k.a super sampling), and in theory this would produce higher quality output than a native 15MP sensor (with 1 sample per pixel).  But, what would be the point?  We can already do this on the desktop computers without draining the precious battery.

If, on the other hand, it's some kind of crop mode, where a 50mm becomes a 75mm, then that would be really bad.  

Overall, i'm not impressed with all the leaked information.  There is nothing innovative about M11.  Leica is just playing the mega-pixel game and milking for profit.

Then it’s going to be really bad. Sorry to disappoint. But as I said, very polarizing. Think q2, software wise. 
There is one good news though. The colors are going to be special. 

25 minutes ago, Steven said:

Then it’s going to be really bad. Sorry to disappoint. But as I said, very polarizing. Think q2, software wise. 

But Q2 has an evf for that kinda cropping, sounds like on the M it would just be an enlarged photo at preview.....

3 minutes ago, Ktsa5239 said:

But Q2 has an evf for that kinda cropping, sounds like on the M it would just be an enlarged photo at preview.....

The M has frame lines. And it has a new evf that is going to be the star of the show. 
and it has a buffer that’s improved  and could handle ….. I don’t know …. Maybe AI ? ….. like an iPhone that fakes perspective and dof at the press of a button ….. no. What am I saying. They wouldn’t do this to us M shooters. How could they dare. That would be too polarizing.  

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Steven said:

The M has frame lines. And it has a new evf that is going to be the star of the show. 
and it has a buffer that’s improved  and could handle ….. I don’t know …. Maybe AI ? ….. like an iPhone that fakes perspective and dof at the press of a button ….. no. What am I saying. They wouldn’t do this to us M shooters. How could they dare. That would be too polarizing.  

this is getting stranger by the minute..... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steven said:

I went back to film when I got tired of digital colors. That's unfair, of course. Foveon, Leica S, and Hasselblad colors (very different from one another) are quite beautiful to me. But if the M11 can do something that appeals, I'm likely a buyer.

And I agree about lenses with character. I've got  older (LTM) Leica lenses & single-coated Voigtlanders that I usually prefer over my contemporary ASPH lenses when I do use the M10.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Steven said:

Well, Leica has put a lot of work into phone photography, right? 

35 minutes ago, bags27 said:

I went back to film when I got tired of digital colors. That's unfair, of course. Foveon, Leica S, and Hasselblad colors (very different from one another) are quite beautiful to me. But if the M11 can do something that appeals, I'm likely a buyer.

And I agree about lenses with character. I've got  older (LTM) Leica lenses & single-coated Voigtlanders that I usually prefer over my contemporary ASPH lenses when I do use the M10.

Did you like the M9? You will like the M11. 

• Fang changed the title to Leak image of M11
  • jaapv changed the title to Leica M11 - your next camera? {MERGED}