Leica M11 - your next camera? {MERGED}

Al Brown

"Leica M11 - your next camera?"

As a user of the M10M, I thought about this for a long time and came to the conclusion that the M10-R is the optimal camera for me. The same battery and the identical accessories. And my only criticism of the M10 series, the weak EVF, for the use with my R-lenses, should get an update with the M11 and be backward compatible with the M10 series. Therefore, no long wait but immediately a M10-R as an ideal complement to my M10-M.

4 minutes ago, strohscw said:

"Leica M11 - your next camera?"

As a user of the M10M, I thought about this for a long time and came to the conclusion that the M10-R is the optimal camera for me. The same battery and the identical accessories. And my only criticism of the M10 series, the weak EVF, for the use with my R-lenses, should get an update with the M11 and be backward compatible with the M10 series. Therefore, no long wait but immediately a M10-R as an ideal complement to my M10-M.

What tells you that the new EVF will be available before the M11 is ? 😉 hint hint 

Interesting to read Imagepower's observation (post #13) within the link in Al's post above (#3125);

"Another cosmetical change is the front line of the top cover. Where the magnification button on the M10 series sat, the line is a bit "higher". On the right side (viewfinder window) nothing has changed. So it is no straight line any more, it is divided where the bayonet sits."

Not that it is very likely to happen but this feature will make any future M11D a bit of a stylistic challenge. With the M11 my guess is that the disparity between higher- and lower leatherette can easily be resolved, visually-speaking, at the rear because there is a screen in the middle so the covering will be higher to the right and lower to the left. The lack of a screen on any D version would require another solution to be found.

But there will not be a D so 'purely academic'...

Philip.

1 hour ago, NigelG said:

Except if you look closely the bottom edge of the top plate steps back up to the right of the viewfinder...

Well spotted, Nigel! Which makes the front-edge shape of the top-plate quite interesting. Does the lower part of the v/f window overhang the body-shell or is the shell profiled to mate with the top-plate?

It's hard to see much detail on my screen but I will look forward to having it in the hand 'in the fullness of time'...

I do like the effect!

Philip.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the enlargements, Ict.

I'm pretty sure Leica have been 'playing around' with the visual ratios concerning 'above the crease-line to below the crease-line' for a long while but this is the first time I've ever seen the v/f window framed below the top-cover / body-cover split.

It would still be nice to know whether the 'skin' is cut-down to make way for a flush-fitting v/f window or if there is a cutaway on the top-plate behind the part of the v/f which 'hangs' below the body-covering.

Very interesting from a design-detail POV.

Thanks again!

Philip.

Edited by pippy
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, IkarusJohn said:

It really does look like something has happened to the viewfinder …

In a purely 'visual' sense it is (AFAIK) the first time ever that the v/f window has dipped below the level of the top-plate / body-skin covering divide.

If true then, of course, not massively important in any 'meaningful' way but from a design perspective quite fascinating in itself.

Philip.

17 minutes ago, FrozenInTime said:

Has weather sealing the top plate controls pushed the whole rangefinder and viewfinder assembly downwards ?

No the top plate has become shallower and the body covering taller. So the top plate line is higher on the rear. Is there a larger/flush or larger+ flush (or tilting) screen on the back that is benefitting from more real-estate?

Edited by NigelG

57 minutes ago, Artin said:
  • new 60MP sensor
  • tethering support
  • substantial step forward from the current M10 models (not sure what exactly this means)

this is interesting 60mpx sensor.?     ok time to get a new super computer 

A $1.7k Mac Mini M1 will do just fine.

• Fang changed the title to Leak image of M11
  • jaapv changed the title to Leica M11 - your next camera? {MERGED}