Leica M11 - your next camera? {MERGED}

Al Brown

Advertisement (gone after registration)

2 hours ago, Ouroboros said:

You'll pay a lot of money to a data recovery company to recover your files and even more money to replace the media or buy yourself a replacement camera.

Happened to we with a computer. The SSD was easy to replace then. Those things can be tiny. 

37 minutes ago, cirke said:

I’d prefer anyway a SSD 256 or 512 than a SD 

Not I. Too risky for me. I would rather continue with the user replaceable (sd) option we have now. Plus I don't think I want to always have to tether the camera to the computer to download the day's shoot

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, cirke said:

I’d prefer anyway a SSD 256 or 512 than a SD 

Removable SSD could be XQD or lately CF Express card, closest to Leica it was implemented on Panasonic L alliance full frame S Cameras. CF Express exist in two flavours, A and B.  A is compatible with SD and only implemented by Sony in Alpha A1 making it closed system, and B by everyone else who is serious about camera memory.  No nonsense photo media removable memory - my preference is type B. 

3 hours ago, FrozenInTime said:

micro SD would be fine with me - I've been using them for a couple of years without issues ( they all come with SD adapters ).

Two micro SD slots could easily fit alongside the new battery if there was an offset flange on the battery base.

MicroSD is too fussy for me, easy to drop, hard to pick up. I prefer to switch to the more robust CFexpress Type A.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

As far a storage goes, IMO it would be silly to move away from SD.  Frankly it would tick me off a bit given even Apple has figured this out with the new Mac Pros.  The cost of a 16GB card is such that I'm actually considering buying a few fistfuls of them and retiring them as backups once filled. 

44 minutes ago, SrMi said:

MicroSD is too fussy for me, easy to drop, hard to pick up. I prefer to switch to the more robust CFexpress Type A.

Type A is as fussy as SD plus currently comes in limited capacities at significant premium, typical Sony construct.  

If forthcoming and future M camera can swallow larger Q/SL type battery surely it could swallow CF Express B type memory card.  Maybe in next few iterations mechanical shutter disappears completely, who knows they put IBIS instead.  In Leica case the switch from SD to robust CF Express will probably happen by the time CF Express is superseded by something else in 20 or so years time 😂

7 minutes ago, Tailwagger said:

As far a storage goes, IMO it would be silly to move away from SD.  Frankly it would tick me off a bit given even Apple has figured this out with the new Mac Pros.  The cost of a 16GB card is such that I'm actually considering buying a few fistfuls of them and retiring them as backups once filled. 

With marketing strategy focused on incremental models being adorned with red dot followed by no red dot & top script I wouldn't be concerned Leica moving away from SD any time soon.  Even the "pro" S3 uses SD in slot one and old Compact Flash  in slot 2 (ref spec on B&H Photo). 

21 minutes ago, mmradman said:

Type A is as fussy as SD plus currently comes in limited capacities at significant premium, typical Sony construct.  

If forthcoming and future M camera can swallow larger Q/SL type battery surely it could swallow CF Express B type memory card.  Maybe in next few iterations mechanical shutter disappears completely, who knows they put IBIS instead.  In Leica case the switch from SD to robust CF Express will probably happen by the time CF Express is superseded by something else in 20 or so years time 😂

I use CFExpress Type A on my Sony A1 and prefer them to the SD cards (robustness). However, the Type A slot is compatible with SD cards, and most Leica owners already own SD cards, so they would not need to buy new cards.
Most manufacturers add CFExpress because of speed, not robustness, which is a nice side-effect, IMO. However, Leica cameras do not need a higher card speed than SD UHS-II.

5 hours ago, lct said:

Are some CFExpress cards as compact as SD ones? Just curious.

Slight change of topic. A regular case for CF cards is just the right size to hold 39mm filters. And that is the filter size for all four of my M lenses. I think it is the most common filter size for M lenses in general.

Historically, probably. In the 1960s one could get an all-39mm 21/35/50/90/135 kit.

But since 1990 or so Leica has been migrating towards E46 as the standard diameter. Only E39s for M still made are 28mm 2.8 ASPH, 50mm f/2.0 (APO or not), 35 f/2.0 ASPH, 90 Macro-Elmar.

Even the 35/50 Summarit-Ms were migrated to E46 - before being killed off altogether.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My Summarit 90, 35 and Lux 50 ASPH and Zeiss 21 and CV35/1.7 all take 46mm filters. (For my Zeiss 50/2 I bought a step up ring)

and that makes my life simpler and makes me happy.

back OT and FWIW I’d like to see Leica stick with SD cards (Hopefully time for UHS-II at the very least though)