Sigma 35mm f2 DG DN on my Leica CL

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Previously owned the the TL 35mm but for me found it a bit on the bulky/heavy side so sold it and with the proceeds purchased the the lighter and more compact Sigma full frame 35mm f2 DG DN.

One of my best decisions. As far as I can see the image quality and colour rendering is as good as any shots taken with the TL. The all metal build is superb and of course unlike the TL it has an aperture ring plus an auto manual switch. Although I generally shoot in P mode I quite like the option to switch to A mode. On turning the aperture ring away from auto the camera switches seamlessly to a A mode and likewise seamlessly back to A mode when the aperture ring is returned.

Photos taken yesterday on fishermans beach Hythe UK. auto adjusted with perfectly clear dehaze.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Geoff B said:

Previously owned the the TL 35mm but for me found it a bit on the bulky/heavy side so sold it and with the proceeds purchased the the lighter and more compact Sigma full frame 35mm f2 DG DN.

One of my best decisions. As far as I can see the image quality and colour rendering is as good as any shots taken with the TL. The all metal build is superb and of course unlike the TL it has an aperture ring plus an auto manual switch. Although I generally shoot in P mode I quite like the option to switch to A mode. On turning the aperture ring away from auto the camera switches seamlessly to a A mode and likewise seamlessly back to A mode when the aperture ring is returned.

Photos taken yesterday on fishermans beach Hythe UK. auto adjusted with perfectly clear dehaze.

Impressive pics! That Sigma was on my 35mm short list for my CL but last minute decided for the Voigtländer Ultron, now waiting for delivery. Will be interesting to "compare". Pls enlighten what is auto dehaze?

Thank you for the sample pictures. Tempting. It was the size and weight which put me off buying the Leica 35mm lens. In my view, too much attention is paid to the size of the initial aperture. For most general photography,  f/2.8 is ample which is why I so enjoy using the Leica Elmarit lenses.

1 hour ago, RM8 said:

Impressive pics! That Sigma was on my 35mm short list for my CL but last minute decided for the Voigtländer Ultron, now waiting for delivery. Will be interesting to "compare". Pls enlighten what is auto dehaze?

Perfectly clear is a free downloadable piece of cut down software. One of the auto adjusts is dehaze which in my view does a better job of auto adjusting than lightroom. i note Ken Rockwell uses it for portraits. (See his review of the Fuji X100F)

• Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, lct said:

Interesting thank you. Would you mind to show the lens on the CL?

No problem. Shown fitted with filter and lens cap. Also comes with a magnetic lens cap but doesn't work too well with a filter fitted.

Another shot on hythe beach

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

39 minutes ago, Michael Markey said:

Lovely shot although I must say that I couldn`t imagine getting rid of my TL 35 .

One of the nicest lenses I`ve owned and indeed currently own.

You are right it is a very impressive lens. I just prefer to go as light weight and compact as possible and of course the Sigma is almost a quarter of the price of the TL so it was also a factor for me.

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

Would you please post the images withoutrunning them through a dehaze filter? The images have a strange over processed look to me. Were you going for an AF lens? Just thinking that there are smaller 35s out there for the TL/CL, most are M mount a couple in L mount, here Sigma seems to be the only AF options other than Leica. Glad you are liking your lens.

On 9/22/2021 at 7:53 PM, V2cruise said:

I just received mine but found that the aperture ring does not function on my TL2. Strange that it works on the CL but wouldn't work on the TL2. Auto focusing seems to hunt a bit too. 

Leica never came out with the promised firmware update for the TL2 that enable non Leica lenses to fully work on the TL2. The CL are ok.

I have the Sigma 24/3.5, on the CL it work like a dream, but on my TL2 the aperture ring does not work and the autofokus are slow and hunts.

See L-mount compatibility dated 27.03.2019.

L-Mount_Compatibility_EN-2019-03.pdf

• Like 2

3 hours ago, odin said:

Leica never came out with the promised firmware update for the TL2 that enable non Leica lenses to fully work on the TL2. The CL are ok.

I have the Sigma 24/3.5, on the CL it work like a dream, but on my TL2 the aperture ring does not work and the autofokus are slow and hunts.

See L-mount compatibility dated 27.03.2019.

L-Mount_Compatibility_EN-2019-03.pdf 659.42 kB · 1 download

Thank you. As much as I enjoy the ergonomics and innovative user interface of the TL2, I find it very annoying that Leica would not provide updates to a camera they are still selling! I purchased it less than a year ago and am otherwise very happy with it, but the bugs are getting to me. I've gotten used to APS-C from years with the Fuji system and am not interested in going full frame so perhaps it's time to give up on the TL.