SVE 16-35 or Summilux M 21 1.4 ?

seekwul

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have been shooting M for 25 years; picked up an SL2 w SVE 24-90 back in November. Trying to decide between the SVE 16-35 for the SL or an M Summilux 21 that I can use on both (semi epic birthday gift to myself). Looking at mint used examples.... and one shop that has both. 

I can think of good reasons to go either way. Can’t find many reviews of the 16-35 but what I’ve read is positive. Anyone have any thoughts on this ?

the Vario SL is very good but big and heavy.

I was trying to decide between 21mm Lux and 21 SEM.

The Summilux has a softer look wide open and gets sharper at 5.6. It is a typical character of 1.4 lenses.

I started using the 21mm 3.4 lens on the M10-P and SL2. it is good quality, small and light. I like the lens better focusing on the M camera. The SL2 camera focusing is tricky , been 3.4  it is hard to tell when it is crisp . It is better to shoot at F8 and most of it is in focus. On top of that there aren't any hard stop that works on M to L adapters, It always goes past infinity.

The 21 Summilux will be much easer to focus.

I would suggest trying them all. if you main purpose is landscape I would get the SL-16-35 , you will have more fine details in the photos. If you are trying to do portraits and isolate subjects, the 21 Lux would be my pick.

there is always the very light Panasonic version of 16-35. and sigma 14-..

this is an image of the 21 SEM at 3.4 with SL2

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 7

I shoot mostly street photography, with some landscape. The Vario is appealing because it's autofocus (older eyes) and is a zoom; the Summilux is appealing because I could theoretically use it on both bodies, if I wanted to (although I've had a 21 2.8 for years and don't shoot it that often). The lenses are definitely very different; I'm just trying to figure out which one I'd use more. 

You should also take a serious look at the Sigma 14-24mm f/2.8 DG DN (don’t confuse it with the older DG HSM version). The DG DN is a fantastic lens and amazing bang for the buck. It’s IQ is comparable to the 16-35, if not slightly better on the wider end between 16-21mm. It will also perform better on the corners on the SL2 as compared to all the wide angle M primes when used on the SL2.

• Like 6

I tried the 21mm SEM on the SL2 and M10, and I found that it suffered slightly in the corners on the SL2 in comparison to the M10. I also found that the 24mm Sigma DG DN compact prime was sharper in the edges and corners. The SEM had more snap on center.

If you intend to use the lens on both bodies, I think the SEM is a great choice. Small and compact, sharp and practical. The 21mm lux is another animal, and frankly not really that comparable to the zoom lenses. It is really best used for shooting very wide in low light, or getting a bit of isolation at a very wide angle. It is not as sharp as any of the other lenses mentioned.

I love the image rendered by the 21/1.4 wide open, it is a modern lens with less contrast and bite so it might appear "softer" than the other two lenses.   A concern previously mentioned is the corner resolution on a SL(2) body, if important, consider the 16-35.  

Will the one shop that has both let you try them out?  

@seekwul Wondering why not considering a Leica tri elmar 16-18-21 as well? I was considering the SL16-35 and the tri elmar for a while.. for now, just holding on to that thought.. got the Canon 11-24 I like and don’t want to part with.. it provides a super wide angle option when I need it.. which is really why I haven’t got the 16-35 or the tri elmar yet

Edited by aksclix