Leica M11 - your next camera? {MERGED}

Al Brown

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, Steven said:

There’s a 19 pages breaking news thread were everything I’ve ever written has always been true. I announced the sl2s, the 24-70 SL, the 35APO with release date, the m11, the M6, the M10Rbp, etc… weeks before everyone else. That should act as a track record, no ? 

Anyway. You don’t have to believe me 😆 

Future will show us. But even then, appearantly there might be an information leak in the Leica organisation. 

16 minutes ago, Gobert said:

Future will show us. But even then, appearantly there might be an information leak in the Leica organisation. 

Let’s be sensible about leaks, in works in Leica favour as it increases anticipation. Age of old trade shows with big public announcement is fading away, internet and social media are the tools of today.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, sinjun said:

Is there any confirmation that the M11 EVF is backward-compatible with M10?

I don't know. Sorry. 

22 minutes ago, mmradman said:

Let’s be sensible about leaks, in works in Leica favour as it increases anticipation. Age of old trade shows with big public announcement is fading away, internet and social media are the tools of today.

Of course. Even Apple leaks their own stuff. Basic of marketing. You think there's not Leica employee reading my "Breaking news" thread ?! They love it.... 

One thing I’m trying to understand is the sensor that will apparently offer three different resolutions in RAW.

How is this going to be implemented? Because physically the sensor will have 60 million photosites  (if it’s a 60MP sensor), so in the lower resolution modes, will it deactivate some of those photosites? Or will it combine information from neighboring photosites to generate a lower resolution RAW file? If set to lower resolution, will it offer better noise handling than full resolution mode?

Other than smaller file size, I don’t really see an advantage to lower resolution RAW modes, unless it offers some actual benefits of a smaller resolution sensor (such as lower noise).

What am I missing? 

We can speculate only. We don´t konow the technique of the sensor (if it has really 60 MP). But many of us don´t want large files for every photo: You need large Sd-cards, more storage space and better computers. So it would make sense to me if Leica offers different resolutions only for different file sizes.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

2 hours ago, Steven said:

Of course. Even Apple leaks their own stuff. Basic of marketing. You think there's not Leica employee reading my "Breaking news" thread ?! They love it.... 

Ironically, Peter, who runs the Leica Rumors site, hasn’t caught on to your posts or track record. Not sure he cares about accuracy anyway… even though he has a tip line…probably more about clicks.

Jeff

48 minutes ago, Yarosuav said:

Other than smaller file size, I don’t really see an advantage to lower resolution RAW modes, unless it offers some actual benefits of a smaller resolution sensor (such as lower noise).

What am I missing?

APS mode with electronic frame lines.This way a 50/1.4 could become a compact 75/1.4 with still a comfortable pixel count. Just a guess.

1 hour ago, Yarosuav said:

Or will it combine information from neighboring photosites to generate a lower resolution RAW file?

As mentioned previously on this thread, Canon has been providing the option of "reduced raw" (sRAW, mRAW) files for a decade or so. Full-frame capture, no cropping, but "downsampled" resolution.

It is not pixel-binning as such. It is just basic downsampling, more or less the way we reduce picture pixel counts here to fit the Forum limits and display 40Mp images as 2-4Mpixel images.

The problem being that if a color Bayer array is making one pixel red-sensitive, and the next one green sensitive, there's no way to "bin" neighboring pixels and retain separate color data. You are mixing the red, green and blue together before creating the raw or .DNG file. In effect, Canon is processing the image to a near-jpeg, and then reprocessing that into a format tagged as Raw.

That tends to degrade the ability to, for example, change the White Balance cleanly in post-processing. At least in Canon's method.

Better algorithms (math) can help, but we don't know if, or how, that is what Leica is doing (yet).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Steven said:

This is where it gets bad, in my opinion. At the least, polarising. 

So, it comes with 3 separate sensors in a box, and you have to manually switch the sensors? 😀

If it is polarizing, perhaps in 5 years we'll look back on the 11 as transitionary technology....that the M12 is the camera that works out the problems of the M11 and really sets the M in a new direction.

Edited by bags27
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Steven said:

I’m 100% with you on this. I never understood people who complained about file sizes. That seems to me to be a bit stubborn. 

Steven--

I just checked out your Instagram site: you're a wonderful photographer!