Leica M11 - your next camera? {MERGED}

Al Brown

If I were in Leica's shoes, and I had a camera ready to go ... then had to delay it for some months, I'd be using that time to make improvements ...

Side note for those suggesting an SL2 instead of an EVF M - got it.  Repeating it doesn't make it any more valid ... the discussion wasn't really about a camera designed for AF and video, and the best lenses for 135 format without compromise for size and weight ... it was about a camera with an M mount, designed for small manual focus lenses of the best quality, minimalist in design and with no video.

But hey, whatever floats your boat.  M means meßsucher!

• Like 4

vor 3 Stunden schrieb IkarusJohn:

If I were in Leica's shoes, and I had a camera ready to go ... then had to delay it for some months, I'd be using that time to make improvements ...

If I were in Leica‘s shoes, and I had a camera ready to go … then had to delay it for some months, I wouldn‘t change a thing, as the design freeze happened at least a year ago, all the Capex investments would be done, all tools and manufacturing lines set up, supplier orders submitted, the shop floor people trained. The folks on the industrialization side usually don‘t work on tech improvements unless something doesn‘t work as expected. That‘s the job of the engineering team which will already work on the M12, or hybridM12, irrespective of the launch of the M11.

• Like 4

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I for one would love to use an m10, especially since the form factor is like the m6. I really hope the m11 doesn’t have an EVF. If it did have an EVF, then I would expect the used m10 prices to actually increase significantly, which would not be good for me haha! 

I was under the impression that the main appeal for rangefinder cameras are seeing through the window, if that is taken away, then wouldn’t that alienate the majority of M users? I’m not too worried, I don’t think Leica will introduce an EVF, 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Simone_DF said:

I'm in only for the glass.

M glass is excellent. M lenses are jewel-like in that they are small, of excellent physical design and a pleasure both to look at (there is a mystique to the curved glass and its coloured reflections) and to use. But don't confuse this with meaning that they are the very 'best' optics available, especially today. Many makers produce stunningly good lenses even if they don't have many of the characteristics listed above.

It seems to me that what is actually wanted is the fulfilment of a concept - a small, beautifully produced, iconic embodiment of a modern version of a historically unique camera series. One which offers thoroughly modern technology and functionality. In a way I have no problem with this other than to be bemused by the often blinkered view of its limitations and implications for Leica.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, M8X2 said:

If I were in Leica‘s shoes, and I had a camera ready to go … then had to delay it for some months, I wouldn‘t change a thing, as the design freeze happened at least a year ago, all the Capex investments would be done, all tools and manufacturing lines set up, supplier orders submitted, the shop floor people trained. The folks on the industrialization side usually don‘t work on tech improvements unless something doesn‘t work as expected. That‘s the job of the engineering team which will already work on the M12, or hybridM12, irrespective of the launch of the M11.

So, the work all the beta testers doing now is irrelevant as it was completed a year ago?  I don’t think so.

Much of what you talk of is hard wear.  Development will be in electronics and software - a year is a lifetime in that field.

1 hour ago, Simone_DF said:

I'm in only for the glass

+1 also for the compactness of Leica Ms since the seventies. SLRs that compact did not exist yet. Nowadays TTL cameras can be very compact thanks to LV and EVFs so M lens lovers, or at least some of them, would like a compact TTL dedicated to them. Easy to understand except by some RF users for some mysterious ;) reasons...

9 minutes ago, pgk said:

M glass is excellent. M lenses are jewel-like in that they are small, of excellent physical design and a pleasure both to look at (there is a mystique to the curved glass and its coloured reflections) and to use. But don't confuse this with meaning that they are the very 'best' optics available, especially today. Many makers produce stunningly good lenses even if they don't have many of the characteristics listed above.

It seems to me that what is actually wanted is the fulfilment of a concept - a small, beautifully produced, iconic embodiment of a modern version of a historically unique camera series. One which offers thoroughly modern technology and functionality. In a way I have no problem with this other than to be bemused by the often blinkered view of its limitations and implications for Leica.

Yup, M glass is small and excellent. I never said it was the best. It probably was up until 10-15 years ago, but things have changed and competitors and technology have evolved. 

I don't care about "iconic embodiment" either. I always found the M to have very awkward ergonomics to be honest. You could shape it differently and I'd be more than happy. All I want is a full frame camera with EFV and IBIS optimized for M glass that is tinier than the current SL. I'd actually prefer the L mount so I can use the Sigmas as well, but M mount is ok too. Anything else won't cannibalize my sale. I won't buy a rangefinder M11 and I won't buy another chunky SL3 either. I'd rather go Panasonic S5.

Call it M, SL3, SLTiny, full frame CL2, whatever.

• Like 1

I'm in for the whole package: 

rangefinder, camera, lenses, size, look, design, quality, tactile feel, handling, heritage, history, coolness, simplicity, stealthiness, unobtrusiveness, purity, essence …

– and so on … 😉 

Edited by evikne
  • Like 4

• Fang changed the title to Leak image of M11
  • jaapv changed the title to Leica M11 - your next camera? {MERGED}