Contax G Lenses on Digital M Bodies

jonnyboy

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hey! I recently saw some G-to-M converter and I was wondering if anyone in here is using Contax lenses on M bodies? Obviously it will have to be focused with Live View I'd be particular interested in using my Sonnar 90mm and 21mm.

As much as I would love to get both lenses from Leica - at the moment I'm really not in for gears-shopping!

Any advise would be appreciated!

I know of Contax G to Leica M conversion kits, but so far, I haven't seen an adapter.

Converting a lens from Contax G to Leica M mount means you will have to take the lens apart and modify the focusing mechanism in order to make it work on an M camera. I used to have the Contax G 90mm Sonnar and used it on digital mirrorless cameras, but that was with adapters that made use of the original focusing mechanism.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jonnyboy said:

ahh right, yeah i thought those c/y adapters had some focus mechanism but now that I'm looking at it they dont! Gutted!

If it's described as a C/Y adapter it's probably for  the Contax/Yashica SLR mount, which is different to the G mount (and different again to the N mount used on the NX AF SLR). The C/Y SLR lenses have mechanical focusing rings. Still no rangefinder coupling, of course.

Edited by Anbaric
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, jonnyboy said:

ahh right, yeah i thought those c/y adapters had some focus mechanism but now that I'm looking at it they dont! Gutted!

I recall that some time ago there was a vendor on eBay who was selling the focussing mount/conversion kits for the 90/2.8 Sonnar, or if you sent him your 90/2.8 Sonnar he would convert it for you for a quite reasonable charge, or he would sell you a converted 90/2.8 Sonnar - whichever you preferred. 

I don't recall him offering other Contax G focal lengths at the time but he might have branched out by now.

Pete.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

45 minutes ago, farnz said:

I recall that some time ago there was a vendor on eBay who was selling the focussing mount/conversion kits for the 90/2.8 Sonnar, or if you sent him your 90/2.8 Sonnar he would convert it for you for a quite reasonable charge, or he would sell you a converted 90/2.8 Sonnar - whichever you preferred. 

I don't recall him offering other Contax G focal lengths at the time but he might have branched out by now.

Pete.

I just found available  on eBay various  Hawks conversion kits for the 21, 28, 35 and  45mm Contax G lenses but at a price:

https://www.ebay.fr/sch/leica898/m.html?item=124558989430&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

Best, JM

Edited by JMF

12 minutes ago, JMF said:

More about these types of conversions discussed  on RFF:

https://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=173261&highlight=45+contax

Cheers, JM

I purchased a copy of the Contax G35 converted-to-M lens and it works perfectly on my M9/MM.. It was said that the vendor in Hong Kong will release a G45 version of the lens soon.  

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, ocean2059 said:

I purchased a copy of the Contax G35 converted-to-M lens and it works perfectly on my M9/MM.. It was said that the vendor in Hong Kong will release a G45 version of the lens soon.  

I have a leica M converted G45 f2 lens. A fine performer  , unfortunately not with me at the moment . 

Edited by JMF

• 2 years later...

The manufacturer "rework-lens" sells Leica M-mount converters for Contax 21, 28, 35 and 45 on Ebay.
But I can't find any more information on the subject.

https://www.ebay.de/str/reworklens?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=707-127634-2357-0&ssspo=PYpjxpJ9Szu&sssrc=3418065&ssuid=CmGjtfulSqa&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Thanks 1

vor 18 Stunden schrieb Ecar:

Funleader (the HK seller referred to in the previous posts, I believe) makes pretty good G35 and G45 non-destructive conversion kits. Not sure if G35 is still available, as it's not for sale on their website at the moment.

Yes, but they don't have any solutions for 21 and 28 mm.

• 4 months later...
On 9/9/2023 at 5:41 AM, Krycek said:

The manufacturer "rework-lens" sells Leica M-mount converters for Contax 21, 28, 35 and 45 on Ebay.
But I can't find any more information on the subject.

https://www.ebay.de/str/reworklens?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=707-127634-2357-0&ssspo=PYpjxpJ9Szu&sssrc=3418065&ssuid=CmGjtfulSqa&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Wanted to let anyone who might be interested know that I just received my 28, 45, and 90 conversion kits from this seller. I asked many questions before buying and they were helpful and responsive. I have converted all three and they look and feel fantastic. Much better than I expected, and significantly better than the photos in the listing, I think. Have only used them on a film camera so far but am happy to follow up with digital tests if anyone is interested. They didn't have all of the helicoids listed when I first started looking, but when I messaged them asking about the rest, he did have some and immediately listed them for sale. Quite happy so far!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

25 minutes ago, Carlos cruz said:

I have converted planar 45, took me 10 mins and I am really happy with the  lens.  Did you convert 90 yourself, I’ve read that it’s a bit more complicated process involving grinding cam follower.

I was willing to try the 90mm conversion myself, but the seller also said it was quite tricky and offered to sell me a pre-converted lens for a good price. I ended up taking that offer instead.

• Like 2