Jump to content

Contax G Lenses on Digital M Bodies


Recommended Posts

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hey! I recently saw some G-to-M converter and I was wondering if anyone in here is using Contax lenses on M bodies? Obviously it will have to be focused with Live View I'd be particular interested in using my Sonnar 90mm and 21mm.

As much as I would love to get both lenses from Leica - at the moment I'm really not in for gears-shopping!

Any advise would be appreciated!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Make sure that the G to M convertors include a focussing ring or some other means of focussing because Contax G lenses were autofocus so there's no way to focus the lens manually.

Pete.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I know of Contax G to Leica M conversion kits, but so far, I haven't seen an adapter.

Converting a lens from Contax G to Leica M mount means you will have to take the lens apart and modify the focusing mechanism in order to make it work on an M camera. I used to have the Contax G 90mm Sonnar and used it on digital mirrorless cameras, but that was with adapters that made use of the original focusing mechanism.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, jonnyboy said:

ahh right, yeah i thought those c/y adapters had some focus mechanism but now that I'm looking at it they dont! Gutted!

If it's described as a C/Y adapter it's probably for  the Contax/Yashica SLR mount, which is different to the G mount (and different again to the N mount used on the NX AF SLR). The C/Y SLR lenses have mechanical focusing rings. Still no rangefinder coupling, of course.

Edited by Anbaric
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jonnyboy said:

ahh right, yeah i thought those c/y adapters had some focus mechanism but now that I'm looking at it they dont! Gutted!

I recall that some time ago there was a vendor on eBay who was selling the focussing mount/conversion kits for the 90/2.8 Sonnar, or if you sent him your 90/2.8 Sonnar he would convert it for you for a quite reasonable charge, or he would sell you a converted 90/2.8 Sonnar - whichever you preferred. 

I don't recall him offering other Contax G focal lengths at the time but he might have branched out by now.

Pete.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

45 minutes ago, farnz said:

I recall that some time ago there was a vendor on eBay who was selling the focussing mount/conversion kits for the 90/2.8 Sonnar, or if you sent him your 90/2.8 Sonnar he would convert it for you for a quite reasonable charge, or he would sell you a converted 90/2.8 Sonnar - whichever you preferred. 

I don't recall him offering other Contax G focal lengths at the time but he might have branched out by now.

Pete.

I just found available  on eBay various  Hawks conversion kits for the 21, 28, 35 and  45mm Contax G lenses but at a price:

https://www.ebay.fr/sch/leica898/m.html?item=124558989430&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

Best, JM

Edited by JMF
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, JMF said:

More about these types of conversions discussed  on RFF:

https://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=173261&highlight=45+contax

 

Cheers, JM

I purchased a copy of the Contax G35 converted-to-M lens and it works perfectly on my M9/MM.. It was said that the vendor in Hong Kong will release a G45 version of the lens soon.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
53 minutes ago, ocean2059 said:

I purchased a copy of the Contax G35 converted-to-M lens and it works perfectly on my M9/MM.. It was said that the vendor in Hong Kong will release a G45 version of the lens soon.  

I have a leica M converted G45 f2 lens. A fine performer  , unfortunately not with me at the moment . 

Edited by JMF
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...