Leica M11 - your next camera? {MERGED}

Al Brown

4 minutes ago, adli said:

I find it more convenient to pull out the card than to fiddle with cables.

Cables are for when I get "home", and have the time to ingest the images onto my computer using PhotoMechanic.  When I'm out taking photos, things are different.  

Makes me wonder, what happens if a memory card fails during a shoot?  I know I'll need to remove it, replace it, and continue on, but will/can the built in internal memory keep a backup copy of all my images, so I can somehow copy them onto my computer?   With the new USB port, will I be able to plug in a "memory stick" and tell the camera to copy all those backup images onto the memory stick?

When I put in a new card, and format it, will this also format the built-in memory?

I wonder why Leica didn't provide two memory card slots, as other professional cameras do.  No space?

19 minutes ago, frame-it said:

i would wait for a few firmware updates as far as the M11 is concerned...

With new cameras, or new cars, or new software, or new anything, it is prudent to not buy the first release, but wait a while until the inevitable bugs are found and fixed.  I bought Nikon cameras (D2h, D3, D70) from the first release that arrived at B&H Photo, and had  numerous problems.  My first D2sh went back and forth to Nikon about five times until I asked the tech supervisor, Michael Ansett, to send me an in-house D2x that they knew worked properly.  All this stuff worked out OK in the long run, eventually, but I had to use a backup camera instead of my shiny new Nikon.  My brand new D70 was also right after the release, and I took it to Italy to cover a world championship event, and it died after a few hours.  I shot the entire even on a borrowed Nikon D40 from another fellow at the race, the cheapest and least expensive DSLR they had at the time, and I forced it to do what I needed.  All of Italy was shut down at the time, and there were no other options.  Getting a replacement from the USA would have taken too long.  Anyway, the part of my brain that is rational about these things insists I never buy anything "new" again until all the bugs have been worked out.  

Meaning, if I buy my shiny new M11, and sell my perfectly good M10, I might find myself with nothing for a period of time, is the M11 needs to go back for "adjustments".    😞

Yes, I agree with you - by the time the firmware has been updated once or twice, I'll have a lot more confidence in the camera.   ......and while I thoroughly enjoy shooting my M8.2, I would miss all the improvements made since that camera was released.

Hmmm... so what to watch? The announcement is in a few minutes. I can see that there is an unveiling at the Leica Camera AG website, and also looking at the RDF Youtube channel, they are doing something there. 

Or... that's 10pm here in Hong Kong, so perhaps I go to sleep and see what Santa left in the morning. 😁

Advertisement (gone after registration)

2 minutes ago, Winedemonium said:

Hmmm... so what to watch? The announcement is in a few minutes. I can see that there is an unveiling at the Leica Camera AG website, and also looking at the RDF Youtube channel, they are doing something there. 

Or... that's 10pm here in Hong Kong, so perhaps I go to sleep and see what Santa left in the morning. 😁

it's only about 30 mins left, you need to keep awake!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, MikeMyers said:

Then there's image size - with 60 megapixels, I will soon have space issues on my computer, and I'm not sure how well me two year old Mac Mini with the Intel chip will do when I come back from a visit to India with perhaps 500 to 1,000 images, each one 60 megs.  Even if the computer works with them, since I rarely make large prints, I'm not sure what, if anything, I will gain from this.  I know I don't have to shoot at 60 megs, but knowing me, I would shoot at the best possible setting, just in case, and perhaps downsize images later.

@MikeMyers

I'd suggest that you might consider a hierarchical storage strategy if you're not going to print it out immediately.

In my case, a good practice of digital process other than printing process, on my local drive, I split all my RAW(import)/Jpeg(export) files into different categories(quarterly) with proper tags, descriptions, color codes, and even applied different icons on the folder for a clear picture of who's who down there. This is the first layer of the data plane for the post-process, screenshot attached, FYR.

I use ChronoSync, ChronoAgent, and InnterConnect to access photos via different devices while off-site.

I often use ChronoSync backup previous RAW/Exported files(folders) to 2nd layer storage devices. And change the logo(icons) until the overlap period is due.

I'd then backup and migrate 2nd layer of data to NAS by the next year.

I developed this strategy 15 years ago and use it for years up until now and the good thing is the local drive is always a high performance, robust and sufficient. And all the data storage fulfills Reliable, Available, and Secured(RSA) criteria.

I hope you find your own brilliant way to organize your photos soon.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I'm in Miami, Florida, USA, and it's now 8:45am.  For me, the presentation I signed up for starts at 12pm.

If there are other things I should be looking for, I'm not aware of where they will be held, or what time.  

Just now, MikeMyers said:

I'm in Miami, Florida, USA, and it's now 8:45am.  For me, the presentation I signed up for starts at 12pm.

If there are other things I should be looking for, I'm not aware of where they will be held, or what time.  

This is what I have too, but 5pm GMT time. Leica website has something for 3pm CET which is in 10mins 😱

15 minutes ago, Erato said:

I'd suggest that you might consider a hierarchical storage strategy if you're not going to print it out immediately.

What you posted sounds fascinating, but my system is much simpler.  Take photos, ingest into one of my computers using Photo Mechanic, edit in DxO PhotoLab or DarkTable (used to be Adobe software).  Backups are with Apple Time Machine, and copying manually to external drives.  I have one set of files from when I used Windows, and copied everything to my new Apple computers starting in 2015.  Now I only use Apple.  

What you have sounds far more powerful and complex.  I'm not sure if I'm ready for something like this.