Leica M11 - your next camera? {MERGED}

Al Brown

Does anybody have a clue what FILM STYLE option is in the menu from the Quick Start Guide Leica made available online? Will there be Portra 400 🙂?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

6 minutes ago, Al Brown said:

Does anybody have a clue what FILM STYLE option is in the menu from the Quick Start Guide Leica made available online?

Probably something similar to the options available in NIK Software.  An in-camera option would be irrelevant for me as I only shoot DNG.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, T25UFO said:

Probably something similar to the options available in NIK Software.  An in-camera option would be irrelevant for me as I only shoot DNG.

Some options (like the perspective control tool on M10-R) that seem like in-camera jpg only are embedded to the DNG file and can be recalled later in PS. Example: if I have perspective control ON the jpg will save it corrected immediatelly, but with DNG I can faithfully recall it by going to Camera Raw's GEOMETRY menu and select the last ("GUIDED") correction option.

Edited by Al Brown
  • Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

An idea...  how to “fix“ problem with a shutter on Leica M11...

Last night, after a whole day and night following and reading this forum, I was going very late in my bed to sleep.
This time around 02h in the night, perhaps because the posts slowed down so I could't read anything new. Normal people was already in bed resting for tomorrow Leica event not like me a Leica fanatic. And again, as often I do, I had a “Leica dream“. This time I was dreaming to go to the Leica event with plane. No PRC tests or jabs needed, no masks, everybody was happy and smiling. Then in when we landed on the destination I noticed that I lost my home key somewhere on the plane. I was sad because I have one small Leica key chain with nice red Leica brand  written on it. Next appeared  dr. Kaufmann and told me I should look under a seat and in lost/found in the airport terminal. He also said I should't turn my home key too hard because it can brake and then I have real problem. I don't know why he said that but he is dr. Andreas Kaufmann, owner of Leica and he can say what ever he want... Not important, I have strange dreams...  :D

My idea or “solution“ of this shutter problem that was discussed here in length and kept me awake last night is this. I got her first thing in the morning in my mind. Perhaps it could be implemented in next firmware to have option to turn off Live View and also with that to close first curtain. That way it don't need first too close then to open then to close and again to open like when the camera operate in Live View. That way the first curtain of shutter is already already closed end don't need to go that extra way. Uf course we loose exposure metering because M11 have metering from the sensor. We can use the camera like old M3 or MA that had no exposure metering at all. Some kind of “classic rangefinder mode“... If we need to make exposer metering just assign one FN button to start Live View  and the the metering is on. No need to meter light all the time. Just like in old analog times... That way the shutter is faster, less lag. Perhaps also to have function  to make shutter to start on the first position on shutter button. That way it is even more responsive and even less shutter lag...    

We can make a petition here and if enough people sign on Leica can make it happen on next FW update.
This is solution only for the Leica purist... Only an idea...   :D

Edited by LEGEND
  • Haha 2

39 minutes ago, Al Brown said:

Does anybody have a clue what FILM STYLE option is in the menu from the Quick Start Guide Leica made available online? Will there be Portra 400 🙂?

It has always been a jpg profile, not affecting the DNG files.  The line in the menu is greyed out if you shoot DNG only.  The perspective correction that appeared on the M10 is different.  It appears as metadata passed in each DNG file and can be used by your raw file development software.  Is it mentioned anywhere in the Quickstart file?

Guys, hang in there!  We can make 6K if we keep all comments on early reviews in this thread (except for Jono's of course -- at the proper time he will start his own thread for comments, questions and feedback).

Less than 100 posts or 5 pages to go.   Liveblogging the announcement should do it, even if there are no surprises

Edited by scott kirkpatrick
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, zwieback said:

To all administrators:

It might be worth now to open a new category in parallel to the M1, film Ms... for the M11 rather than spoiling the M10 threads.

They will open the second Leica officially announces the M11and not before.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, scott kirkpatrick said:

Guys, hang in there!  We can make 6K if we keep all comments on early reviews in this thread (except for Jono's of course -- at the proper time he will start his own thread for comments, questions and feedback).

Less than 100 posts or 5 pages to go.   Liveblogging the announcement should do it, even if there are no surprises

Nothing much to say but contributing to 6000 😂.

• Haha 3

aha, there is a nice thing finally...
Leica M11 and Leica FOTOS app can exchange photos per USB-C cable.
If the wifi conection does't work well you have allways the possibility to import 
photos per USB-C cable in the FOTOS app... I like that... :D
Perhaps it also works with SL2, SL2-S cameras...

Edited by LEGEND
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, LEGEND said:

If the wifi conection does't work well you have allways the possibility to import 
photos per USB-C cable in the FOTOS app... 

The cable solution will go much faster than the wifi and likely will become the preferred option.

• Like 1