Leica M11 - your next camera? {MERGED}

Al Brown

40 minutes ago, roma said:

I bet within a month people will already start complaining how M11's color is all wrong because of the new sensor tech, and this is wrong, and that's wrong, and how M10 is the best Leica ever made. All of this before a single M11 sees the light of day. We know the drill 😉 😀

If the colour is anything like the SL2-S, no one will complain. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Steven said:

Thanks for starting this thread. You forgot to add the most important unofficial feature. 

It is rumoured to be a BSI sensor ! If it is anything like the one in the SL2-S, it is a GAME CHANGER. The low light capabilities of the M11 will finally be worth mentioning, and it will remove all need for ibis. 

Fixed bottom plate, I am curious about that ! 

Agreed, if it is the same sensor as the SL2-S then that might well justify my skipping the M10-R, I've been waiting to see if this could happen. At 36mp that would be a sweet spot whereas the 41mp sensor in the R didn't work for me. Isn't the SL2-S 24mp though.......so maybe it'll not be the same sensor?

The bottom plate? As much as it's annoyed me in the past, ( earlier in my usage of the first digital M's I had momentary fears that I would fog the film when removing the bottom plate! ), I'm completely ok with it now........But if Leica makes the battery and card port like the Q series I could get to like that especially if it allowed a slightly larger battery, but I can't see how they can get a larger battery into the M10 body with or without a bottom plate, and I assume the M11 will be the same size camera.

It's a very interesting rumour but much as respect Leica Rumours and their 'source' I think there alledgely may well be a bit of confusion within 'sources'. Again rumour but it may well be 'sources' are getting very mixed up with the timing of the CL2 and M11 launches. Again allegedly the CL2 has been put back to November 2021 now from this month and the M11 is more like Q2 next year at the earliest.

This kinda makes more sense to me as why leak news as a source about an M11 so close after the M10r launch which is meant to be selling very well - if there are other sources and it moves from speculation to a validated rumour spec wise, from multiple different sources, well then I can't see there be many more M10R sales which doesn't seem to make sense for a company like Leica.

Anyhow what do I know but even people normally in the know about these sorts of things seem a bit confused about which date is for what camera :)

• Like 1

I own a M10-R, if I just go by the rumors, I don't see anything that justifies the price of an upgrade. The two main things they could do to make me upgrade is IBIS (which apparently won't happen) or if they somehow manage to make the camera even prettier (yes I admit it, the main reason I started using Leica M is because I think they're the prettiest cameras on the market).The bottom plate is something I actually like, not for any functional reasons I just like the way it makes the camera look. BSI is nice, but imho not a big enough upgrade (assuming this camera will cost ~$9k and I can sell my M10-R for $6k the upgrade would cost me $3k -- but then I probably wouldn't sell my M10-R anyways so it would cost $9k).

I don't care about the Visoflex I am quicker and more precise focusing with the range finder than with focus peaking -- even with fast and long lenses. I figured out that the trick for me is to not concentrate on it. Instead I just look at the pace where I want to focus and pull until it stops looking like my glasses are dirty (I don't know whether that description makes sense but it works very well for me 😅).

• Haha 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

2 hours ago, M10 for me said:

before you can take out the battery or memory card you have to remove the bottom plate. That is with M3 to the M10.

Thank you. I'm fine with as is. I didn't know it was considered a problem that needed to be fixed. But if that's what most customers are asking for, I will certainly not complain. 

Well, the announcement date does at least make sense.  Consistent with the M9 launch and that was a big step for Leica with a full frame M camera.  Maybe this will be an equally big step.

I can also see more weather sealing with the SL2 / Q2 design for battery and SD card.  I always thought the SL battery was too big for the Q but was proved wrong.

Real M users will never go for an EVF to replace the rangefinder, but a much better Visoflex is a worthwhile option, particularly if backward compatible with the M10.  Leica keep producing fast lenses (75mm Noctilux, 90mm Summilux and the reissue 50mm Noctilux) and Peter Karbe wants us to shoot wide open.

All these things combined seem to make sense in terms of the evolution of the M camera.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Jeff S said:

The source...

https://leicarumors.com/2021/04/13/first-leica-m11-camera-rumors.aspx/

Note comments on new Visoflex, compatible with M10.

Jeff

Woot Woot! Can't wait to see the new Visoflex design and know the specs. Dr Kaufmann in some Youtube interview not too long ago commented that he never liked the design of the Visoflex, wondering if if he got his way for a very different looking Visioflex. Also, better Visiflex specs might require a new battery with some more power. M11 rumor sounds very exciting to me! Much more so than the M10-R. Lets hope Leica sees fit to put a new processor in the M11 too! 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, M10 for me said:

2 minutes ago, M10 for me said:

In Body Image Stabilisation: Means stabilisation of sensor instead of lens.

Sorry for post above.

Thanks! I'm strictly an M user. So it's a huh? for me. My Canon equipment is all lens stabilization or ILIS.

IBIS = sensor movement, correct?  Is that even compatible with a true rangefinder focusing mechanism like the digital M cameras have?

Also, what about compatibility with M lenses that have extremely thin depth of focus - such as any of the Noctilux lenses being used at maximum aperture as well as the Summilux M lenses?

Edited by Herr Barnack

vor 7 Minuten schrieb Jeff S:

Called OIS... optical image stabilization.  

The Leica SL2 has IBIS, and the two long SL zooms include OIS as well.

Jeff

Just allow to add: A modern Canon R has IBIS plus OIS in most/some lenses. Both together increase the stabilisation effect. We agree that this will never happen with the M. 

vor 2 Stunden schrieb Herr Barnack:

That was my initial reaction, too. 

I can't see how sticking with the M10R's 40.89 megapixel resolution would be a bad thing in a BSI sensor.

Resolution vs. Low light is every time a compromise 

• Like 2

• Fang changed the title to Leak image of M11
  • jaapv changed the title to Leica M11 - your next camera? {MERGED}