Leica M11 - your next camera? {MERGED}

Al Brown

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 11/12/2021 at 7:56 PM, harmen said:

Why do we keep talking about viewfinders?  Let’s talk about hands and dials.  For sure the next new Leica is going to be a watch.  It’s about time.  Can’t tell you what time exactly though.  That would be alarming and too risky in the business of prophecies.

Ta da!

• 2 months later...

I just learned about Stevens ban.  He was highly engaged and entertaining.  That said I get the forums relationship with Leica. 

I have to vote as a consumer.... Leica produces great products.  However, it has a long way to go to live up to it's aspirations to be luxury brand.  Customer service is horrible etc... 

So in the end ... My heart lies with the fan and consumer.  Why ban someone?  Given everything going on I the world havent we begin to value free speech more than ever?  

Maybe we should vote with our feet and move to rangefinder forum and another venue.  Food for thought (unless I also get banned). 

• 2 months later...
On 1/5/2022 at 2:19 AM, evikne said:

Analog film has in a way “unlimited” resolution. I like the idea that we can just forget about pixels and think of our digital pictures almost as they were “analog”. To me, that’s a very liberating thought.

Try printing a Tri-X negative pushed to ASA / ISO 6400, and you'll conclude film does NOT have unlimited resolution. Heck, even a Tri-X neg processed at ASA / ISO 400 has limits to how much enlargement it'll take. 

For me the main advantage of digital over film is the elimination of the wet darkroom. I don't miss dodging and burning prints under a red safelight or loading a film development tank in total darkness at all. And an M10-R's 41MP,  Leica SL2's 47MP or Canon EOS R5's 45MP resolution is plenty. I can crop and post or print to 12x19 or 16x24 (or bigger with correct exposure and focus) as much as I want with any of those cameras. 

Edited by lecycliste

Nowadays, when I think of the M11 compared to my M3, I feel the same way when comparing a Tesla with my old MG two-seater.  Newer is "better" I guess, but the old ways of doing things were enjoyable, not tedious.  My old darkroom was fun to be in, and I enjoyed being creative.  

On 6/14/2022 at 4:23 PM, lecycliste said:

For me the main advantage of digital over film is the elimination of the wet darkroom.

In today's world, that is probably true for most people, but now we ought to have an expensive computer and other computer accessories.

If someone offered to somehow give my back my 1960 MGA, or a 2022 Tesla, I know I would enjoy the MG the most.  

So which has been the most enjoyable to use, my M3 (now restored by DAG Cameras) or my M10, or perhaps a new M11?  What counts the most to me was the resulting photographs, not the camera that took them.

My own "battle" today is whether to continue using my Nikon gear with the F-mount, or switch to the new mirrorless things Nikon wants us to buy, with all new lenses.  I think the whole thing is a sales gimmick, to get people to buy new cameras and new lenses, to do what they used to do.  I actually got a second D750, as I feel that, along with the Leica's, makes the perfect camera for ME.

Another "battle" that has ended in my mind was to continue with my M10 or replace it with an M11.  I suspect I would simply be $10,000 poorer, and taking the same photos I do now with the M10.

On 6/14/2022 at 4:23 PM, lecycliste said:

Try printing a Tri-X negative pushed to ASA / ISO 6400, and you'll conclude film does NOT have unlimited resolution.

I started scanning my old negatives from a lifetime ago, and while I agree with the above, my old negatives are limited to what was achievable a lifetime ago, the resulting photos are just as nice as what I'm taking nowadays, despite being all black & white.  The grain doesn't detract from the image - the grain IS the image.

I guess you are right though - for lots of reasons I mostly use my M10 and my D750 nowadays, as it's the quickest and easiest way to get the end result - minutes, vs. days.

• Like 1