Leica M11 - your next camera? {MERGED}

Al Brown

Advertisement (gone after registration)

2 minutes ago, Hanno said:

The cable solution will go much faster than the wifi and likely will become the preferred option.

Yes... just buy one small USB-C cable , ca. 30cm of good quality and you can have this all the time in your camera bag. 
I know that I will do that... :D

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, FrozenInTime said:

Is it possible to insert a USB drive into the camera and complete a file transfer/backup  without requiring a computer ?

That would be even more cool and better than this with USB-C cable and FOTOs app.
If there is no such function in the camera perhaps it can be implemanted with next FW update in the Leica M11 or other cameras.
That hard it cant be I think but I am not an expert... :D

I'm glad the viewfinder seems to be like that of the M10 (Viewfinder magnification *0.73) - though of course, for those wearing glasses like me, the size of the exit pupil is more important still. Bigger is better. Look at the Leica binoculars . . . there they know how to make life pretty.

M11 implemented the shutter mechanism differently from previous digital M. LiveView is always activated in M11. Display could be turned off but shutter is always exposed. I glanced several pages in this thread and found somewhere that the M11 has no dedicated light meter and only meters from the sensor. Which is why the sensor has to be left open. Not sure what the benefit is, perhaps faster FPS, but it surely leads to longer startup time.

6 minutes ago, ekindangen said:

M11 implemented the shutter mechanism differently from previous digital M. LiveView is always activated in M11. Display could be turned off but shutter is always exposed. I glanced several pages in this thread and found somewhere that the M11 has no dedicated light meter and only meters from the sensor. Which is why the sensor has to be left open. Not sure what the benefit is, perhaps faster FPS, but it surely leads to longer startup time.

Doesn't that mean that is also has to close the shutter before taking a picture? Hence causing even more delay? Or is it electronic first shutter?

14 minutes ago, sebben said:

Doesn't that mean that is also has to close the shutter before taking a picture?

I hope to be corrected by the real camera, though all I can imagine now is the shutter - always! - goes Open-Close-Open-Close-Open when you take a photo, even if you don't use liveview. The traditional shutter goes Close-Open-Close.

The M (Typ 240) had an option for using measurement from the sensor even if you were not in liveview, but you could still use the traditional system. So it seems they have abandoned the traditional measurement completely and simplified it as if the M was an EVF-only camera.

Call me reactionary, but if my assumption is true, I shall not like the M11. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FrozenInTime said:

Is it possible to insert a USB drive into the camera and complete a file transfer/backup  without requiring a computer ?

Would have been very cool, then I could skip my Macbook on shorter travels.

Connecting the camera to the phone via cable, I find kind of useless for me....

Then there's the question of what to do with my M8.2 and my M10, which I highly doubt I would sell.  The M8.2 is the only camera I have for infrared work, which leaves my M10 as possible trade-in $$.  From everything I've read so far, I can't even consider selling my M10, until I am sure the M11 will be a good replacement.

3 minutes ago, sebben said:

If this is the case, I can't see it leading to a nice shooting experience

Well, my assumption describes the same mechanism which is used for the Q or SL. I'd not say that they are awkward to use. Though using a complicated system when there is no need for it (M not in liveview), does not look good to me. 

40 minutes ago, sebben said:

Doesn't that mean that is also has to close the shutter before taking a picture? Hence causing even more delay? Or is it electronic first shutter?

That's what I stated a few times in this thread but even the bravest critics (in the past) remain kind of silent. I think that can be because of 'that thing just shall be the best of the M series' or because they know something we don't yet. I'll wait for the final presentation. But yeah, even if the mechanical was improved by a large scale, the original mechanism would then still be faster if implemented with the same new mechanics.

1 minute ago, UliWer said:

Well, my assumption describes the same mechanism which is used for the Q or SL. I'd not say that they are awkward to use. Though using a complicated system when there is no need for it (M not in liveview), does not look good to me. 

That is true to some degree - maybe I need to get over it and just use the new mechanism. I am potentially too harsh alongside with others. Still, I'm afraid after Steven's initial feedback. Still weird, that he's gone (and took his thread with him). I like the Q2 and the SL2-S - so there is some truth in the nether that I may be happy with the M11.

Edited by BJohn

Then there's image size - with 60 megapixels, I will soon have space issues on my computer, and I'm not sure how well me two year old Mac Mini with the Intel chip will do when I come back from a visit to India with perhaps 500 to 1,000 images, each one 60 megs.  Even if the computer works with them, since I rarely make large prints, I'm not sure what, if anything, I will gain from this.  I know I don't have to shoot at 60 megs, but knowing me, I would shoot at the best possible setting, just in case, and perhaps downsize images later.

There's also the software I use - I suppose Adobe will be right on top of this, but I prefer DxO PhotoLab, and it won't even open raw images from a camera they haven't already checked out for any needed corrections.  I highly doubt PhotoLab will work with the M11 for at least a month(s).  Which means I'll be using DarkTable.  I assume DarkTable will open the M11 images, and I'll have access to DT even when I'm overseas.