Leica M11 - your next camera? {MERGED}

Al Brown

4 minutes ago, shirubadanieru said:

where? I’m trying here https://leica-camera.com/ja-JP/photography/m/what-makes-a-legend but nothing moves

https://leica-camera.com/en-int/photography/cameras/m/m11-black

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

"M11 has over 40 improvements over M10" (Stefan Daniel)
This is the new sensor, one of them.

Edited by Al Brown

As an aside, reading this particular thread draws many parallels to one of my favorite websites that is both informative and, at times, wildly entertaining.  In my mind, although different, few things have been as impactful, controversial and relevant in many ways as both over the past 50-60 years.  

In fact, as often has been said about one, time is irrelevant when it comes to interpretation.  The essence of his writings will hold as true today as it did in 1960 and will in 2060. Same for the M.  If the Leica M camera could speak to many of the things mentioned here (and elsewhere over the years)  it would probably be as mercurial in response.  

The Lecia M could easily lift his many quotes in response to much in this thread :

• "All I can be is me - whoever that it is"
  • "I was so much older then; I'm younger than that now"
  • "Some people feel the rain; others just get wet"
  • "I accept chaos, I'm not sure whether it accepts me"
  • "Don't criticize what you can't understand"
  • "There's no success like failure & failure's no success at all"
  • "All the truth in the world ads up to one big lie"

...the list goes on & on.  

Steve Jobs, btw, had a pic of him in an early ad with the line "Think different" 

www.expectingrain.com

Oh yes, #6000

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Video... phooey.  I'll do my own review.

Just got this:

I am happy to say this morning the Leica M11 has been officially announced as the next generation in Leica historic M series.
Per your request we have reserved a camera in your interest along with other accessories. Please see the above quote to review which items we have reserved. If all looks agreeable you can follow the link below to a direct electronic invoice to secure your new M11.

ttyl... got other stuff to do....

"The M11 also allows you to shoot both Raw and JPEG files at a choice of three resolutions: 60MP (L), 36MP (M) and 18MP (S). These reduced file sizes are created having initially sampled all the sensor's pixels, which gives them a noise benefit and reduced risk of moire, compared to line-skipping or sub-sampling the sensor in some way. The noise benefit that comes from downscaling means that Leica quotes the dynamic range of the M and S files as being one stop higher than the 14-stop figure it gives for 60MP mode"

Interesting, not even Sony has this option 😄

Edited by Al Brown
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, andybarton said:

Mods have already passed 6,000 ;)

(Our counter includes all the hidden posts in a thread)

In case we need "Sue Gray" inquiry...

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Al Brown said:

the dynamic range of the M and S files as being one stop higher than the 14-stop figure

This would be reason enough to buy the camera, shoot an image at 36mp and get 15 stops of DR.  I believe in the video he says that DR doesn't change with higher ISO but details aren't provided.  

One question I have after seeing the videos is about color. Saturday Dave (?) makes the comment, I think, that the colors are "realistic, not as pretty" or something like that. @Oswaltsaid he preferred the colors of the M10R and mentioned that the M10R might become a collector's item because of its unique sensor. 

Edited by John Smith

So back to the louder than-a-M240 clacky shutter noise of the original M10 in the mechanical shutter, eh? I’ll have to find out more about using the electronic one when using the OVF but this makes the case for sticking with my M10-P a bit more….well, sound.

Other than that niggle, it looks like a heck of a nice camera with that 3 in 1 sensor.

Edited by Reciprocity