Leica M11 - your next camera? {MERGED}

Al Brown

36 minutes ago, jankap said:

Interesting that nobody asks for upgrade technology. :wacko: A feature of Leitz long ago.

My father bought an If. The camera was upgraded to a IIf. I got it for my exam. After a few years the shutter jammed. We decided to upgrade it to a IIIf together with the repair of the shutter. Sometimes I still use the camera, 60 years later without even a CLA.

A If can take pictures (times 25 to 1000), one has to use an optical viewfinder, but a flash socket is available. The IIf adds the rangefinder mechanism (with eye adjustment) and the viewfinder. With the IIIf the long times (and T) and the self timer are added.

The last Leica exec who promoted the idea of a modern M upgradeable platform (for the M8)... was fired.  Dr. Kaufmann came to the rescue.

Jeff

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

16 minutes ago, Jeff S said:

The last Leica exec who promoted the idea of a modern M upgradeable platform (for the M8)... was fired.  Dr. Kaufmann came to the rescue.

Jeff

Times change. It was a nice feature, with the M they had to fight against lower priced competitors. But today they are known to be a high priced company and have the possibility to sell exclusive products. It seems, that the customers have enough money. See this thread: most posters have an M already, that will last another 10 years. But they would change to an M11, if it has a few properties more. Properties, that are irrelevant for the very most pictures.

Edited by jankap

3 minutes ago, jankap said:

Times change. It was a nice feature, with the M they had to fight against lower priced competitors. But today they are known to be a high priced company and have the possibility to sell exclusive products. It seems, that the customers have enough money. See this thread: most posters have an M already, that will last another 10 years. But they would change to an M11, if it has a few properties more. Properties, that are irrelevant for the very most pictures.

Indeed, and no longer just from one model to another (M10 to M11), but many additional iterations that require separate purchase (M10-D, M10-R, M10-Monochrom, etc), which some own jointly. Steven Lee missed the boat.

Jeff

18 minutes ago, analog-digital said:

At some point, Leica should draw a line under the M cameras. Then the subsequent models are basically no longer a revolutionary "invention".

I agree. For me the rangefinder is out. To define a new vision and to start with it is difficult. On the other hand with (very) conventional ideas the watch industry (Rolex, Coulters, etc.) makes money.:)

Edited by jankap

vor 7 Minuten schrieb jankap:

I agree. For me the rangefinder is out. To define a new vision and to start with it is difficult. On the other hand with (very) conventional ideas the watch industry (Rolex, Coulters, etc.) makes money.:)

Sometimes I wonder what the people who always demand new things actually want. Maybe they should be satisfied with the camera they have. And take photos. Finally.

• Like 2

vor 21 Minuten schrieb jankap:

On the other hand with (very) conventional ideas the watch industry (Rolex, Coulters, etc.) makes money.:)

With most modern or newer watches, you can't read the time, the essentials, very well at all. Is that "progress"?

I haven't had a wristwatch for 15+ years. You can read the time on any church clock.....   

Edited by analog-digital
  • Like 1

Just now, lct said:

Not sure to follow you here. All my cameras do use M lenses the way they are and all of them have silent shutter. I mean besides Ms of course...

You compared it with Q2's shutter, which uses a leaf shutter instead of the focal plane shutter as in M cameras. Typically, leaf shutters are less noisy and cause less vibrations, but need larger lenses.

8 minutes ago, SrMi said:

You compared it with Q2's shutter, which uses a leaf shutter instead of the focal plane shutter as in M cameras. Typically, leaf shutters are less noisy and cause less vibrations, but need larger lenses.

The Q2's silent shutter is electronic like the other ones AFAIK but you have a Q2 don't you so you know better than i do. 

8 minutes ago, lct said:

The Q2's silent shutter is electronic like the other ones AFAIK but you have a Q2 don't you so you know better than i do. 

I see. Yes, Q2 has a purely electronic shutter, though I never use it. From the somewhat chaotic Youtube video that you shared, it was not clear to me that you were referring to the electronic shutter. 

A silent shutter means a shutter that is not loud, in my book. Some manufacturers use the term "silent shutter" to denote an electronic shutter. When Leica talks about "Silent Photography" (Q2 manual) they mean photography without any acoustic signals :).

Edited by SrMi

If there is a new EVF I hope it is half the size (height) compared to current ones. As for the rest, it would need to be more revolutionary than the current rumor base for me to upgrade from my M10-D. Like pay-for-performance based software enhancements: e.g. an indistinguishable Kodachrome look/preset right out of the box, square or 8x10 modes, an IA based visualization of vantage point, an AI-base zone system visualization... can all be done in post with extra time but if the camera saves me time this is great (and money).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Fang changed the title to Leak image of M11
  • jaapv changed the title to Leica M11 - your next camera? {MERGED}