Sigma L 24/3.5 DG DN

bags27

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I rarely shoot digital, but I try to stay current, and Reid just reviewed this lens on the SL2, and it's really a knockout. Reid doesn't usually post photos nearly as compelling as Jono's, but in this case they are pretty amazing. So's the price: $550. Wish I could link, but he has a tough paywall.

Edited by bags27
  • Like 2

There are plenty of happy Sigma 24/3.5 DG DN users on this forum, myself included, as well as on Fred Miranda Forums.

In my opinion, the Sigma 24/3.5 on the L-mount is like the 24mm SEM on the M-mount. Both are wonderful on their respective bodies. It’s not a sexy lens per say, as far as maximum aperture goes, but it strikes the perfect balance between size, weight, image quality, and utility in real-world shooting for this focal length.

There’s more discussion here:

Edited by beewee
  • Like 2

I recently acquired this lens, it's excellent in every way. Resolution is good both in full frame images as well as close up and @ min. focusing distance. Here's a close up image I took of a miniature frog with the lens.

10 hours ago, bags27 said:

I rarely shoot digital, but I try to stay current, and Reid just reviewed this lens on the SL2, and it's really a knockout. Reid doesn't usually post photos nearly as compelling as Jono's, but in this case they are pretty amazing. So's the price: $550. Wish I could link, but he has a tough paywall.

I love the B&W shots of the orchard.  Both the wide shots and the close ups look very beautiful.

I've had this lens a while now (along with the 45mm 2.8) and it really is great.  I love shooting small, slower lenses for a lot of my work.  

I love shooting my APO35SL but I really wish Leica would produce a nice set of compact slow prime lenses for the SL.  A nice 28/35/50mm f2.8 or f3.4 would be most welcome.

Edited by SiOnara

The 24mm is a lens that really changed my view on what is possible for a given price point. I recently added the 35mm, which is also great, but I think I will sell it when I get an opportunity to get the 35mm APO SL. The 24mm, on the other hand, is something I am unlikely to sell. For a slightly less used focal length, it is inexpensive, very small and light, and optically excellent. I am usually the harshest critic of lenses optical performance, and it really is hard to find much wrong with this one. If anything, perhaps it does not have the microcontrast of the best Leica lenses, but it is still sharp and contrasty from edge to edge. The value to performance ratio is incredible, and I think it is a better lens than a number of the Leica lenses I have used recently. The 23mm Summicron, for example, does not compare well...

• Like 3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just bought this lens, so far so good, there is an update ver.1.1 FW available from Sigma Global.

These new lenses from Sigma are 'game changing' especially for the SL/SL2/S1 etc etc because the size and build as well as the excellent image quality at that price is AMAZING!

I already own the 45mm, together they are a fantastic tight kit for my CL, I am awaiting news about a possible 14mm in this series (you heard it here first ;) ). That would be a perfect hatrick for me. The 35/2 and 65/2 would be the polish and would still be a lightweight and small kit bag to carry around.

Edited by Marac
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

I have an SL2-S on order to join my M10M and M lenses to provide flexibility to my kit - color, video, lens choice, IBIS, etc. The bonus is its high ISO capability which, with the astounding high ISO capability of the M10M, gives me a nice one-two punch for low light photography. While the native Leica SL lenses are superb, they are just too big and heavy for the way I like to work. So while I planned on relying on my manual M and R glass (with adapters) I also desired one or two small AF primes to round things out. The new Sigma Contemporary lenses are just the ticket and the reviews I’ve seen (Reid, Brownstone and others) clearly indicate that I don’t have to give up IQ and build quality in my search for compact, light, autofocus walkabout lenses. Accordingly, I’m adding the 45 f2.8 and 24 F3.5 Sigmas to the stable - spending a total of $1,000 for the lenses as opposed to $10,000+ for Leica SL primes. When everything is in place I’ll post some pictures here, but from what I’ve seen so far I expect to be very pleased.  

As all others already said: The lens is really, really good and the price extremely fair. It‘s a joy to use, touch and work with.

And beside being great for a lot of purposes, you can even do really cool macros.The attached one is cropped for format, not more.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 5

What is interesting about that article is how different the L mount market is than the FE mount. There really are not any alternatives in the L mount, not even a 24mm Summicron. So in that context, I think it is great that we can get a very well built, high performing native lens that costs less than the list price of the UV filter for the 24mm S lens. https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1204604-REG/leica_13043_e95_uva_ii_filter.html

• 1 month later...

As someone who is beginning to look at Leica R lenses to shoot on a Panasonic S5, I wonder how this compares with the Elmarit R 24mm, or the Minolta 24mm f2.8? The Elmarit is very well regarded, but this lens doesn't look like a slouch. I presume the rendering would be very different, though. It just occurred to me that the Sigma I series is Sigma's modern day equivalent of the Elmarit and Summicron R lenses, in a way.

Here’s the full frame 100 MP multi-shot with SL2-S + 24mm f/3.5 DN DG.

Click on crops below for higher res image. Probably one of the sharpest <$2000 lens on the market.

Edited by beewee
  • Like 6

Center crop

Middle right

• Like 1

Top left

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Archiver said:

As someone who is beginning to look at Leica R lenses to shoot on a Panasonic S5, I wonder how this compares with the Elmarit R 24mm, or the Minolta 24mm f2.8? The Elmarit is very well regarded, but this lens doesn't look like a slouch. I presume the rendering would be very different, though. It just occurred to me that the Sigma I series is Sigma's modern day equivalent of the Elmarit and Summicron R lenses, in a way.

In a direct comparison, the Leica R 24mm is a tiny bit sharper in the centre, but significantly softer in the corners. I like Leica glass but the Sigma is the better lens, no contest

• Thanks 1