Leica M11 - your next camera? {MERGED}

Al Brown

Advertisement (gone after registration)

2 minutes ago, TheBestSLIsALeicaflex said:

Leica must'v leaned something from that fiasco, maybe?

Whilst a few people really like the M5 it was a commercial failure. Leica (hopefully) learned that changing the form factor of the M camera is a bad idea (commercially at least). FWIW when I was a student I worked in a camera shop in London (~1980) and we had a lovely chrome M5 in stock. It took a very long time to sell.

Edited by pgk

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

LUF Admin

What happend (my version): The embargo date for the Leica M11 was today 3pm (German time) Steven started yesterday at 5pm (German time) posting Leica M11 images I deleted (hid) the thread, contacted Steve and asked him not to do so as such leaks can hurt the relationship to Leica Camera – the forum’s and my business’ relationship.  Steven answered this: Three hours later he started another thread: „M11 - My first impressions of the best digital M yet“ Using

LUF Admin

No I don't. Lengthy justification hidden, account banned again, premium membership fee refunded. You can write a thousand times that your post was not an attack in my direction. I told you that you are on probation and it's a really, really bad idea to post off topic justifications and to open the discussion again. Sorry, I'm now really mad now. It's Friday evening, I had a hard week and still a long to-do list. And I'm no longer willing to tidy up behind single members who d

Steven

I buy a lot of stuff, but I never look back, or never change my mind once my opinion is made.  No, you remember it wrong. I said I didn't like it on digital, and I still don't. I always said that I liked it on film, and I still do.    Dude, what are you smoking ? I'm so happy. Happy in my life. Happy with my cameras. I'm the happiest person you've spoken to today! And I am extremely focused on my photography. In December, I shot 173 rolls of film, in four different countries.

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Herr Barnack said:

Unless they can show us there is an option in the menu to make the shutter operate like the M10 did when using the optical finder, then Shuttergate is inevitable I'm afraid.

I'm not about to buy an M11 anyway, so my opinion doesn't count too much, but what I was wondering before was only whether the additional $$ from my M10 was worth it for the new features I was going to  get.  I can't say for sure, but if I understand this correctly, my desire for an M11 just dropped.  The main reason for using my Leica M is for use with the rangefinder, and it's nice that I have the Live View option too, but it sounds like the camera is losing some of what makes a Leica a Leica, because of some trade-off where something else gets better.  

I don't complain about any of this in Live View on my M10, as that's just part of what allows me to use Live View, which sometimes is very useful.  But if I turn Live View off, and don't plan on using a Visoflex, the M10 works as expected, no real complaints.  

Unfortunately, with the change in metering, I'm very confused if this will or won't be an issue.  Everything in life is a trade-off.  

I'll watch the presentation tomorrow with an open mind, and then compare what I think with what I'm reading here in the forum.

Nothing new, I'm running into lots of dead-ends in new technology lately - to me, going from a DSLR to Liveview may not be what I want in my Nikons, meaning my two D750's and my Df might be the end of my Nikon life.  I suspect my M10 may be the best Leica I ever get to own, but I suspect that honor really goes to my M3.

16 minutes ago, Postelnikov said:

I love when somebody starts to take offense for another person. I have great respect to @Steven . So, please, calm down and do not seek for fight where it is not needed. He gave us a lot of insights about camera. I may be wrong, but it is in the middle of this 100 pages. Take that as a light year. It is a measure of distance.
Most of them were positive. And today, a shuttergate appears. I am trying to say that this is an emotional comparison, not a real. It is already clear that comparing the new mode to M10-R LV mode is not right. That scared a lot of people. That is what I tried to say.

@Steven left this thread because of reactions like that. Isn’t it too hot attitude here already? All should calm down and wait. Fingerprints on black color and other based on somewhat limited reviews. But a lot already want to fight.  

Taking offense at those taking offense is classic. But perhaps a larger font next time would help me hear more clearly? 😂

7 minutes ago, hdmesa said:

Taking offense at those taking offense is classic. But perhaps a larger font next time would help me hear more clearly? 😂

I hope for that 😀 that’s just how everything will look because of increase MP in M11. I am giving you a sneak peek) no gratitude required 😂

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The silver vs black weight and shutter shake thing: I would highly advise not making any judgements on this without actual handling. I will say that one may need to use a higher shutter speed due to 60mp, but from the sounds of it that should correlate in a linear fashion to an increase in the iso noise floor.

As a user pointed out earlier, be sure before you buy that new $9k camera you are setup computer wise, esp those doing the 24 to 60mp jump. 

The M11 will be a fantastic camera I'm sure, but just be aware we are getting into Ferrari for going to the supermarket territory here. Of course I want one, but certainly don't need one. 

Just having a dig at the pro camera critics earlier. But I do think it's a niche that should always be taken with a grain of salt. Of course what would I know, being just an 'average user.' 🤣Here is my 'review copy' of the M9, bought the first month out, no sandpaper needed:

12 minutes ago, charlesphoto99 said:

The silver vs black weight and shutter shake thing: I would highly advise not making any judgements on this without actual handling. I will say that one may need to use a higher shutter speed due to 60mp, but from the sounds of it that should correlate in a linear fashion to an increase in the iso noise floor.

As a user pointed out earlier, be sure before you buy that new $9k camera you are setup computer wise, esp those doing the 24 to 60mp jump. 

The M11 will be a fantastic camera I'm sure, but just be aware we are getting into Ferrari for going to the supermarket territory here. Of course I want one, but certainly don't need one. 

Just having a dig at the pro camera critics earlier. But I do think it's a niche that should always be taken with a grain of salt. Of course what would I know, being just an 'average user.' 🤣Here is my 'review copy' of the M9, bought the first month out, no sandpaper needed:

The M3 of digital Leicas! no digital camera has surpassed the M9, similarly to how no film camera surpassed the M3 ♡

10 minutes ago, SrMi said:

helping this thread reach 6000.

Is there a specific reason why 6k is important?

Considered the case, it's an M11 thread! It should be 11k. Let's see it this way, more than 50% is done 😅

Edited by Dennis

5 minutes ago, Kriehuber said:

You guys act like you are climbing the Mount Everest, but are overthink a small bag of NickNacs. Obviously everybody here is right that a camera that weights more will vibrate less and I don't want to attack anyone personally, but the discussions and overthinking in the thread makes me laugh.  Why? Because literally NOTHING changes anything, nothing that's discussed here will change anything about taking a good photograph. But I understand that for some ( probably most ?) its a lot bout the enjoyment and overtyping stuff like this maybe justifies a purchase and less about the end result. Wich is totally ok. 

Most here understand that a camera can only enable one's vision, not create it.  But one is not always in control of the shooting situation and has to adapt to what happens to present itself in the moment. When about to fork over this kind of cash, most of us don't approach such things frivolously. In my case, I prefer to consider what features matter to me and which might get in my way.  All done on the the basis of real world, real photography dealing with what I expect to encounter and whether or not the camera in question is likely to help or hurt me and in what circumstances. If you think that such a pursuit is overthinking, you're free to do so. And I'll admit that I do indeed, in the privacy of my own home, read and smirk a tick over those obsessed about whether or not a silver body will clash with the look of their newly acquired black 35 APO. Not my thing at all.  But what is, is not questioning their ability or commitment because of it. One thing has little to do with the other.

It might not have been your intent, but the above and previous post come off as a holier than thou, 'I suspect you're all a bunch of a dilettantes hobbyists taking OoF picture of the grand kids.' sort of attitude. There are some damn fine, quite serious photographers lurking on these pages. If you don't piss them off, you might learn something valuable, assuming you don't know it all already.

1 hour ago, jonoslack said:

I was intrigued by it as well - I thought Steve was only positive, and although it isn't my style I think it has some merit. Hopefully he'll have a couple of coffees and Leica USA will send him a camera to play with and all will be well

They better not. At least not until I have mine. The very idea... 😉

The shutter lag won’t bother me at all. That’s how I have been shooting my M240P for years. I’d rather have matrix metering at all times compared to any other metering mode. Plus, it’s my habit to only take 1 shot usually so I don’t ever rapid fire. 

35 minutes ago, charlesphoto99 said:

While I don't disagree that weight may be a non-issue, in my case I won't have any opportunity to test other than perhaps holding them both. And without an RRS, which is de rigueur for my use of the M.  In the absence of evidence one way or the other, and despite my preference for black,  assuming I have a choice, I'm going for the heavier body.  OTOH, now that you mention it I could always just do some lead tape over the red dot if need be.

10 minutes ago, Flu said:

The shutter lag won’t bother me at all. That’s how I have been shooting my M240P for years. I’d rather have matrix metering at all times compared to any other metering mode. Plus, it’s my habit to only take 1 shot usually so I don’t ever rapid fire. 

FWIW, M11 has the same max fps as M10-R.