Detachable Screens

Geoff E

On 4/12/2021 at 1:29 PM, Geoff E said:

For tripod photography, I use my 'phone via the Leica FOTOS app. However, this can get ropey if signal or wifi is an issue. Are there any detachable screens that can be connected to an SL body either via USB or HDMI cables?

Can someone explain the process of attaching a Atomos Shinobi to the SL2?   I have tried via the HDMI port on SL2 to monitor and the monitor shows no input.  Monitor works fine with other cameras, i.e. Nikon, Phase One.  Cable also.  SL2 shows video on it's LCD when recording, but I can't seem to get the video to playback on an external monitor or use the monitor while recording video.  Any help would be appreciated. 

Also, can someone confirm if you can at least view the Live View on an external monitor for stills photography? 

I may have a bad port on camera, but wanted to ask this forum. 

Paul C 

Hello.

Could be a cable issue? All monitors (or monitor/recorder) I tried with my SL2 worked well, save for a couple of issues that could all be pinned downed to a cable fault. I had a coiled Atomos HMDI cable that was very fragile in the end (very expensive)... and couldn't handle data flow when using 4K at 60fps.... Other than that the HDMI port of the camera seems robust.

• 5.5" Swit Monitor
  • Atomos Shinobi
  • Atomos Ninja V
  • 7" Small HD DP07
  • A regular TV
  • A Casio Projector

The only thing to know is that if you hit "play" on the camera, the camera LCD will remain grey with a "play" symbol. It keeps functioning for touch, zoom, navigating the picture very smoothly. I like that. For video, unless you need total silence, the Ninja V is great because it saves the take on its SSD so you can play back instantly regradless what the camera is doing (or ON/OFF...)

4 hours ago, Geoff E said:

If the Atomos Shinobi is the answer (I am using a SL not SL2), can you control the camera functions (eg Shutter speed, ISO etc) from it and can it perform HDR like it states?

The Ninja can start/stop video recording, but that's all. The Shinobi doesn't record, so I doubt it can trigger camera recording (best to check the manual).

You can load LUTs on the monitor to monitor HDR when shooting video in LOG mode.

6 hours ago, Geoff E said:

If the Atomos Shinobi is the answer (I am using a SL not SL2), can you control the camera functions (eg Shutter speed, ISO etc) from it and can it perform HDR like it states?

Sadly no. Only dedicated app can do that, or some SmallHD monitor will allow you to do this with selected advanced cine-camera like a RED or Arri Alexa. No such thing for us. But the ergonomic of SL line doent really call for this ;)

Thanks for the responses.  I have ordered a new cable.  Just wanted to double check, do you need to make any changes via the SL2 menu to enable viewing on the Atomos? Or do you just need to plug in the monitor and it automatically picks up the HDMI feed from camera. 

Also, does anyone use same monitor for viewing Live View with stills?  Needing an alternative for work that takes me low to the ground and since the LCD is fixed it is limiting. 

And on Video, is an external monitor useable for watching video capture? or only playback. 

Paul 

28 minutes ago, Paul2660 said:

does anyone use same monitor for viewing Live View with stills?  Needing an alternative for work that takes me low to the ground and since the LCD is fixed it is limiting. 

Why not just give it a try? It should work.

28 minutes ago, Paul2660 said:

is an external monitor useable for watching video capture?

Don’t see why that wouldn’t work.

Red Dot Forum films all their live camera talks with an SL2/SL2-S, including image playback and shooting stills. It’s all just streamed from a camera to a USB 4k HDMI video grabber and streamed on Youtube. They have splitters that also go to studio TVs/monitors so they can see the camera feed as well.

You can use an external HDMI monitor as an extention of the back LCD for Still and Video work. Only when in "playback" mode (still or video, doesnt matter) does the viewing on the camera back screen goes off, but you can still use the touch function. It not a minus at all, as the screen becomes a large touch pad to zoom in, navigate inside and scroll trhough images.

thanks to all, I got it working.  Appears I had a bad cable to start.  Works actually quite well with the Shinobi both for video (record/playback) and Stills Live View.  Not perfect as a simple tilting LCD would have been better, however I can appreciate Lecia's decision in some regards. 

With a hot shoe mount the Atomos works well for situations where I need to get low.  Only issue is the location of the battery on the Atomos, being directly behind the monitor. 

Paul 

Hi Paul,

Glad that worked out for you.  I also have the Shinobi and I wonder what the issue is with the battery behind the monitor? Can you elaborate on your specific use?  I mostly use the Shenobi with a 100 macro R lens on an SL2.

Stefan. 

• 1 year later...
On 4/20/2021 at 12:37 PM, Paul2660 said:

thanks to all, I got it working.  Appears I had a bad cable to start.  Works actually quite well with the Shinobi both for video (record/playback) and Stills Live View.  Not perfect as a simple tilting LCD would have been better, however I can appreciate Lecia's decision in some regards. 

With a hot shoe mount the Atomos works well for situations where I need to get low.  Only issue is the location of the battery on the Atomos, being directly behind the monitor. 

Paul 

Paul,

What cable did end up with?  That worked.

I ordered several brands via Amazon. The first one I tried worked so I sent the rest back. I will try to see if it has a brand name.   
The Atomos works well and is easy to see in bright light. Only wish you could control the camera menu from the external monitor. 
Still hope Leica figures out a way to add a tilting screen if they come out with a SL3. 

Paul

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Paul2660 said:

Still hope Leica figures out a way to add a tilting screen if they come out with a SL3. 

A couple of months ago, there's been an official survey on Leica SL system users' preferred articulated screen designs. Very likely, the SL3/S will show Leica's take on tilting screens. I would welcome that very much.