Leica M11 - your next camera? {MERGED}

Al Brown

51 minutes ago, SrMi said:

I see. Yes, Q2 has a purely electronic shutter, though I never use it. From the somewhat chaotic Youtube video that you shared, it was not clear to me that you were referring to the electronic shutter. 

A silent shutter means a shutter that is not loud, in my book. Some manufacturers use the term "silent shutter" to denote an electronic shutter. When Leica talks about "Silent Photography" (Q2 manual) they mean photography without any acoustic signals :).

I thought silent means noiseless. My English is worse and worse sorry.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

11 hours ago, jankap said:

1. and 4. exclude each other.

2. with lcd or evf only (see new M-lens) The mechanics inside the camera are limited.

3. silent shutter with M?

1 and 4 may not be mutually exclusive if we can remove existing curtain shutter mechanism

Regarding 2, I am pretty certain in one of the recent Peter Karbe interview, he stated that it is possible to have a closer focusing RF. Of course mechanical design will need to be extended.

Regarding 3, I meant global electronic shutter which implied silent shutter. But I wasn’t clear. If we have global electronic shutter, i think it will make space for many other components. 

On 4/14/2021 at 10:12 AM, Herr Barnack said:

Another unofficial factoid:  The price will be €111,121. 😳

I hope that’s comma is a German decimal representation.  In which case I’d even be happy to round up the trailing 1 up to be 111.13 ! 

3 hours ago, vikasmg said:

I hope that’s comma is a German decimal representation.  In which case I’d even be happy to round up the trailing 1 up to be 111.13 ! 

That comma is decidedly not a decimal point. 

Those who wish to own an M11 will have to not only ebay a kidney - but also a kidney from each of their four or five closest friends, depending on fair market value for a good used kidney at the time of the M11's arrival.

Edited by Herr Barnack
  • Haha 3

16 hours ago, lct said:

Sounds interesting indeed. As fas as rangefinders are concerned, the Pixii has a global shutter too but i don't know if it is a real camera. https://pixii.fr/specifications

PIXII has a sensor in APS-C format.:(

https://www.dearsusan.net/2020/09/17/1041-important-camera-review-pixii-dust-for-the-industry/

Edited by jankap

I recalled that the M5 is a great camera but it doesn't went well in terms of revenue.

Besides, the core spirit of Leica is street photography, and it's tight to the best of breed rangefinder, shutter and shutter release mechanism.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, SrMi said:

If there is a new EVF, it must be tiltable :)!

...and I'd add it needs to be lock-able as well. The spring mechanism on my original M10 failed and ultimately , on the M10-R, I recently wound up losing one in the field as I failed to notice when it popped off the camera as I was putting the camera back in the bag. Expensive, expensive mistake as by the time I returned a half and hour later to the scene of the crime (knew exactly where via photographic evidence), someone else had taken it.   Need a screw mechanism to lock it on. 

• Like 1

I wish Leica would move to making the Monochrom version first. I would love to add the M11M right away to use alongside the M10-R, sharing the new Visoflex.

That said, I will probably move to an M11 right away just so I can share the same batteries with my Q2M. Right now it's a bit of a pain having different batteries and chargers for the Q-P, Q2M, and M10-R.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hdmesa said:

I wish Leica would move to making the Monochrom version first. I would love to add the M11M right away to use alongside the M10-R, sharing the new Visoflex.

Why not the M10 Monochrom alongside the M10-R, if indeed a rumored new Visoflex will work with the M10 platform?  The current Monochrom is already fabulous, with the same sensor architecture as the M10-R, sans color array (both based on the S3 sensor architecture).  What more do you want?

Jeff

2 hours ago, Jeff S said:

Why not the M10 Monochrom alongside the M10-R, if indeed a rumored new Visoflex will work with the M10 platform?  The current Monochrom is already fabulous, with the same sensor architecture as the M10-R, sans color array (both based on the S3 sensor architecture).  What more do you want?

Jeff

Adding an M10M does make sense. But it will depend on whether the new Visoflex uses more power than it already does (likely) or if it's more energy efficient (doubtful). I can deal with my M10-R battery life as it is, but I sure wouldn't want it to get any worse. The SL2/Q2 battery would be a huge upgrade and convenience across platforms.

I do think the M10-R and M10M will continue to sell well side-by-side against the M11 and M11M, at least until an M11-R is released (if ever).

• Thanks 1

On 4/18/2021 at 4:24 AM, analog-digital said:

With most modern or newer watches, you can't read the time, the essentials, very well at all. Is that "progress"?

I haven't had a wristwatch for 15+ years. You can read the time on any church clock.....   

What’s a church?

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, hdmesa said:

That said, I will probably move to an M11 right away just so I can share the same batteries with my Q2M. Right now it's a bit of a pain having different batteries and chargers for the Q-P, Q2M, and M10-R.

Leica already released M10 Monochrom before M10-R.

On 4/18/2021 at 12:24 AM, analog-digital said:

With most modern or newer watches, you can't read the time, the essentials, very well at all. Is that "progress"?

I haven't had a wristwatch for 15+ years. You can read the time on any church clock.....   

Actually the latest watch is called a phone. It also doubles as a camera and an entertainment centre. And you can talk and interact with all your friends and relatives. If you are still not sure, ask Siri.

Edited by rramesh
  • Like 1

People have missed what I want more than anything - bring back the frameline illumination window!  Something about that on the chrome bodies (perhaps with an M on the left front as well) is just sooo sexy.

I have no need of a new camera (my original M10 is way more camera than I am photographer), but if Leica brought that back (even a faux one), I would lay down my credit card immediately.  Yes, I am relatively shallow.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, hdmesa said:

Yes, but I'm saying I wish they would release the M11M before the M11, not the M11-R.

My point was that for the same resolution sensor, the Monochrom came out before the Bayer CFA version (M10-R). If there will be two color M11 versions with different resolutions, I assume that the Monochrom will have the higher resolution sensor. The better sensor will likely be ready only after the lower resolution color M11 has been launched.

Speculations :).

• Fang changed the title to Leak image of M11
  • jaapv changed the title to Leica M11 - your next camera? {MERGED}